Hello from Worldport

Aurwu

How would I know?
On my introduction post someone asked me to share some info from Worldport. So, here we go...

I joined UPS during peak with full intention to stay on as a part-time worker for 3rd shift (so I can get that money for college). Was hired, had orientation and super condensed training on the 16th (same day) that I barely remember b/c it was at 10AM and I was already on a third-shift sleep schedule.

Started working the day after as a bagger in small sort. Wasn't given a QT, was told what to do, and kicked it into gear. I got help when I asked for it but probably that same night I was able to function by myself. I mean I literally didn't know for sure where to go or what shuttle to catch so I could get back to my car and go home. My co-workers helped me thank god.

It's been 7 days straight of working hard and working overtime, on average from around 7:45PM to 5:00AM. Sleep, work, eat, repeat every day almost literally. And let me tell you that is not fun for someone who literally JUST joined and didn't get the chance to get used to the labor. What can I say, I make the dumbest life choices possible. I've been lucky because all but my hands/thumbs have adjusted quickly and these past two or three days I woke up without being sore.

I've cried twice during work now and I'm honestly not even sure why, thankfully no one has seen me, LOL. I've worked hard and put all of my effort into the job, though. Luckily it paid off and I was asked to stay on permanently. I will have to go through actual orientation and training again and will be assigned a QT (basically will be going through the process the correct way).

I'm not sure what the volume has been for each day, most recently I remember the number 2.4mil + over 300k in upgrades.

I'm so excited to find out what Worldport is like outside of peak, though. When I'm only working 5 or less hours and only 5 days a week.

Merry Christmas everyone!

(PS if anyone could tell me how to delete threads/if it's possible could you please let me know)

SCV good to go sir.

I hope you don't plan on deleting this thread. Even if the conversation ends, topics still get views years later and the experience you've shared is an insightful one.

What is a QT though? Pretty sure you're not talking about a cutie.

As for crying at work... I'm sure you're not the only one. When I failed my first attempt as a cover driver I cried when I got home. In retrospect it wasn't just that I failed, but I think I realized on a subconscious level what the job required of me and what I was going to have to give up. Growing pains.

watdaflock?

Management most likely caught on that you're way smarter than most employees. Seriously, if UPS is just a temp gig while in college, down the road consider becoming a pt supervisor. Get part of your school paid for by UPS and having the supervisor position would look great on a resume, right out of college.

Good luck.