Health care

Jack Harrison

UPS is one of the few companies allowed to impose a lifetime cap on medical coverage for retirees. As you may know, it’s relatively low— capped at only 1,000,000. With the current cost of healthcare, that can add up very quickly. I’m wondering if any of you have added a supplemental plan to protect your assets in the event you cap out?

542thruNthru

UPS is one of the few companies allowed to impose a lifetime cap on medical coverage for retirees. As you may know, it’s relatively low— capped at only 1,000,000. With the current cost of healthcare, that can add up very quickly. I’m wondering if any of you have added a supplemental plan to protect your assets in the event you cap out?

The west has no cap with this new contract.

Can you tell me why UPS gets away with it?

Jack Harrison

I’m confused...what do you mean the west has no cap on this new contract?

ERISA contains an exception for certain coverage mandates for retiree only plans. The court also pointed out that agency guidance has indicated that exceptions for retiree-only plans are still in effect. If you want to read more, there is an article entitled “UPS can apply lifetime limits to it’s retiree health plans” You can google.

542thruNthru

I’m confused...what do you mean the west has no cap on this new contract?

ERISA contains an exception for certain coverage mandates for retiree only plans. The court also pointed out that agency guidance has indicated that exceptions for retiree-only plans are still in effect. If you want to read more, there is an article entitled “UPS can apply lifetime limits to it’s retiree health plans” You can google.

I'd have to look but with this new contract we were told the lifetime cap was removed for the Teamsters Western Region and Local 177 Health Care Plan

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Uh......no.

It is a common practice to impose a lifetime cap on medical coverage for retirees; however, it is not really a "lifetime" as you will lose your coverage when you turn 65 and go on to Medicare.

My daughter works for a health insurance company and we will decide together what coverage I will need when the time comes.

Shiftless

Yes. Retirees are offered healthcare through their union local. That plan would more than likely have a lifetime cap. Most if not all of those plans kick you off when you turn 65.

My Health package is thru UPS not the union. It depends on the contract and region you are in how retirement health care is handled. I retired under the WCT pension program. Southern California district. Not all WCT pensions plans use the same healthcare plans and costs for each plan. Nor Cal. is different than So Cal for instance. But we all get our pensions thru the WCT Pension Plan.

I am just signing up for medicare. UPS has already notified me that they will be in second position. They only pay what part "A&B" doesn't pay. If I were to choose not to take part "B" (A is mandatory) UPS would only pay the remainder of what costs that part "B" would have paid and I would would be responsible for the cost of the part "B" schedule under my healthcare retirement plan.

It's lifetime. No Cap.

I suggest anyone reading this thread do their research in their area's Contract agreement. It's not rocket science but don't be relying on word of mouth at the center or at your local or even this site as it may not directly apply to you. Do your research, contact the entity who handles your pension directly and those who administer your health care at retirement and cross your tee's and dot your eye's!

Just a note: If you are at the age of 65? You have 3 months before, the month of and three months after your birthday to sign up for medicare! If you don't they fine you! But here is the rub! In my case, in the event I haven't signed up by the birthday month I was told I will be liable for those costs incurred and UPS insurance would pay only their portion if not already signed up. SO sign up well in advance to avoid that!

Gotta Love Choices!

cachmeifucan

I heard of guys getting supplemental insurance after retirement but at 65 they dump us all on Medicare. But I got a question il be 65 she will be 55 what happens then. And if I get divorced by then I'm sure my next wife will be even younger win win

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I heard of guys getting supplemental insurance after retirement but at 65 they dump us all on Medicare. But I got a question il be 65 she will be 55 what happens then. And if I get divorced by then I'm sure my next wife will be even younger win win

Check with your local-----she should be covered for at least 5 years.

You really shouldn't need a supplemental policy when you retire.