Hello guys i'm new to the site and just had my tour

dillweed

Glad to hear you've made it through those first two weeks. See, you're tougher than you thought. It is horrible though, isn't it? :happy-very:

Those zips will come to you in time. Never had to take a sort test so don't know what it's like. At our center we just get sentenced to that area and we have PAL labels so it's easy in that respect. Two of our belts, however, are at forehead level and it's rough to get some of the heavier pkgs up there.

Take your time and don't get frazzled with the zips. Be safe and keep us posted.

P

pickup

my congratulations to the vets here from refraining from negative and discouraging comments to the new guy. Never worked loading and unloading but see the guys who do it quite a bit and all I can say is have a good attitude and get plenty of sleep. I don't know what kind of shift you'll be working but if you finish late in the morning be careful not to be fooled by the extra surge of energy you get when the daylight hits you and then be tempted to do other things in the daytime at the expense of your sleep , you'll pay dearly for it at the start of your next shift. Oh, as for boots, if you went cheap, those gel insoles (which you can get at any pharmacy) can make uncomfortable boots seem like heaven.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There are quite a few negatives, but he/she will get the hang of it.

Sorting is worth the extra dollar. If you work in a hub, it'll be much more challenging than a small building. There are 11 sort belts in our hub and it takes the average new person about 2 weeks to feel reasonably comfortable with it.

I finally got my call last night and I start Wed morning at 3. The "Position" on UPSjobs changed back to "Preload" from that admin assistant or whatever it was before, so I don't know what got screwed up there.

jesus_saves

Well last night they took me off the 3 small training trailers and added me to the biggest and busiest trailer in our section. The one I was talking about they were going to put me on in two weeks. (word from around the hub)the dude who used to do the truck got fired for stealing last week. My supervisor came up to me and told me he didn't want to put me on it now but he had to. So when he told me that I was like okay this is my first big task @ ups so lets see if I can handle it. As the cities came in I just started to remember them the first time I seen them and the rest was cake. One of the dudes came in to help me during the bustiest times of the night and he told me you are holding this truck down man they said you were doing over 300 packages an hour. When I heard that I was like wow I am flying. Then my super came after the break and told me I was doing 261 and that he had to cut me or that other new dude who started like 2 and a half weeks ago cause he was still doing like 110. So I feel kind of good about myself right now and cause even the full time supervisor came talk to me and ask how I was doing and how i'm liking the job. The dude I work with said damn man you in he never talk to anyone. So thanks all and I know it will be rough days but i'm ready for them

dutchups

Hello everybody, i`ve read most of the threads in this post.
It`s good to see how you give Jesus-saves good (practical) advice!!!!!!

Every now and then there is a lot of negativity passing by; this one was quite the opposite.
Keep it up!!!!!

Jesus-saves; good luck on your job!!!
Greetings from overseas

Had my first day this morning. I can tell I'll be a bit sore tomorrow, but other than that no worse for wear. Out of 4 new hires, I was the only one to show on time, one was 20 minutes late, and two were no-shows.

HR totally freaked out my wife. They got one of the two no-shows mixed up with me and called my home and left a message on the answering machine asking why I didn't show for work. My wife knew I left for work at 2:30, couldn't reach me on my cell (not allowed in the building) and starts imagining me in a ditch or wrapped around a telephone pole. Of course, I'm oblivious to all this until I get back into my truck at 8:30 and get my cell out of the glove box.

jesus_saves

Lol man they almost got you killed :D but goodluck and just hang is there lastnight I loaded 700+ packages within an 2 1/2 hour span. But I had a mad headache since I woke up that morning so I hope tonight it gets better cause i'm still kinda feeling this headache

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Had my first day this morning. I can tell I'll be a bit sore tomorrow, but other than that no worse for wear. Out of 4 new hires, I was the only one to show on time, one was 20 minutes late, and two were no-shows.

HR totally freaked out my wife. They got one of the two no-shows mixed up with me and called my home and left a message on the answering machine asking why I didn't show for work. My wife knew I left for work at 2:30, couldn't reach me on my cell (not allowed in the building) and starts imagining me in a ditch or wrapped around a telephone pole. Of course, I'm oblivious to all this until I get back into my truck at 8:30 and get my cell out of the glove box.

