Has anyone…..

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Do you volunteer? We have a few who volunteer. They want the extra money.
Yeah, when I have a chill week I don’t mind coming in. Sometimes it’s straight time from taking a 4 day weekend the week before.

Used to work 6 days a lot more than I do now, but now the kids are basically out of the house and I don’t have anything going on, I come in for some fishing money.

Thebrownblob

Yeah, when I have a chill week I don’t mind coming in. Sometimes it’s straight time from taking a 4 day weekend the week before.
It’s all good brother, I don’t have a problem with people want the extra money and volunteer I do get sick of them “forcing”people. Fix your staffing issue UPS.

tramtwo

We've got a couple dinosaurs (40+ years in) who brag about getting a social security check every month... I don't understand their logic. My time off is worth at least 10 times what UPS is paying me. Even if I'm doing nothing.. I want to be young enough and healthy enough to enjoy it to the fullest! I don't mind giving the company what they're paying for but I damn sure am not going to sell myself out just for 1.5

on topic: About 10 guys have been working 6 days a week for almost 3 years in this building forced... there's three or four of them that refuse to work Saturday and have been threatened continuously, no one terminated. The number of people utilizing FMLA (stress) to take off Monday (just to have two days off in a row) is laughable. If you're not scheduled to work Saturday then you can't use FMLA or schedule days off on a Saturday but they can 'force' you in on a Saturday. Best contact ever!!

Thebrownblob

We've got a couple dinosaurs (40+ years in) who brag about getting a social security check every month... I don't understand their logic. My time off is worth at least 10 times what UPS is paying me. Even if I'm doing nothing.. I want to be young enough and healthy enough to enjoy it to the fullest! I don't mind giving the company what they're paying for but I damn sure am not going to sell myself out just for 1.5

on topic: About 10 guys have been working 6 days a week for almost 3 years in this building forced... there's three or four of them that refuse to work Saturday and have been threatened continuously, no one terminated. The number of people utilizing FMLA (stress) to take off Monday (just to have two days off in a row) is laughable. If you're not scheduled to work Saturday then you can't use FMLA or schedule days off on a Saturday but they can 'force' you in on a Saturday. Best contact ever!!
Somehow Some RPCDs are forced six days, 22.4 only working five lol. This was not supposed to happen.

tramtwo

Somehow Some RPCDs are forced six days, 22.4 only working five lol. This was not supposed to happen.
That was the exact situation I was in a couple of years ago... asking "I thought seniority prevailed in every situation why are people with less seniority only working five and I'm working six?!" The blank stares from the union representation told me all that I would need to know.

Thebrownblob

That was the exact situation I was in a couple of years ago... asking "I thought seniority prevailed in every situation why are people with less seniority only working five and I'm working six?!" The blank stares from the union representation told me all that I would need to know.
It was a poorly conceived article 22.4. Should’ve never been put in at all.

Upsftd125

I was "forced" in one Saturday last year and I called in an hour before start time and told them I wanted to use a sick day. I got called into the office Monday morning for a written warning and I pulled up my time card and it had scheduled day off listed. I asked the supervisor why he didn't use my sick day and he said he couldn't because it's not a work day for me. I said then how can you give me a warning letter for a scheduled day off. He then proceeded to tear the letter up because he knew he couldn't. They haven't asked me to work a Saturday since.

nWo

Don't think I've ever seen a driver fired for attendance. A few preloaders. And they were coming in like once a week.

Whither

Scofflaw
Last year they gave a bunch of people in my building “Intent to suspend” and “intent to Terminate” letters for it. Yet they kept them working every day. New year rolled along and all of it got thrown out. Now they’re doing it again this year lol. Imagine getting fired for not coming in on your scheduled day off. Lmaoooo
Similar story here. Except since January no one has been getting forced. Although mgmt does put pressure on the 22.4 rookies to show on Mondays and nearly always sends them home. The local cut a side-deal with my center that let RPCDs switch to a T-S schedule based on seniority (contrary to the NMA, which I don't like, but on the other hand, it's good to have a little more say in your schedule -- some prefer T-S to M-friend) as long as mgmt didn't force any 6 punches. They got 4 or 5 RPCDs to switch. They still ask for volunteers every Sat and, I guess, get enough or make due. On the occasional 9-plus hr Monday I suspect they've rolled some volume when I catch several pkgs with a Sat PAL label and no service cross.

I like to think the reason why this happened is due, largely, to the blowback several of us gave center mgmt in response to their harassment over Sat 6 punches. And of course the call-ins spoke for themselves. It's a long ways from last summer when my center manager held a captive audience meeting and tried to pressure 10 of us to figure out Sat scheduling for him. "I'll need at least 3 of you to volunteer every Sat, so talk it over among yourselves so we can make sure the same people don't get forced every time. I don't want to be handing out pending terminations 4 weeks from now." I gave him an earful in response and a stew jumped in to back me.

Thebrownblob

Similar story here. Except since January no one has been getting forced. Although mgmt does put pressure on the 22.4 rookies to show on Mondays and nearly always sends them home. The local cut a side-deal with my center that let RPCDs switch to a T-S schedule based on seniority (contrary to the NMA, which I don't like, but on the other hand, it's good to have a little more say in your schedule -- some prefer T-S to M-friend) as long as mgmt didn't force any 6 punches. They got 4 or 5 RPCDs to switch. They still ask for volunteers every Sat and, I guess, get enough or make due. On the occasional 9-plus hr Monday I suspect they've rolled some volume when I catch several pkgs with a Sat PAL label and no service cross.

