GPS

D

DIAD4 is Good

The DIAD 4 will take a gps recording upon stop complete, recording the coordinates. Many samples will be taken to get good measurement of where the stop actually is. It will give you a green light within 25 yards. With addition to notes, this will aid with the new drivers big time. Also think about this, with this new system in place, area trace could be learned by the system, making trace what the driver does each day, which is big bonus..would just take time for the "system" to figure out that 101 main street is always before 103 main street. Very simple but non the least not always happening (bad example, but you get my drift). After the battery issues get taken care of, this could measure the route itself instead of time study guys. Since GPS measures longitude and lattitude, all that would be needed would be to put sensors on doors, cart and something to tell when the car stopped. I heard time studies right now with their pda is about 98% accuracte, thats pretty good being human. Imagine the gap lessening with the DIAD being used for it. Regardless, it couldnt count when a customer asked you a question, or sensed when you were waiting at a door, unless it saw you pausing at the same coordinates. Anyway..that's what I heard about it. I think it will be a great system, being able to tell you that you are nearby, but you should have been nearby anyway, because trace was right, right?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In an earlier post on this thread, oldster, who seems to be involved and has a lot of tech knowledge on this stuff, stated that this GPS upgrade is to cut misdeliveries by 30%. Why didn't the goal for this be 90% or so? I don't understand how being on the next street over or ten houses down the street will accomplish that. With EDD, when you scan the tracking number, the correct address pops up, reading the actual label and DIAD screen should address that. Personally, I don't care that we use this technology, I bid on a route and that is where I am paid to work. I don't feel that the company is spying on me. Back when we were on paper, the boss could pull the Delivery Records from the day before, and figure out where I would be at a certain time. When my wife went into labor with my first son, my on-car and center manager came to my area and found me the first place they looked. No cell phone or DIAD back then.

LKLND3380

I went into the COMM menu and hit 8 and it gave me the long. and lat. Took that info home and loaded it into Google Earth and it showed the parking spot that I was sitting in when I hit that button. I would imagine that the 275 yards is a cushion for the delivery, but the GPS is pretty accurate for actual postition. Just throwing that out there for people afraid of Big Brother.

I am not sure if the diad connects to the package car BUT I was told it can give the mechanic a dagnostic as well as record speed, if you are wearing a seatbelt and if the bulkhead door is closed...

over9five

Staff member
It also reports what you had for lunch, how many times you dropped it, and records the comments you make about the management team.

over9five

Staff member
""..showed the parking spot that I was sitting in.."

Definately gonna try that Monday!"

Tried it today. It was 160' off. Everyone should try it and report here!

browniehound

It really dosen't bother me that UPS can see were I am at any time during the day. Let's face it, with the anount of work they give us, and with all the time commitments, we really have no opportunity to deviate too much from our routes. If you're not trying to hide anything-I believe 99% of us aren't-they what is the big deal?

What gives me a chuckle is the line "We'll be able to dispaich OCA more effectively" The fact that your dot on a map is closer than all other drivers at one point in time to the pick-up, doesn't mean it makes business sense for you to make the PU. Let's face it, UPS dosen't need this expensive technology upgrade to aid in OCA dispatch.:confused:1

breadbooze

How accurate the GPS is depends on how many satellites it's locked onto, your location, and whether it uses "differential" correction. The gov't still has "selective availability" in place at sensitive areas such that GPS error is 50-200 yards. Modern GPS receivers with correction are accurate to within 3 feet, but it is doubtful UPS would pay for such technology. More likely than not the D4 is an 8 channel receiver that locks onto 3 satellites (minimum needed for 2D navigation, since we don't need to know how high we are), and thus prone to higher error. 245 yards would be within the error range for GPS, good enough for deliveries in most parts of the US.

Personally I find it transparent, it doesn't affect how I do my job unless I'm sheeting a nondelivery at a different location.

In an earlier post on this thread, oldster, who seems to be involved and has a lot of tech knowledge on this stuff, stated that this GPS upgrade is to cut misdeliveries by 30%. Why didn't the goal for this be 90% or so?.

The goal was based off of a number of factors. We can't expect to solve the next door mistakes, apartments, and deliveries in major cities where drivers spend all day in the same building. The 30-35% reduction, is a conservative estimate for all claims across the US. Some locations will do better and some may not see much of a change at all.

Personally I find it transparent, it doesn't affect how I do my job unless I'm sheeting a nondelivery at a different location.

This is the best comment I have seen so far. Keep in mind that it is a tool to assist the driver in the cases where an honest mistake is made.

cino321

The DIAD already has the cordinates for the address built in when you download EDD. EDD has the cordinates already because in the past few months or years EDD has been learning the cordinates of your deliveries made.

What if I DR like 10 stops in on one area and then go and deliver them... then what's up... EDD is all screwed up?

3peaks

wicked GT05
It also reports what you had for lunch, how many times you dropped it, and records the comments you make about the management team.

Is'nt that what the "mic" is for.....and they will also know when you are "stealing time" calling your wife and kids...I also heard by 2008 we will be going satlelite with the back-up cam's..but they will be mounted inside the back of the truck...as soon as they can figure out how to make them resist the 130 degree temps.....:thumbup1:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I hope all this "big brother" stuff is a joke. As per Union agreements UPS cannot use the GPS function to follow it's drivers as they do with bigger frieght handling companies and service companies such as Verizon.

brown67

Can we give gps to my preloader so he stops walking into my truck with misloads. Maybe an electric shock to warn him he's in the wrong tuck.:thumbup1:

Cementups

Box Monkey
^^now that would be a cool tool on Preload. shock collars for Preloaders. My old loader would look like he was having seizures all day.

I live approximately 2 miles off my area and have been going home for lunch daily for the past 3 years. My question is with Diad IV coming to our center in the near future should I be concerned about leaving my area for lunch and is the 2 miles I drive home over what is allowed by UPS?

71chevy

Wait a month or two later and it starts going haywire, alarm going off 75 percent of your day when you are at the right address. You really start second guessing youself.

over9five

Staff member
"..should I be concerned about leaving my area for lunch and is the 2 miles I drive home over what is allowed by UPS? "

If it were ME.....and I had been doing this for YEARS..... and I WASN'T a problem.... I would continue to go home for lunch until someone told me not to!

over9five

Staff member
"You really start second guessing youself."

Ain't that the truth!

I stand there. I look at the label.... I look at the house.... I look at the PAL.... I look back at the house.... I scratch my head.... I repeat the last 5 steps....

Then I deliver the package, cuz the GPS alert is WRONG!