Ground meeting tomorrow

vantexan

MFE is employing the Fox News model for his own aims. He believes if he keeps repeating his opinion over and over, it will become seen as fact. If he could get something like Murdoch's billions behind his message, he might have a shot.

Obama spent 5 trillion in 3 years.

Nope, it was true the first time, and heaven help us if he get's re-elected and the Dems get the House back. Don't worry MFE, if they had complete control again we still wouldn't get a union. The money would start flowing their way again and that's another thing that doesn't have to be repeated to be true. What boggles my mind BBSam is you buy into their B.S.. Both parties suck and we need a party that actually tries to do right by the working man, or at least more Democrats like Ken Oberstar(spelling?). Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and the gang are lining their pockets as much as the Republicans are and average Americans are getting screwed. Rant over.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Nope, it was true the first time, and heaven help us if he get's re-elected and the Dems get the House back. Don't worry MFE, if they had complete control again we still wouldn't get a union. The money would start flowing their way again and that's another thing that doesn't have to be repeated to be true. What boggles my mind BBSam is you buy into their B.S.. Both parties suck and we need a party that actually tries to do right by the working man, or at least more Democrats like Ken Oberstar(spelling?). Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and the gang are lining their pockets as much as the Republicans are and average Americans are getting screwed. Rant over.

Oberstar lost his seat during the last election. This sucks, because he absolutely hated Smith and wouldn't play his game.

vantexan

It is Business 101 that your profit is in direct rato to your overhead.

I am not going to argue whether the wage Ground drivers earn is a liveable wage--that is up to each driver to decide for themselves. All I am saying is that if you keep your labor costs down and undercut your competition by 10% (or more) your business will grow.

Look for UPS to begin addressing the wage differential in 2013 by discussing a two-tiered wage system for new FT drivers with a longer progession and lower top out.

UPS works their people pretty hard. The pay would have to be pretty decent with still good benefits to keep from having the revolving door FedEx has. This year they are raising top-out 3% while keeping starting pay the same. I'm wondering if they'll swap that next year. If so and they keep doing it it'll keep raising the middle of the range. That'll keep newhires chasing better raises for many years to come.

vantexan

Oberstar lost his seat during the last election. This sucks, because he absolutely hated Smith and wouldn't play his game.

Oh I know, and even if he had held on, with the Repubs taking the House he'd have lost his power anyways. Absolutely gets my goat that Obama and the Dems were throwing a big chunk of that 5 trillion at their union friends but couldn't see their way to pass the FAA bill/Express Relief Act.

bbsam

Staff member

Nope, it was true the first time, and heaven help us if he get's re-elected and the Dems get the House back. Don't worry MFE, if they had complete control again we still wouldn't get a union. The money would start flowing their way again and that's another thing that doesn't have to be repeated to be true. What boggles my mind BBSam is you buy into their B.S.. Both parties suck and we need a party that actually tries to do right by the working man, or at least more Democrats like Ken Oberstar(spelling?). Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and the gang are lining their pockets as much as the Republicans are and average bAmericans are getting screwed. Rant over.

By all means then, vote the republicans in. If you really believe that the deficit is our biggest problem, then they are the ones for you. The only thing I buy into is that government spending borrowed money ain't a bad deal at 0% interest. And if they have to do it to keep the rest of the economy from imploding because of further lack of demand, then that's a no brainer.

vantexan

By all means then, vote the republicans in. If you really believe that the deficit is our biggest problem, then they are the ones for you. The only thing I buy into is that government spending borrowed money ain't a bad deal at 0% interest. And if they have to do it to keep the rest of the economy from imploding because of further lack of demand, then that's a no brainer.

Bush was bad enough with a 160 billion dollar deficit. The deficit is now at 1.3 trillion with over 16 trillion in debt with proposals to grow that exponentially. You say he kept the economy from imploding? He gave a political ally, Solyndra, almost half a billion dollars. Even though the previous administration rejected it and experts in his own administration advised against it. And that's just one of many examples of his largess. He gave huge amounts to public employee unions, including teachers' unions, to prop up their excellent benefit and retirement packages. And gee, they're huge contributors to Democrat campaign coffers. Who'd have guessed? If you want your taxes raised to continue the candy store for select groups then vote Democrat. And don't worry, you'll get your implosion.

bbsam

Staff member
Could be that an implosion is going to happen no matter what. Check with most economists though and you'll find that unemployment and sluggish economy far outweigh any threat by debt. But the republicans succeeded in bringing it to the forefront and democrats played along. Go ahead and ignore the economists though. Keep believing that the economy is just like kitchen table economics.

vantexan

Could be that an implosion is going to happen no matter what. Check with most economists though and you'll find that unemployment and sluggish economy far outweigh any threat by debt. But the republicans succeeded in bringing it to the forefront and democrats played along. Go ahead and ignore the economists though. Keep believing that the economy is just like kitchen table economics.

