Has anything been lost during a contract and then brought back in a new contract?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
People who don't pay dues basically piss on everyone that paved the way for what we have today.

Yeah but Stink you have to acknowledge that there are more than a few who feel like the ones collecting our dues to just pissed on us. Not saying that's right or wrong, just saying its a perception thing.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
People who don't pay dues basically piss on everyone that paved the way for what we have today.

Yeah but Stink you have to acknowledge that there are more than a few who feel like the ones collecting our dues to just pissed on us. Not saying that's right or wrong, just saying its a perception thing.

I have no problem with the idea of RTW. However if u choose not to not pay union dues I feel like u should give up all union rights.

Not paying for union representation and then using it is just wrong.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I have no problem with the idea of RTW. However if u choose not to not pay union dues I feel like u should give up all union rights.

Not paying for union representation and then using it is just wrong.

Agreed. But in a RTW state the union has to represent both the members as well those who do not pay if they are going to collectively bargain our behalf. This is why perception matters and the IBT seems to be failing in that department and failing badly. This last "update letter" and it's wording is a classic example. It has left a bad taste in many mouths.

40 and out

You do know their are 2 parties involved right? You do know what happens when only one side takes right?
Some people talk like we lost everything. I find it a bit extreme.
Actually, we didn't lose that much and will still have great pay and benefits, but with the profits UPS is making why should we be giving up ANYTHING?

rod

Retired 22 years
I can think of a couple of things that have been lost due to bad contracts:

1. It used to take only 90 days to get up to full scale---and everyone was paid the same rate except feeder drivers who got something like 15 cents an hour more. There are still two ladies at my old center who are part timers who make the same per hour as the package drivers. One is a clerk and the other is a porter. They both have over 35 years in and don't plan on retiring any time soon. A part time job with full benefits for you and your family and 30 bucks an hour or whatever you make today is unheard of.

2. The contracts used to go for only three years.

stink219

I can think of a couple of things that have been lost due to bad contracts:

1. It used to take only 90 days to get up to full scale---and everyone was paid the same rate except feeder drivers who got something like 15 cents an hour more. There are still two ladies at my old center who are part timers who make the same per hour as the package drivers. One is a clerk and the other is a porter. They both have over 35 years in and don't plan on retiring any time soon. A part time job with full benefits for you and your family and 30 bucks an hour or whatever you make today is unheard of.

2. The contracts used to go for only three years.
So your saying that things were better back in 1978 when the Fitzsimmons, Presser and the mob was involved?

stink219

Agreed. But in a RTW state the union has to represent both the members as well those who do not pay if they are going to collectively bargain our behalf. This is why perception matters and the IBT seems to be failing in that department and failing badly. This last "update letter" and it's wording is a classic example. It has left a bad taste in many mouths.
RTW=Union busting.

rod

Retired 22 years
So your saying that things were better back in 1978 when the Fitzsimmons, Presser and the mob was involved?

The "mob" has always been involved. I would say things were much better years ago. I remember when I was a rookie having more money than I knew what to do with (thank God I invested it wislely and didn't blow it on fancy houses that were beyond our needs and new vehicals that we could live without). We had health, dental and eye insurance that were the envy of everyone. I don't think I paid a dime out of my own pocket for our family of 4 for any doctor-dental-eyeglasses-contacts or any of that stuff for the first 20 years I worked. I still remember one time I went to the dentist and after doing $1400 in crown and bridge work he sent me a bill for $28 bucks more. That was about 20 years into my career and I was flabergasted that he sent me a bill because I had never before had to pay anything out of pocket. I went in and complained to his receptionist and he dropped the $28 charge.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The "mob" has always been involved. I would say things were much better years ago. I remember when I was a rookie having more money than I knew what to do with (thank God I invested it wislely and didn't blow it on fancy houses that were beyond our needs and new vehicals that we could live without). We had health, dental and eye insurance that were the envy of everyone. I don't think I paid a dime out of my own pocket for our family of 4 for any doctor-dental-eyeglasses-contacts or any of that stuff for the first 20 years I worked. I still remember one time I went to the dentist and after doing $1400 in crown and bridge work he sent me a bill for $28 bucks more. That was about 20 years into my career and I was flabergasted that he sent me a bill because I had never before had to pay anything out of pocket. I went in and complained to his receptionist and he dropped the $28 charge.

Judging by the look of the district suits that used to work back then, maybe there was mob involvement in the company as well. I wonder why corporate moved from New Jersey to Atlanta?