hall should be ashamed!

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
regarding UPSF/Indy:

...It only took 50 years to get that contract ...

... This is not NMFA but it is a hell of alot better than what we have now.

One of my bros. up here in Chicago was expressing his (and organized trucking cos.) displeasure over this, last month. The Local E-board's response was basically summarized by those two lines above. Overnite was a non-union carrier competing with them for 50 years, organizing them was a major inroad, and it's unrealistic to expect to bring them up to NMFA on a first contract. That satisfied me and even appeared to assuage my (rather outspoken) brother Teamster.

govols019

You smell that?
Is the view good from the cheap seats???? Because I would bet my last dollar your name was never on a ballot to be a leader. At least they have the courage to take on the task. What's your excuse???

Then you would have lost your last dollar. 8 years as shop steward.

Lizzard Toungue

:sick:
I would think someone that accuses our Union leadership of being morons would at least be able to spell tongue and tell the difference between 6.1 million and BILLION.

and tie guy, I usually disagree with you being the outhouse lawyer I am but DAMN good post.

Hoffa isn't the union...Hall isn't the union, WE are the union. WE VOTED it in. I can't tell you how many feeder drivers and 25+ year package drivers were running around my hub telling everyone how GREAT this contract is. I can't say I blame them, they wanted to retire.

The part timers, as usual, being apathetic hung ourselves and anyone else with like 10+ years left to go.

I really wish the doomsday cry babies would shut the hell up and move on. We have to DEAL with it now.
Sorry it is billions and I spelled tongue wrong. but at least my spelling mistakes did not cost our members money.If you and the rest of the members are happy with this than so be it But to think that this was the best offer or nobody in the world can run this union or any other union is just nieve.If these guys knew they had to come back and work under this contract they would have gotten us a better deal.They have no clue what the average working teamster goes through and this contract is just an insult. I guess when you are Hoffa making 300,000 plus you have no clue to the plights of the average union worker.As for shutting the hell up how would this site exist if we could not express our opinion?:sick:

Lizzard Toungue

I am curious as to where you work Fredless?In southeastern Pa there were no guys running around the hub cheering this contract. May bee you live in a state where the cost of living is much cheaper than here . Therefore this contract does not seem to be bad.

Fredless

APWA Hater
I live in the south.
What GOOD is crying about the new contract going to do now? Thats what I meant by shut the hell up...we know, we know. It sucks. So lets deal with it now. Ever get dealt a bad hand at poker?
For your information, I voted NO along with a good number of people in my local but the majority won.

I don't like this contract anymore than you do, but unless you have some personal negotiating experience I highly doubt you or any other of the doomsday preachers on this forum could've done any better.

ezmoney5150

The teamsters were the ones that controlled this money and they did whatever they wanted with it except give it to the workers who EARNED IT:angry:

Wrong answer prancer. The Teamsters did not control the fund. The trustees did. Company trustees and union trustees. Try researching before you type. It's not hard, you're already on the internet.

ezmoney5150

:sick:
Sorry it is billions and I spelled tongue wrong. but at least my spelling mistakes did not cost our members money.If you and the rest of the members are happy with this than so be it But to think that this was the best offer or nobody in the world can run this union or any other union is just nieve.If these guys knew they had to come back and work under this contract they would have gotten us a better deal.They have no clue what the average working teamster goes through and this contract is just an insult. I guess when you are Hoffa making 300,000 plus you have no clue to the plights of the average union worker.As for shutting the hell up how would this site exist if we could not express our opinion?:sick:

How many other trucking companies are giving raises that we are getting. Ask somebody in the city at Yellow Freight or ABF what they make or what their raises were and maybe you'll gain a little perspective. They make around $21 an hour. They max out at 5 weeks vacation. I get 5 weeks at 17 years. LOL!!!! Yeah we have it so bad. We might as well be Wal Mart greeters its so bad according to you. And you think Hoffa is out of touch?

J

JonFrum

How many other trucking companies are giving raises that we are getting. Ask somebody in the city at Yellow Freight or ABF what they make or what their raises were and maybe you'll gain a little perspective. They make around $21 an hour. They max out at 5 weeks vacation. I get 5 weeks at 17 years. LOL!!!! Yeah we have it so bad. We might as well be Wal Mart greeters its so bad according to you. And you think Hoffa is out of touch?

Easy there Mr. Money. It's hard to fairly compare two different companies because there are so many variables. But if you must, then I suggest averaging the wage rates at the other company and comparing that average to what the average UPSer makes. This averaging proceedure is especially relevant at UPS because of the HUGE differences in pay rates and benefits among the various bargaining unit people. A high seniority driver makes a high hourly wage because it is offset by new drivers making a lot less, and by many part-timers making near minimum wage. Overtime pay is offset by those who are forbidden to get any overtime. Vacations are offset by those who don't get any vacations. Personal Days and Sick Days are offset by those who don't get any. Pension contributions on behalf of those earning their way to a comfortable retirement are made possible by the many contributions made on behalf of others who forfeit all the money and never get vested. People with dependants get their H&W subsidized by those who are single and healthy. And so on.

