Ground owners get ready to drive again

bacha29

You really don’t understand the direction that Ground is heading.

etruckbiz. I suggest you educate yourself if you want your opinions to be somewhat informed. If not, carry on.
And what direction is it heading in? It would appear that it has done nothing in the way of reducing it's consumption of low wage labor at a time when the growth in the supply due to a number of reasons does not appear to be able to keep up. Talked to the outbound manager this evening. Told me that tensions are running high because they can't keep anybody and the few who still actually care are pushing back against having to do their own work and the work of 2 or 3 other guys because of call offs quitting outright and no takers of the job to begin with. And to top it off he's handed in his notice as well after 9 years because he sees no improvement in the situation both in the terminal and out on the road .

Sure, the pressure might let up a little bit when people finally have to go back to work but the message is still loud and clear. Ground has to find a way to dramatically reduce amount of hand labor and nonmechanized movement of all that material.

bbsam

Staff member
And what direction is it heading in? It would appear that it has done nothing in the way of reducing it's consumption of low wage labor at a time when the growth in the supply due to a number of reasons does not appear to be able to keep up. Talked to the outbound manager this evening. Told me that tensions are running high because they can't keep anybody and the few who still actually care are pushing back against having to do their own work and the work of 2 or 3 other guys because of call offs quitting outright and no takers of the job to begin with. And to top it off he's handed in his notice as well after 9 years because he sees no improvement in the situation both in the terminal and out on the road .

Sure, the pressure might let up a little bit when people finally have to go back to work but the message is still loud and clear. Ground has to find a way to dramatically reduce amount of hand labor and nonmechanized movement of all that material.
Etruckbiz. It’s right there. Study it. Stop relying on what you knew 10 years ago.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh! it’s on the internet so it must be true. 😂🤣😂
I know, right! Although they have been right about every change in the last several years. I don’t know. It’s almost a FedEx side business with ex-FedEx management that still has ties to the company or something.

But you’re right. Dismiss it prior to investigation. I’m sure you and bacha have far better information.

bacha29

I know, right! Although they have been right about every change in the last several years. I don’t know. It’s almost a FedEx side business with ex-FedEx management that still has ties to the company or something.

But you’re right. Dismiss it prior to investigation. I’m sure you and bacha have far better information.
Yes, I examined the site. It still fails to address the current labor shortage. It shows you how to be more subservient to Fat Freddy (he still runs everything and what he says you do you do it or else) but it still begins and ends with finding somebody willing to climb into one of those tin coffins on wheels and go out there and try to keep up with the nation's foremost model of corporate efficiency (UPS) and do it for a fraction of the pay.

Etruckbiz.com is like throwing a 25 foot rope to a guy drowning 50 feet off shore. It can't do a damn thing for you until you first find somebody willing to take the job to begin with and with boomers retiring, birth rates declining and far fewer people in the labor pool age group willing to take the job to begin with..... what's your mighty ETruckbiz.com going to do about that?

It will be fine

Yes, I examined the site. It still fails to address the current labor shortage. It shows you how to be more subservient to Fat Freddy (he still runs everything and what he says you do you do it or else) but it still begins and ends with finding somebody willing to climb into one of those tin coffins on wheels and go out there and try to keep up with the nation's foremost model of corporate efficiency (UPS) and do it for a fraction of the pay.

Etruckbiz.com is like throwing a 25 foot rope to a guy drowning 50 feet off shore. It can't do a damn thing for you until you first find somebody willing to take the job to begin with and with boomers retiring, birth rates declining and far fewer people in the labor pool age group willing to take the job to begin with..... what's your mighty ETruckbiz.com going to do about that?
So how many days behind is the terminal you know so well? I assume all the packages just pile up there with the way you talk.

bbsam

Staff member

I would almost pay to send you to a seminar. You don’t grasp what they are talking about in the least. And the changes FedEx has planned for the next decade are now move into the 3 to 5 year range. That has massive implications for a guy like me. It means my exit is moved up by several years, the business is far more lucrative to medium sized companies with cash to invest, and investing businesses can combine operations to increase profit.

There’s a lot to digest. To understand it though, you have to get past the day to day headaches that you get hung up on. They aren’t insurmountable. To me it just means I’m retiring early.

bacha29

So how many days behind is the terminal you know so well? I assume all the packages just pile up there with the way you talk.
The only way that box moves is that somebody has to put his hands on that box lift and move it. If those hands are not there to lift and move that box what then happens to that box?

bacha29

I would almost pay to send you to a seminar. You don’t grasp what they are talking about in the least. And the changes FedEx has planned for the next decade are now move into the 3 to 5 year range. That has massive implications for a guy like me. It means my exit is moved up by several years, the business is far more lucrative to medium sized companies with cash to invest, and investing businesses can combine operations to increase profit.

There’s a lot to digest. To understand it though, you have to get past the day to day headaches that you get hung up on. They aren’t insurmountable. To me it just means I’m retiring early.
I suggest that you have a go at the above question I 've asked IWBF. In fact Robert Sanchez CEO of Ryder is on CNBC at this very moment crying the blues about driver shortage. He says that he alone is short well over a thousand drivers despite huge increases in pay and sign on bonus. He says that autonomous driving trucks is the only solution but is many years away and will only be able to be used on a very limited number of drop and hook routes and in a very limited area of the country.