Gee, I read 2 major dailies and follow numerous resources on the 'net. They quote economists too. And the consensus is that we are maxxed out, that printing money will exacerbate the problem, and even liberal leaning papers are saying President Obama is offering no solutions to reduce unemployment. He says he wants to create jobs, but refuses to allow a pipeline that will do just that because he's beholden to environmentalists that hate oil. Even USAToday pointed out that we have almost 700,000 miles of oil and gas pipelines in this country including 2000 miles in the area of Nebraska that was supposed to be threatened by the Keystone pipeline. This is the same president who withheld sending the boats and equipment designed to contain oilspills to the Gulf "because they may be needed where they're at". The goal being to worsen the accident and turn people against oil drilling. You want low unemployment? One of the first things you have to do is bring energy costs down, something this President is against. Good luck delivering Ground packages with those electric vans.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Bush was bad enough with a 160 billion dollar deficit. The deficit is now at 1.3 trillion with over 16 trillion in debt with proposals to grow that exponentially. You say he kept the economy from imploding? He gave a political ally, Solyndra, almost half a billion dollars. Even though the previous administration rejected it and experts in his own administration advised against it. And that's just one of many examples of his largess. He gave huge amounts to public employee unions, including teachers' unions, to prop up their excellent benefit and retirement packages. And gee, they're huge contributors to Democrat campaign coffers. Who'd have guessed? If you want your taxes raised to continue the candy store for select groups then vote Democrat. And don't worry, you'll get your implosion.
Can we say Halliburton?

bbsam

Staff member
LOL. Don't know that I'd go that far. But it does paint a picture not so much of blaming Bush, but that Bush policies passed by congress couldn't be ended by executive order by Obama (no matter what Gingrich likes to believe he would do on his first day in office).

vantexan

LOL. Don't know that I'd go that far. But it does paint a picture not so much of blaming Bush, but that Bush policies passed by congress couldn't be ended by executive order by Obama (no matter what Gingrich likes to believe he would do on his first day in office).

Obama could have closed Guantanamo, didn't. Could have ended those wars much sooner, didn't. Wars by the way that Democrats voted for, so execute all of them. And if you'll recall, the deficit in 2008, Bush's last year, was $160 billion. It's now at $1.3 trillion. And the only reason it's not worse is the Repubs got control of the House in 2010. Most of the Obamacare spending won't start kicking in until 2013(after the election of course), and he wasn't able to push through his energy plans that would have sent gas prices sky high and, in his own words, "would necessarily cause their electric rates to skyrocket". You have a far left ideologue who had never run a business or governed a state but has theories about the way things should be. And an uninformed electorate who didn't think it mattered. So if it all goes to hell just blame Bush.

bbsam

Staff member
If you want far right business leaders running the country, then hold your tongue the next time you would speak ill of Fred S. He is exactly what republicans offer and the future that will furter erode the middle class. How do you hate Fedex policy but embrace the republicans? I'm conflicted. I despise the republican agenda, but I do see my own selfish bottom line benefitting from what they offer.

vantexan

And the republican response to the crisis?

When Paul Ryan tried to introduce legislation that would curtail spending the Dems ran an ad that showed a Ryan-like person pushing Grandma over a cliff from a wheelchair. When Gov. Walker of Wisconsin enacted measures that reduced raises and benefits to government workers they stormed Madison.

They, and you, may not like it, but someone has to say we're broke, the system has to be reformed. I don't care which party does it but so far the Democrats haven't demonstrated a willingness to do so. And why would they? They derive power from handing out goodies in exchange for votes that keep them in power. Only when they go too far do the Republicans get control. And after fiscal discipline is enacted the crowds grow restless and vote the Dems back in. Only now you have Republicans like Bush who try the same thing to stay popular while making it possible for corporate leaders to stick it to us all. And it blew up in all our faces. You guys think I'm going to be partisan but if you're honest you'll admit that there's more than enough blame to go around. But right now we have a fiscal crisis that won't be solved by spending more and more. I don't see anyone on the Democrat side who'll pull us out of this mess. It sure won't be Obama. And that's not being partisan. Show me a Democrat with a sound record of government leadership and fiscal responsibility and I'll vote for him. And if we get more of the same from a Republican president then throw him out. It's time to stop waiving partisan flags, it's time to stop dividing us with class envy and get this economy on sound footing.

bbsam

Staff member
When was the last time we had a republican administration that showed "fiscal discipline"? If you want "fiscal discipline", do two things. Let the Bush/Obama tax cuts expire, and then reform the tax code. Deficits disappear in about 7 years. It's not that hard. Paul Ryan's budget plan, how many republicans ran to endorse that? They like to point to it...but always at a distance.

vantexan

If you want far right business leaders running the country, then hold your tongue the next time you would speak ill of Fred S. He is exactly what republicans offer and the future that will furter erode the middle class. How do you hate Fedex policy but embrace the republicans? I'm conflicted. I despise the republican agenda, but I do see my own selfish bottom line benefitting from what they offer.

And you benefit much more from their agenda than I do. The problem with all the class warfare B.S. is I doubt anyone here ever got a steady paycheck from a poor man. I'm for responsible corporate leadership and unions if necessary to force them to be fair to their employees. I think they should pay us better but not to the extent that they would jeopardize the company's health. Some here seem to think they should go into deficit spending if necessary to provide us with great pay and benefits. We'd all be out of a job soon if they did. But pushing us all to the limit, expecting us to just get by for their benefit is wrong too. I'd be happy to see legislation that limits corporate officer compensation to X times their average employee's pay. If they want more they'll have to pay us better. It's a pipedream.