If you take an average, UPS is not so extraordinary. Just think of the endless turnover that keeps the ranks filled with low-paid full- and part-timers. Think of all those that only have a three-and-a-half hour daily guarantee, or a three hour guarantee, or those who have no guarantee at all. Think of those part-timers in progression who get less than the general wage increases, and those who are frozen, and get no raise at all. Think of the lower pay of full-timers in the Article 22.3 classification. Think of those part-timers who go through a progression, then have to go through another one when they go full-time. Think of the package car driver on overtime who had a helper making only $9.50 or so, even if the helper was a UPSer with decades of seniority.

ezmoney5150

Easy there Mr. Money. It's hard to fairly compare two different companies because there are so many variables. But if you must, then I suggest averaging the wage rates at the other company and comparing that average to what the average UPSer makes. This averaging proceedure is especially relevant at UPS because of the HUGE differences in pay rates and benefits among the various bargaining unit people. A high seniority driver makes a high hourly wage because it is offset by new drivers making a lot less, and by many part-timers making near minimum wage. Overtime pay is offset by those who are forbidden to get any overtime. Vacations are offset by those who don't get any vacations. Personal Days and Sick Days are offset by those who don't get any. Pension contributions on behalf of those earning their way to a comfortable retirement are made possible by the many contributions made on behalf of others who forfeit all the money and never get vested. People with dependants get their H&W subsidized by those who are single and healthy. And so on.

If you take an average, UPS is not so extraordinary. Just think of the endless turnover that keeps the ranks filled with low-paid full- and part-timers. Think of all those that only have a three-and-a-half hour daily guarantee, or a three hour guarantee, or those who have no guarantee at all. Think of those part-timers in progression who get less than the general wage increases, and those who are frozen, and get no raise at all. Think of the lower pay of full-timers in the Article 22.3 classification. Think of those part-timers who go through a progression, then have to go through another one when they go full-time. Think of the package car driver on overtime who had a helper making only $9.50 or so, even if the helper was a UPSer with decades of seniority.

UPS is still a trucking company. We're not reinventing the wheel here. If you listen to some people on this board we should be making $40 an hour. With Fed Ex ground undercutting us with scab workers we have to be careful not to price ourselves out of the market. The only thing going for us is that UPS's time in transit is so much better than Fed Ex's. That will work only so long.

I would be very happy to forgo raises for the life of the contract to pay part timers better. But 90% of the full time drivers would revolt. Most talk a good game but when push comes to shove they will have nothing to do with that.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Ez - thats what I've been trying to say and using the Auto industry analogies as much as I have. We may not realize it, in today's world, how GOOD we have it until we lose it.

I bet the National Freight guys would LOVE to get the pay we do...

ezmoney5150

Ez - thats what I've been trying to say and using the Auto industry analogies as much as I have. We may not realize it, in today's world, how GOOD we have it until we lose it.

I bet the National Freight guys would LOVE to get the pay we do...

I do realize that the auto industry has problems with their contract, who doesn't. The foreign car companies have the tables stacked in their favor against the domestic auto companies.

Take for example this new trade pact with S. Korea. If you buy a foreign car you will automatically be audited on your taxes. Who would want to go through that. Japan is the same way. They can sell their cars here, but we cant sell them there. They have high tariffs on american cars.

I believe in trade. Fair Trade. Not free.

Lizzard Toungue

:biting:
How many other trucking companies are giving raises that we are getting. Ask somebody in the city at Yellow Freight or ABF what they make or what their raises were and maybe you'll gain a little perspective. They make around $21 an hour. They max out at 5 weeks vacation. I get 5 weeks at 17 years. LOL!!!! Yeah we have it so bad. We might as well be WalMart greeters its so bad according to you. And you think Hoffa is out of touch?
Yellow ABF and every other freight company combined don't even come close to the 4 BILLION plus that UPS makes,so I stand by my statement.UPS is able to raise their rates 5 plus percent this year. I thought we could have at least averaged 3.5% pay raises per year that is not so outrages is it ?Why do we sell ourselves short? WE should be the highest paid if our company makes the most.Compare what UPS makes to the rest of the transportation industry and nobody comes close.:smart:

ezmoney5150

:biting:
Yellow ABF and every other freight company combined don't even come close to the 4 BILLION plus that UPS makes,so I stand by my statement.UPS is able to raise their rates 5 plus percent this year. I thought we could have at least averaged 3.5% pay raises per year that is not so outrages is it ?Why do we sell ourselves short? WE should be the highest paid if our company makes the most.Compare what UPS makes to the rest of the transportation industry and nobody comes close.:smart:

And that cost is passed on to the customers. How much can UPS pass on till the customer says I'll go to fed ex. They have scabs who work for nothing. Like I said we don't want to price ourselves out of the market. We are truck drivers. We're not reinventing the wheel or splitting atoms here.

J

JonFrum

And that cost is passed on to the customers. How much can UPS pass on till the customer says I'll go to fed ex. They have scabs who work for nothing. Like I said we don't want to price ourselves out of the market. We are truck drivers. We're not reinventing the wheel or splitting atoms here.

EZMoney, what is your estimate of the Weighted Average Hourly Straight-Time Rate of Pay at UPS for the entire nationwide bargaining unit?

What is FedEx's comparable Average Pay Rate?

What are other shipping companies' Average Pay Rate?

What is Parcel Post's Average Pay Rate?

toilet paper

Its amazing, the same day that danny eason sends out an email begging for more money from everyone to win the kansas city election AGAIN, you show up here psoting more BS. Danny we may not be happy with our ups contract but it still beats joining a union lead by scabs like you!
come on scab im skeered what you guys cant handle another oppinion typical teamster drinking koolaid sounds to me as if you dont like freedom of choice