Have you been persecuted or treated unfairly by the Brown Cafe?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
...but alas it is too late...

Jones is right. I went to an online grammar site, copied and pasted the post, and it came back with one error, which was not the commas. It said that there should be a comma after edit which makes no sense to me.

It just sounded like there should be a pause between but and alas and between alas and it.
I reckon we both stand corrected then. I thought you were right but did not take the time to check it out as you did. Thanks. :happy2:

P

pickup

They weren't even errors of punctuation, there was nothing wrong with the way it was written.

I conceded :whiteflag:, Jonesy, just because I was too darn tired to argue. The use of commas is something of a a gray area in punctuation. I noticed inconsistencies amongst my english teachers in their grading my papers and they could always find something to back up their redlines on my papers. Thanks for the defense. Jonesy

No he's not. Comma's indicate a pause, and you can use alas without a pause. If anything you might use a comma after alas to indicate a slight pause in speech, but having commas both before and after just makes it sound stilted and overly mannered.

Again, I conceded. It makes me tired to read that . Imagine how tired I would have been to have researched usage of commas and then to have written the distilled answer. :dead:

Thanks! :happy-very: The 'pot' should make sure he's not making any mistakes when calling the 'kettle' out.

Maybe the kettle should thank the pot for the correction. Maybe the kettle should also remember that it did something similar last night. Maybe the kettle should remind the pot because it can't remember and is to lazy to search.
And I so rarely do that............................

Whatever. I'm not going to argue with you.

...but alas it is too late...

Jones is right.Well if Jones is right , then that makes Pickup right. I went to an online grammar site, copied and pasted the post, and it came back with one error, which was not the commas. It said that there should be a comma after edit which makes no sense to me.

It just sounded like there should be a pause between but and alas and between alas and it.

I ain't correcting nobody agin". Talk of commas always puts me into a coma.

Nimnim

The Nim
On a more thread related post, I was moderated on one post, and I kinda expected it. Wasn't anything serious and fully understood why.

From what I've noticed the mods generally seem to be fine, the occasional perhaps that was too much moment, but the mods are human just like the rest of us.

P

pickup

You're asking a lady to apologize? That's like expecting UPS and Teamsters to get along.

And pal, I ain't just asking any lady , I am asking Diligaf. I would have more chances of getting the proposed nyc mosque moved (if I ask) than I have of getting an apology out of diligaf.

Now with this post, she will probably want an apology out of me.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I conceded :whiteflag:, Jonesy, just because I was too darn tired to argue. The use of commas is something of a a gray area in punctuation. I noticed inconsistencies amongst my english teachers in their grading my papers and they could always find something to back up their redlines on my papers. Thanks for the defense. Jonesy

Again, I conceded. It makes me tired to read that . Imagine how tired I would have been to have researched usage of commas and then to have written the distilled answer. :dead:

I ain't correcting nobody agin". Talk of commas always puts me into a coma.

And pal, I ain't just asking any lady , I am asking Diligaf. I would have more chances of getting the proposed nyc mosque moved (if I ask) than I have of getting an apology out of diligaf.

Now with this post, she will probably want an apology out of me.
You conceded. Why do I need to apologize. Seemed to me that you wanted to just let it go. Why are you asking me to apologize and yet leave Dave out of this?