Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are arguing what the founders intended and I am arguing what has come to be and the Supreme Court has (as is its constitutional right) declared to be constitutional.

The Founders are dead. For good or for ill the future remains for today’s citizens to mold.
I agree with that but I also believe in
The law of the USA.
These two forces continually strive against one another and therefore Politics.
And the continuing battle between
Conservatives
Versus
Liberals/Progressives

I even find myself torn internally quite often.

El Correcto

god is dead
When the will of my state capital is being forced on my city hundreds of miles away, it's called tyranny......
You've got good intentions but you don't go far enough.
Im just talking about federal power vs state power. These progressives don’t understand we have states we are the United States of America. A lot of the things the federal government does now are out of bounds of its power and should be addressed at their state level. Instead they don’t even know about their state legislators and are making it harder on the rest of us not to be hyper focused on Washington DC. It’s why the country is so divided we are fighting on a national level and not being able to govern ourselves. It’s tyranny, I shouldn’t be deciding if Californians can smoke weed

tourists24

The meaning has changed, many times. For better and worse. You're just arguing that your meaning is the same as someone who has been dead for 200 years and can't say otherwise. Seems presumptuous.
Not what I said, but am saying that the constitutionality of laws should be the best judgement of the intent of what the authors of it wrote; not what each individual judge thinks it should be based on their political beliefs. If the document was written to be living/breathing/ever changing then why would there be a need to have an amendment process? There would be no need

El Correcto

god is dead
I agree with that but I also believe in
The law of the USA.
These two forces continually strive against one another and therefore Politics.
And the continuing battle between
Conservatives
Versus
Liberals/Progressives

I even find myself torn internally quite often.
Democrats are not liberals in the classical sense. They are progressives. If anything republicans are more liberal than them.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not what I said, but am saying that the constitutionality of laws should be the best judgement of the intent of what the authors of it wrote; not what each individual judge thinks it should be based on their political beliefs. If the document was written to be living/breathing/ever changing then why would there be a need to have an amendment process? There would be no need
That's double talk bro.
Judges, by definition, judge what the constitutionality and intent of what the authors wrote is. You're just arguing that they're doing it wrong because it's against your political beliefs.

You can't argue that we should go by the constitutionality of laws, not judges..... when the judges are the ones who decide what is constitutional, as designed by the constitution itself. sigh.

bbsam

Staff member
Im just talking about federal power vs state power. These progressives don’t understand we have states we are the United States of America. A lot of the things the federal government does now are out of bounds of its power and should be addressed at their state level. Instead they don’t even know about their state legislators and are making it harder on the rest of us not to be hyper focused on Washington DC. It’s why the country is so divided we are fighting on a national level and not being able to govern ourselves. It’s tyranny, I shouldn’t be deciding if Californians can smoke weed
Back it up. The states continue to cede that power. Why? Federal dollars.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
ok
My state government has wronged me far more than the federal one, so I think your anger is misplaced. Maybe you live in a capital city and don't care though I dunno.

tourists24

That's double talk bro.
Judges, by definition, judge what the constitutionality and intent of what the authors wrote is. You're just arguing that they're doing it wrong because it's against your political beliefs.

You can't argue that we should go by the constitutionality of laws, not judges..... when the judges are the ones who decide what is constitutional, as designed by the constitution itself. sigh.
That’s not double talk at all. My political beliefs have nothing to do with anything as long as judges would try to determine what the founders meant by the wording as it was written as compared to what they personally feels it needs to be to satisfy their personal motives. You seriously don’t see the difference?

And that still wouldn’t explain why the need for any amendment process. This, to me is the only thing that is living/breathing about it

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That’s not double talk at all. My political beliefs have nothing to do with anything as long as judges would try to determine what the founders meant by the wording as it was written as compared to what they personally feels it needs to be to satisfy their personal motives. You seriously don’t see the difference?
I can imagine the difference. Can you give me an example where you think that has happened? Maybe we could debate that rather than general rhetoric that itself seems political in nature.

El Correcto

god is dead
Back it up. The states continue to cede that power. Why? Federal dollars.
Why is our system operating the opposite of what is written? Why are states going to the feds for money instead of the other way around like intended. Must of been these wonderful judges you keep praising.

But I don’t care about that, I just want to see you post what you believe which is states don’t have power and the federal government should run it all.

bbsam

Staff member
I notice you don’t answer, where do you think federal power ends and state power begins. The will of the governed can be expressed through state legislation. When the will of the governed in New York and California is being forced on Texas and Florida it’s called tyranny.
There is no answer to the question. If you believe that the Federal government has no business in education, then lobby your state not to take the money. Lots of states turned down Obamacare money. In front of the cameras at least.

bbsam

Staff member
Why is our system operating the opposite of what is written? Why are states going to the feds for money instead of the other way around like intended. Must of been these wonderful judges you keep praising.

But I don’t care about that, I just want to see you post what you believe which is states don’t have power and the federal government should run it all.
See above.

Ghost in the Darkness

Liberals are big children who want to stay children and so need to be taken care of. They don't care if their rights are taken away, its more productive to talk to your dook before you flush it. They like a big government that can be their parent.
Its funny to me that many call Trump a nazi or white supremecist... seems like you would like to keep any and every right in regards to the 2nd amenendment if they truly believed that.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Liberals are big children who want to stay children and so need to be taken care of. They don't care if their rights are taken away, its more productive to talk to your dook before you flush it. They like a big government that can be their parent.
Its funny to me that many call Trump a nazi or white supremecist... seems like you would like to keep any and every right in regards to the 2nd amenendment if they truly believed that.
Sadly, nothing you said is exclusive to liberals.