Have at it

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
A courier here (Express) discovered that the State facility he had been delivering housed the worst juvenile offenders from all over the state. After informing management that he would no longer deliver there out of fear for his personal safety, a compromise was reached. All deliveries are now make at the gate, and he doesn't have to enter the compound.

Perhaps a compromise in the other situation would be to contract with a business to make all deliveries in the 'danger zone' a HAL at that business.

bacha29

So you route the driver into the that area earlier in the day. Big deal.
LOL.
But does it shorten the length of the overall work day? Of course not. Chances are it will simply place the individual at best in a slightly less dangerous place but still working in darkness. And still in a highly vulnerable position. This is what happened in North Philadelphia last week.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Then what are you doing to create and provide your employees with a safe workplace environment? If incidents such as the ones in North Philly and Miami keep growing in number rest assured OSHA will be looking to hand down a new set of workplace safety rules for guys out there on routes in high crime areas.

Firearm rules vary by the workplace and OSHA isn't going to get involved. I think you should carry if you work in a higher crime area, and I also think the company has the right to fire you for doing so if they find out. Just because I agree with a company's rule doesn't mean I wouldn't break it and subject myself to the consequences of doing so.

bacha29

Firearm rules vary by the workplace and OSHA isn't going to get involved. I think you should carry if you work in a higher crime area, and I also think the company has the right to fire you for doing so if they find out. Just because I agree with a company's rule doesn't mean I wouldn't break it and subject myself to the consequences of doing so.
The simple fact is that it's not going to get any less dangerous out there for both company and contractor employed route drivers. If employers can't find a way to provide better workplace security for those route drivers themselves then OSHA and workman's comp insurers will take action.

bbsam

Staff member
The simple fact is that it's not going to get any less dangerous out there for both company and contractor employed route drivers. If employers can't find a way to provide better workplace security for those route drivers themselves then OSHA and workman's comp insurers will take action.
Lol. Faith in OSHA! Please!

bacha29

Lol. Faith in OSHA! Please!
You might just have gain some faith if they show up at your station to introduce you to their new route driver workplace security rules which might serve to bring an end this 70 hour work week much of it done in darkness increasingly common condition found at Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
You might just have gain some faith if they show up at your station to introduce you to their new route driver workplace security rules which might serve to bring an end this 70 hour work week much of it done in darkness increasingly common condition found at Ground.
I actually agree with your assessment of 70 hours being way to long. But OSHA blessed that along time ago.
When is the last time OSHA did anything to make the trucking industry wetter for drivers?

bacha29

I actually agree with your assessment of 70 hours being way to long. But OSHA blessed that along time ago.
When is the last time OSHA did anything to make the trucking industry wetter for drivers?
Bad publicity can bring about some very profound change . After all the armed robberies and shootouts this peak season somebody in the halls of power can't help but notice it. What they do about it i can't say but if it keeps up those in power might be pressured to take some firm measures. It simply cannot be allowed to continue.

bbsam

Staff member
Bad publicity can bring about some very profound change . After all the armed robberies and shootouts this peak season somebody in the halls of power can't help but notice it. What they do about it i can't say but if it keeps up those in power might be pressured to take some firm measures. It simply cannot be allowed to continue.
Of course it can be allowed to continue.
Workplace shootings and shootings in general aren’t anything new. Your outrage is commendable though.

bacha29

Of course it can be allowed to continue.
Workplace shootings and shootings in general aren’t anything new. Your outrage is commendable though.
Yes, but the difference is that what we've seen this peak season to a greater extent than in the past involves federally commissioned DOT authorized common carriers. And the question is how much of this type of workplace violence in this important segment of the economy will the halls of power tolerate if it continues?

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, but the difference is that what we've seen this peak season to a greater extent than in the past involves federally commissioned DOT authorized common carriers. And the question is how much of this type of workplace violence in this important segment of the economy will the halls of power tolerate if it continues?
How many more tragedies occur because commercial drivers are texting and emailing? What has OSHA done?

bacha29

How many more tragedies occur because commercial drivers are texting and emailing? What has OSHA done?
That's an law enforcement issue. The problem is that often it's impossible to enforce before a wreck occurs and stiffer penalties are likely. But high profile incidents like the Miami and Philadelphia incidents often involves the taking of accelerated measures. So we'll see.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

OK, whatever.

bbsam

Staff member
That's an law enforcement issue. The problem is that often it's impossible to enforce before a wreck occurs and stiffer penalties are likely. But high profile incidents like the Miami and Philadelphia incidents often involves the taking of accelerated measures. So we'll see.
It really isn’t. The technology exists to disable a phone when a vehicle is in motion. Putting than into transportation standards is actually pretty simple

High profile incidents do nothing. We are in 24 hour news cycles. A president grabbing women by the crotch is so passé today. Society does not hold individual life in nearly the high regard you think it does.