What does your seminar have to say about the fact that the generation of labor the trucking industry counted on was never born and of those who were born not many are interested in dragging around box freight for you and Fat Freddy for scraps and peanuts?

So fill me in on their solution to this problem.

bbsam

Staff member
I suggest that you have a go at the above question I 've asked IWBF. In fact Robert Sanchez CEO of Ryder is on CNBC at this very moment crying the blues about driver shortage. He says that he alone is short well over a thousand drivers despite huge increases in pay and sign on bonus. He says that autonomous driving trucks is the only solution but is many years away and will only be able to be used on a very limited number of drop and hook routes and in a very limited area of the country.

What does your seminar have to say about the fact that the generation of labor the trucking industry counted on was never born and of those who were born not many are interested in dragging around box freight for you and Fat Freddy for scraps and peanuts?

I don’t know. I don’t have a problem finding drivers. Honestly I don’t have problems keeping the drivers I want to keep either. I treat them well. They treat me well.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member

Actually, X can afford to pay whatever they need to to keep drivers and contractors. So can Amazon. Ryder probably can too. Don’t expect them to be in a hurry though. It’s still about the quarterly reports.

It will be fine

The only way that box moves is that somebody has to put his hands on that box lift and move it. If those hands are not there to lift and move that box what then happens to that box?
So how many boxes are piled up at your former station? There must be mountains of them.

Mutineer

It still fails to address the current labor shortage.
That is a myth perpetuated by business interests (and others with an agenda) in order to keep the costs of labor down and the demand for rental housing up. If I could, I would cheerfully send a never ending supply of surplus labor from California over to yer "holler."
(UPS) and do it for a fraction of the pay.
You often cite the pay disparity between UPS and XG as a reason why XG cannot attract and retain drivers.
It is my experiences and those of people I have known that UPS does not roll out a red carpet for people who wish to work there.

An interview at UPS is not unlike the experience I imagine of a filthy, drunken, unwashed beggar propositioning a supermodel for a quickie behind a vermin infested, overflowing, leaking dumpster.
I suggest that you have a go at the above question I 've asked IWBF. In fact Robert Sanchez CEO of Ryder is on CNBC at this very moment crying the blues about driver shortage.
There you go again. Believing a 1%er CEO when he cries about a "labor shortage".

bacha29

That is a myth perpetuated by business interests (and others with an agenda) in order to keep the costs of labor down and the demand for rental housing up. If I could, I would cheerfully send a never ending supply of surplus labor from California over to yer "holler."

You often cite the pay disparity between UPS and XG as a reason why XG cannot attract and retain drivers.
It is my experiences and those of people I have known that UPS does not roll out a red carpet for people who wish to work there.

An interview at UPS is not unlike the experience I imagine of a filthy, drunken, unwashed beggar propositioning a supermodel for a quickie behind a vermin infested, overflowing, leaking dumpster.

There you go again. Believing a 1%er CEO when he cries about a "labor shortage".
UPS with it's industry leading pay and benefit plan doesn't need to "roll out the red carpet" because people come to it not the other way around. Secondly, why and how can you perpetuate a labor shortage as a strategy designed with the specific intention of trying to keep keeping labor costs down?
What Robert Sanchez said this AM on CNBC is for the official public record Ok, so you've dismissed what he said. But that's all you did and therefore it doesn't mean a damn thing. Why? While you can dismiss what he said if you wish.... but can you disprove it?

Moreover, when you're the CEO of PUBLICLY TRADED.... Ryder Systems (stock symbol R) and you on broadcast TV talking about the status of your publicly traded company you had better get what you say right because eyes are watching and ears are listening including the
Securities and Exchange Commission.

bacha29

So how many boxes are piled up at your former station? There must be mountains of them.
The do what they've always done. Take the loads of those who don't show up and stuff them into the trucks of those who do show up and are taken for a ride that day. Whether they get delivered or not is a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution. Just as long as that building is empty when they leave it. That's all that matters to station management.

bbsam

Staff member
That doesn't mean they will. Can you say "unlikely?"
Absolutely they will. If they feel it’s needed to keep the golden goose laying the golden eggs they most certainly will.

You really need to see this how a business sees it to understand it. They don’t care if drivers are happy or contractors are making a lot of money. They really couldn’t care less. Only when their business begins to fail at an unacceptable rat will they adjust. But they will adjust. Not doing so is bad for business.

bacha29

I don’t know. I don’t have a problem finding drivers. Honestly I don’t have problems keeping the drivers I want to keep either. I treat them well. They treat me well.
" Treat them well"? I won't buy that until I hear from them. Again just because you and IWBF have in the past and will for the time being are able to procure enough labor to fulfill your Ground mandates doesn't mean that advantage exists nationwide or will continue far into the future. And the demographic numbers clearly cast doubts on whether you will.