Hello guys i'm new to the site and just had my tour

gandydancer

Thanks guys lol @ sleeve_meet. I will be working from 11:00 p.m to 4:30 a.m. So i'm trying to find a job that I can work during the day atm. But i'm going search for boots and gloves today. Anyone have an idea where I can find some for a reasonable price? I know wal-mart is one but what are some others?

Save some money: get some duct tape. You'll wear out the fingertips of your gloves, but with duct tape they'll last forever. Use half inch strips torn off the roll length- (not cross-) wise. One strip over the top, then wraps to the second joint.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Save some money: get some duct tape. You'll wear out the fingertips of your gloves, but with duct tape they'll last forever. Use half inch strips torn off the roll length- (not cross-) wise. One strip over the top, then wraps to the second joint.

Sounds tried and true! Most of the loaders and unloaders over here use the blue sticky tack gloves most of the year and the grey sticky gloves in the winter (their lined). Boots...I did buy the cheap Brahma shoes from Walmart and they do work ok. If you buy the cheap boots make sure you get some really good insoles like the ones made for work. They do make a HUGE difference. Once you're able to afford it, go for some Sketcher work shoes. They are the most comfortable that I've had and they last a reasonably long time. I would suggest having 2 or even 3 pairs of work shoes so you don't wear them out too quickly. I have my Brahma's, a pair of Danner's (expensive as hell, but oh my goodness they are sooooo worth it!) and some Doc Martins. The doc's are for summer driving (when I drive anyway) the Danner's are for the cold, wet, and snowy days, and the Brahma's is for my normal car shifting job. Good Luck!

dillweed

Congrats on the job and welcome to BC!

On the boots, I wouldn't spend $100 on a pair of boots until I knew I was going to stick with the job. JC Penney has decent work shoes with the safe toe box, that's where I bought a good pair once. Make sure they're comfy and do wear them around to make sure they aren't going to rub on your heel or anything.

We use Atlas gloves they are blue with a rubbery, non-slip palm. They last quite a long time and really give a good grip. You can probably find them at a home depot or menards.

For right now don't worry about anything except working as directed but safely. They do try to push for speed, it's the way they make $$ but don't get frazzled enough to hurt yourself. Best of luck and let us know how you're doing.

jesus_saves

I brought some brahma steeltoes from walmart and some cheap gloves. I got an email from ups earlier letting me know I had an appointment for 7:30 p.m and the HR manager just called and confirmed that with me a few mins ago. He also told me to bring my license and my ss card then he said bring some boots. I told him I already brought some boots and gloves. :D so wish me luck guys lol :D i'm ready for the pain!!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I brought some brahma steeltoes from walmart and some cheap gloves. I got an email from ups earlier letting me know I had an appointment for 7:30 p.m and the HR manager just called and confirmed that with me a few mins ago. He also told me to bring my license and my ss card then he said bring some boots. I told him I already brought some boots and gloves. :D so wish me luck guys lol :D i'm ready for the pain!!!!

Congrats and keep posting

trickpony1

Try to ignore the Brown Satan the lurks within the confines of the building and you'll do great.
Good Luck.

rod

Retired 22 years
Welcome to the tar pits---be forwarned-- if you hang aroung here long enough you will be stuck like the rest of us.:peaceful:

jesus_saves

Well so far so good yesterday we only filled out papers and looked at video's. He said tonight we will get an hour of work done as far as loading. Btw I'm a loader so what should I expect I hear its harder then unloading cause you have to scan packages etc. If anyone don't mind give me some a heads up about this job as far as what I should make sure to do every time.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Well so far so good yesterday we only filled out papers and looked at video's. He said tonight we will get an hour of work done as far as loading. Btw I'm a loader so what should I expect I hear its harder then unloading cause you have to scan packages etc. If anyone don't mind give me some a heads up about this job as far as what I should make sure to do every time.

One word - iPod

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Loading feeders ( ups talk for trailers ) is a good entry level job.
To build a decent wall its the heavy ones on the bottom, and everything else on top . try to remember what a brick wall should look like, boxes overlapping at the seams on each level as you build up. Take your time, work safely, and set a good pace. Drink plenty of liquids.

...Do not buy cheap boots if you can afford it as you will regret it later and your feet and body will thank you for good boots also I recommend steel toe and a higher boot with some ankle support...

Well said. Besides, the soles of cheap boots wear down in no time. I have a pair of steel-toed Wolverines that were around $70 at Academy Sports and Outdoors, soles still in great shape, comfortable as a boot can be after being on your feet for several hours. I hate spending money as much as the next guy, but splurge a little. As evilleace said, your feet (and your arse and back of your head, regarding the soles) will thank you.

So, any updates? They haven't called me back yet, but a bunch of new forms appeared in my application (direct deposit, etc) on the upsjobs web site, so I'm guessing my background check came back. Funny thing is under "Position" where it used to say "Package Handler" now it says "Regional Sales Manager Admin Asst." I'm hoping my application didn't get mixed up with someone else's.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
So, any updates? They haven't called me back yet, but a bunch of new forms appeared in my application (direct deposit, etc) on the upsjobs web site, so I'm guessing my background check came back. Funny thing is under "Position" where it used to say "Package Handler" now it says "Regional Sales Manager Admin Asst." I'm hoping my application didn't get mixed up with someone else's.

Don't worry, you have about as much experience as most management!

jesus_saves

So far so good guys! I been @ ups going on two weeks and I used some of yall advice about getting the dr scholls because at first my feet were killing me now its normal. They have me working alone on 3 (training trucks) The zip codes were easy to remember but Now he said that i'm doing so good that he will put me on a big truck within 2 weeks with about 65 zip codes to remember. I already brought the shet home so I can start remembering it. One more question how hard is the sorting test? I'm going to try to get the certification for it. At my hub its an dollar rise plus I guess its no more hardwork :D