Please don't let this pass without speaking to someone from HR and asking that whomever called your wife call her back and apologize for scaring the poop out of her and then ask them to check twice before placing phone calls of this nature.

jesus_saves

Well yesterday I did 273 an hour. I talked to my sup about when the benefits go into effect cause I know they are letting everyone go at the end of dec and he told me if they let him have his way I will not get cut in dec. So I hope all goes right cause everyone are trippin about how fast I work as a new guy and on the hardest truck in our section.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well yesterday I did 273 an hour. I talked to my sup about when the benefits go into effect cause I know they are letting everyone go at the end of dec and he told me if they let him have his way I will not get cut in dec. So I hope all goes right cause everyone are trippin about how fast I work as a new guy and on the hardest truck in our section.

Good luck. The tortiose wins the race at UPS, not the suck-up worker in a hurry. You won't get anywhere "trippin" people, believe me.

chev

Nightcrawler
Actually if you are a hard worker and show up every day on time, you will stand out above the rest. This is how you get hired after peak. Hopefully you will get lucky, but with the way the economy is right now and the layoffs that are sure to come, you will be lucky to get it. :sad-little:

jesus_saves

Good luck. The tortiose wins the race at UPS, not the suck-up worker in a hurry. You won't get anywhere "trippin" people, believe me.

sorry when I said trippin I wanted to say amazed by how fast I was working but i'm work hard every I had so far i'm only 26 and with a wife and kids I have to do my thing.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Took me a while to learn this - I should have listened to the people on this board telling me so - but those who work the fastest can count on one reward, and one only;

More work coupled with unreasonable expectations.

There are no "attaboys" at UPS, there is no reward for doing better than anyone else. You do more work than anyone else? You won't get a thank you or recognition, you will get grief when you don't keep that peak performance.

There is a reason why your fellow sorters / unloaders work at a slower pace than you, and it is not laziness, and not because they are tired or don't care; they have learned that there is simply no good reason to.

Here is the most clear expectation/similarity I can come up with; Picture the old Roman Ships, with rows & rows of men in the bowels of the ship, pulling on the oars, hearing "ROW, ROW, ROW" over & over again. These men had no control over where the ship was going, had no say in how the ship was run, and would be happy if, by the end of the day, they survived & were not whipped. Only UPS is worse than that, because you also have to listen to morning meetings talking about power zones and how to use your feet until you want to kill someone.

You will learn that UPS is not what you were expecting. You will learn that the only time you will hear from your SUPs is when you screw up. And, my most recent revelation, you know you have had a great day when you are simply left alone to do your job.

Sorry - feeling just a tad negative on UPS this week.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Saves, I completely understand that you have to do your thing. If it's just in your nature to hustle and you don't feel right otherwise, then by all means, hustle. I know you do all things to the glory of God and that's more than alright, just understand that seniority rules at UPS. If you signed into the union, then you have to abide by the laws that govern. Sucks, I know. Have some patience and eventually, it will pay off for you with great benefits. If you can afford to wait it out.

jesus_saves

Thanks for the information guys and yes I do give god the glory but I won't lie to anyone i'm not angel and I make the same mistakes over and over daily even tho I know god doesn't approve of them. I am only human but back to ups Yes I understand about working fast but I was mostly going by the new people who started before me. It would be perfect if they keep me on instead of dropping me on the 31 of dec. Meaning I would have to start my time again. But the sooner the better I can have my foot in the door and move up to driver (I hope) btw what all test etc. does the drivers go through? Everyone been telling me that everyone fails their first time.

sano

There are no "attaboys" at UPS, there is no reward for doing better than anyone else. You do more work than anyone else? You won't get a thank you or recognition, you will get grief when you don't keep that peak performance.

I have only been here for a few months, but my experience is different than yours.
I think it really varies depending on your supervisors. When I do a good job I have received compliments and a thank you.
There are managers that look at their people as just another piece of equipment, but there are also good managers that realise that people work better when treated with basic respect.
I am not disagreeing with your viewpoint, just saying it is not that way everywhere in the company.