Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket while running your route?

bugsy

If so, how fast were you going...and what happened when your sup found out?

I accidentally hit 53 in a 25 going down a hill. Granted it's a small twisty road with lots of hills, but no one ever uses their brakes while on this road, and I've never seen cops around before. Also he was pointed in the opposite direction on the other side of the road when he caught me on radar, so I made an attempt to quickly turn onto side roads and lose him before he could turn around and catch up to me. But unfortunately, you all know the handling and acceleration of those sexy brown trucks and I was tracked down.

What should I do?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I personally have never gotten a speeding ticket in the 12years I've been driving but your post concerns me. First, you say that no one uses thier brakes and you aknowledge that its a hilly and twisty road. The second fact is you know the handling of a ups truck is like a small tank and yet you still exceeded the speed limit by 18mph. Third, adding all those things combine can equal death for any pedestrian or bicycler on that road, concern yourself with the safety of yourself and everyone around you and you'll never have to ask you original question again. I'm no safety committee member but I don't want you to have a post sometime in the future asking how to get your job back after a tier 3 , or more importantly you have to live with the fact that you took someones life tryin to get an amazon box to a customer 5 mins sooner. Be safe

UPSGUY72

If so, how fast were you going...and what happened when your sup found out?

I accidentally hit 53 in a 25 going down a hill. Granted it's a small twisty road with lots of hills, but no one ever uses their brakes while on this road, and I've never seen cops around before. Also he was pointed in the opposite direction on the other side of the road when he caught me on radar, so I made an attempt to quickly turn onto side roads and lose him before he could turn around and catch up to me. But unfortunately, you all know the handling and acceleration of those sexy brown trucks and I was tracked down.

What should I do?

Unbelievable Small twisty road and more than double the speed limit ???? How much was that ticket ?? If your story is true you should have been arrested or cited for reckless driving.

Try to explain to your SUP or building manager why your where doing more than double the speed limit in your " sexy brown truck" and see if you keep your job.

If it's true you need to tell your SUP because they are going to find out sooner or later and better by you than the rumor mill in or outside of work. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was a couple of MPH over however more than Double the speed limit is going to be a problem.

bugsy

I personally have never gotten a speeding ticket in the 12years I've been driving but your post concerns me. First, you say that no one uses thier brakes and you aknowledge that its a hilly and twisty road. The second fact is you know the handling of a ups truck is like a small tank and yet you still exceeded the speed limit by 18mph. Third, adding all those things combine can equal death for any pedestrian or bicycler on that road, concern yourself with the safety of yourself and everyone around you and you'll never have to ask you original question again. I'm no safety committee member but I don't want you to have a post sometime in the future asking how to get your job back after a tier 3 , or more importantly you have to live with the fact that you took someones life tryin to get an amazon box to a customer 5 mins sooner. Be safe

It's quite a big hill, but there is a long straight section at the bottom of it, so normally when I drive down it I let it coast all the way to the bottom.

raceanoncr

It's quite a big hill, but there is a long straight section at the bottom of it, so normally when I drive down it I let it coast all the way to the bottom.

Not to be a smart*** here, but "...I let it coast all the way to the bottom"?

I hope to God you don't mean you kick it outta gear and let it fly in neutral!

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm also not seeing 28 turning into 53 as feasible just because you're using a phone to type. I'm sensing some bs here.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm also not seeing 28 turning into 53 as feasible just because you're using a phone to type. I'm sensing some bs here.

I'm not the op if you would have bothered to read my post. I was stating that he was 18 over the speed limit bu not typing a 2 instead of a 1. Please report your bs sensors on telematics as faulty on your dvir.

Nimnim

The Nim
In my reply to him I messed up and put 18 over , not 28. Please read the whole post

I'm not the op if you would have bothered to read my post. I was stating that he was 18 over the speed limit bu not typing a 2 instead of a 1. Please report your bs sensors on telematics as faulty on your dvir.

My apologies, you're right, I confused you with the OP. Your mistake is plausible.

However this helps the OP even less with my BS sensor, twice the speed limit is pretty serious and likely something other than just speeding was handed out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think the OP is a rouse.

It's ridiculous. Even a rookie driver knows to shift down, or auto shift into 2 or L for advanced braking..I think this is a real post, though, not a troll.

53 in a 25 in a large box truck? (I'm guessing) license should be revoked.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
My apologies, you're right, I confused you with the OP. Your mistake is plausible.

However this helps the OP even less with my BS sensor, twice the speed limit is pretty serious and likely something other than just speeding was handed out.

I would agree with you as well, but as you probably already know we have drivers who scratch routes by 2 hours. Wether this guy is bsing or not, this is just another way that actual drivers perform out there to make those numbers. They live by the philosophy that if you dont get caught, it ain't illegal.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's ridiculous. Even a rookie driver knows to shift down, or auto shift into 2 or L for advanced braking..I think this is a real post, though, not a troll.

53 in a 25 in a large box truck? (I'm guessing) license should be revoked.
Here in Georgia I believe that anything over 20 is arrestable. I know in my younger years it was first hand. It may be the officers discretion depending on conditions and whatnot. Generally officers leave the "working man" alone unless they blatantly break the law, then it's gloves off

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
A speeding ticket is no big deal unless you get several within a couple of years. Usually they are 4 points. At 12, you lose your license.

Anything above 20 is reckless driving, and in some places its 15. Reckless driving is much worse, both in points and the way UPS views the ticket. They could take you off the road for reckless driving. So it is very very serious. Not at all the shrug it off occurrence you are trying to portray.

Also, around here, if the area is considered residential, you get the ticket, and in addition to the ticket, you have to pay an additional fine per MPH over. Here it is $200.00 per MPH. So your ticket here would cost you $500 for the reckless driving, $5600.00 in fines, and $55-95 in court costs. And you would only need one more point offense on your record to lose your license, as reckless at this speed is 8-10 points. You might get the points reduced if you attend an 8 hour safe driving class, but you would still have at least 4-6.

IF you have your CDL, the above is doubled in our area, without the ability to take the classes to reduce the points.

That ought to give you a clue as to how stupid it was to break the law. Not to mention it puts UPS and your fellow driver in a bad light to the public.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Jack, you are correct, the officer can arrest you on the spot for a reckless driving charge. And in this case, he could even be charged with evading arrest. So not only was he stupid for speeding, he made it worse by trying to get away.

d