Ground to absorb Express

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
I'd say it would be more than double. I'm an express guy, there
You are ignoring the truth. Those expenses are already being paid by fedex through the ISP. Thousands and thousands of ISPs doing screening, interviews, etc, etc is already paid for, and fedex already has a Human Resources Dept. Do you really think that it is better, faster, or cheaper to have thousands and thousands of ISPs doing human resources work, payroll, training, etc than it is for fedex to use their already existing resources??????? If so, then you are completely nuts.

Fedex can also buy vehicles using mass purchasing power cheaper, and hire in-house maintenance. Reducing overlap, reducing facilities, reducing the number of managers to run the fewer facilities are all savings. Fedex from the start has hired employees. If Fred was in love with contractors, he would have subbed out the delivery end from the start. He was STUCK with the 'contractor model' when he bought RPS and he wanted an 'instant' entry into the market.

Since then it has basically been an experiment, and in the meantime Fred is learning how to manage ground delivery, and the ONLY reason for not using employees is the union, and possibly the big cash outlay to buy out the ISPs. As soon as you see Fred buying out a single contractor, including the vehicles, and running that service area, the end will be near. Fedex doesn't need to buy a whole new fleet, they can buy the best of the current fleet, and directly hire the drivers who are currently driving those vehicles already.
I would be interested to know what percent of Fred’s day has to do anything with Ground versus Express. I’m going to guess it isn’t a whole lot since all of Ground is run out of Moon Township

Star B

White Lightening
It's my understanding that the FAA requires employees to pick up and load freight to have a measure of control over security issues. Apparently anyone can deliver freight, but no getting around the pick up requirement. We've speculated about this in the past if down the road to save costs they might have contractors deliver. I think there's too many concerns to overcome to attempt that, but in a really bad economy who knows, might happen someday.
Unless the pax airlines are different, I was with a contractor and I was accepting and loading freight for an airline. It was even on the airlines planes, not some other subcontractors either. They didn't have actual employees at the airport.

vantexan

Unless the pax airlines are different, I was with a contractor and I was accepting and loading freight for an airline. It was even on the airlines planes, not some other subcontractors either. They didn't have actual employees at the airport.
That's a bit different though than having people go out and pick up freight from all over and bring it in. Dealing with haz. Trained to deal with international freight. Also everyone working at the airport has to be fingerprinted, etc so they had their own security standards to comply with.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yet you continue to hang out on an employee forum for a job you no longer have.

A person can post here and have a good life otherwise. Not sure why this is such an issue with you, but then again there's not much about you that makes sense.

You continue to make post about matters that happened before you worked at your former employer and make misinformed post about subjects that you are clueless on. You are clueless on a lot of things and but totally wrong with what was going on in the 70's. If you were there, you must have been sleep walking because you have proven time and time again to be totally incorrect in your observations.

If you insist.

59 Dano

You seem to care quite a bit. You're constantly suggesting that no one can do what FedEx does and are quick to slam anyone who says otherwise.

You're just silly, van. I've never suggested such a thing. I've said that it's not easy, that it's crazy expensive, and that any new entrants would jump into an industry that's dominated by two participants who have been doing it for decades.

That aside, anyone can can do the work FedEx does. Doing it at a profit? Different story.

If you think FedEx doesn't care about taking any kind of hit to their volume or the possibility of a growing competitor down the line you're either naive or disingenuous. They cared very much when there were actual competitors and treated them as such. And they emerged on top. Online sales is a growth market and no doubt they want to be the foremost shipper of those products. Amazon is the dominant force in online sales and is looking to control costs. Two very different approaches to the problem. We'll have more clarity in years to come.

You're a bit overdramatic.

Last edited:

59 Dano

It's my understanding that the FAA requires employees to pick up and load freight to have a measure of control over security issues. Apparently anyone can deliver freight, but no getting around the pick up requirement. We've speculated about this in the past if down the road to save costs they might have contractors deliver. I think there's too many concerns to overcome to attempt that, but in a really bad economy who knows, might happen someday.

Airborne and DHL both used contractors.

59 Dano

Don't worry, van is in over his head again.

vantexan

Hmmmm, it's spooky.

vantexan

You're just silly, van. I've never suggested such a thing. I've said that it's not easy, that it's crazy expensive, and that any new entrants would jump into an industry that's dominated by two participants who have been doing it for decades.

That aside, anyone can can do the work FedEx does. Doing it at a profit? Different story.

You're a bit overdramatic.
OK, mea culpa.

Empty Pockets

What station managers recieved.

Attachments

• One Mission_1.jpg
    One Mission_1.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 26
  • One Mission_2.jpg
    One Mission_2.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 26