I like to think the reason why this happened is due, largely, to the blowback several of us gave center mgmt in response to their harassment over Sat 6 punches. And of course the call-ins spoke for themselves. It's a long ways from last summer when my center manager held a captive audience meeting and tried to pressure 10 of us to figure out Sat scheduling for him. "I'll need at least 3 of you to volunteer every Sat, so talk it over among yourselves so we can make sure the same people don't get forced every time. I don't want to be handing out pending terminations 4 weeks from now." I gave him an earful in response and a stew jumped in to back me.
When they start the whole we’re gonna discipline for Saturdays I just start saying “yeah let’s fire everyone”. They looked at me like I was crazy and then say nothing else. It’s a paper tiger.

nWo

Why not just hire 4 more drivers or have 4 less Saturday routes?

Box Ox

We've got a couple dinosaurs (40+ years in) who brag about getting a social security check every month... I don't understand their logic.

Maybe it’s like how it is for the old man (Brooks) in Shawshank Redemption. If you’re on the inside for long enough you can end up not knowing what you’d do with yourself if you ever end up on the outside. Your prison becomes your comfort zone.

tramtwo

Maybe it’s like how it is for the old man (Brooks) in Shawshank Redemption. If you’re on the inside for long enough you can end up not knowing what you’d do with yourself if you ever end up on the outside. Your prison becomes your comfort zone.
Yeah I suppose... but I hope in the end I'm more like Red.

Whither

Scofflaw
Why not just hire 4 more drivers or have 4 less Saturday routes?
Fully agreed. It's still a much better situation than a few years ago when my BA was effectively telling us we'd better show up 6 days a week if we wanted to keep our jobs. There's a lot of work to do in my local. I'm trying to revive my center's old tradition of weekly meet-ups at a dive close to the building. Might try and a get a morning coffee meet-up going as well for sober coworkers and those whose evening schedules are booked. We gotta find ways to build strength among ourselves heading into 2023.

Thebrownblob

Fully agreed. It's still a much better situation than a few years ago when my BA was effectively telling us we'd better show up 6 days a week if we wanted to keep our jobs. There's a lot of work to do in my local. I'm trying to revive my center's old tradition of weekly meet-ups at a dive close to the building. Might try and a get a morning coffee meet-up going as well for sober coworkers and those whose evening schedules are booked. We gotta find ways to build strength among ourselves heading into 2023.
If you’ve ever been a business agent, or Steward and given someone advice or your interpretation of some contractual language, and then had them come back and say “but my business agent on my Steward told me…..”

The forced Saturday is more complicated than just telling someone you absolutely don’t have to come in. The contract says your standard work week is five days. That’s it we’re done right? Well not really because after that it says if you’re “required” to work a sixth day… wait a minute how can I have a five day work week and be required? I’ve been telling people the last few years come to work Monday through Friday. Follow the attendance policy. If you’re forced Saturday and don’t want to work let them know. It’s worked so far because the company does not want to fire people for Saturday only. The question is can they? Nobody knows because it hasn’t happened as far as I know. I don’t want anyone I’ve given advice to to be the first to find out. The contract language is poorly written and the 22.4 made it worse. Hopefully the new leader ship will fix the ambiguous language regarding being forced. I don’t personally trust a panel decision if it ever gets that far especially for a very low seniority person who just tells the company I’m never coming in, and may also have an attendance problem Monday through Friday.

Whither

Scofflaw
If you’ve ever been a business agent, or Steward and given someone advice or your interpretation of some contractual language, and then had them come back and say “but my business agent on my Steward told me…..”

The forced Saturday is more complicated than just telling someone you absolutely don’t have to come in. The contract says your standard work week is five days. That’s it we’re done right? Well not really because after that it says if you’re “required” to work a sixth day… wait a minute how can I have a five day work week and be required? I’ve been telling people the last few years come to work Monday through Friday. Follow the attendance policy. If you’re forced Saturday and don’t want to work let them know. It’s worked so far because the company does not want to fire people for Saturday only. The question is can they? Nobody knows because it hasn’t happened as far as I know. I don’t want anyone I’ve given advice to to be the first to find out. The contract language is poorly written and the 22.4 made it worse. Hopefully the new leader ship will fix the ambiguous language regarding being forced. I don’t personally trust a panel decision if it ever gets that far especially for a very low seniority person who just tells the company I’m never coming in, and may also have an attendance problem Monday through Friday.

Yes, the point is 1. Teamsters are right to be angry over forced 6 punches. Most of us already work enough forced OT.

2. My BA could've led w the proviso "It's complicated, there's not a cut-and-dried answer, and you might have to gamble at panel." In other words, talk to the members like we're adults rather boosting company threats. I didn't find this difficult to do when coworkers asked my opinion on the issue. And, yes, I stressed: show up on time for your regular schedule.

3. Language be damned, they've not been in a position to can reliable employees for refusing to work 6 days a week.