Hello! Package Handler Question

M

mrphyalc

Both my son and daughter want to take advantage of UPS educational benefits, but I have heard that UPS does not hire relatives. Does this apply to part-time package handlers or supervisory/management type positions, or all? Thanks for your help.

LKLND3380

Hello everyone!

Haven't been on for a while...been busy with lots of stuff.

I have attempted to search for this answer but have been unsuccessful.

I am interviewing for a PH position in a few weeks. I am curious if package handlers get to wear a uniform. Is it really as easy as I am reading here to get the job? Should I be expecting a large group of people when I go in for the tour? How quickly do you start if they select you?

Thank you all!

:)

No uniform... unless you are a driver or a driver helper...

If you pass the interview and invited back for the tour of the building - you should be in...

Expect 5 to 10 people and expect 2/3 to quit within the first couple days...

They do not hire you until they do a background check... You start once you are cleared...

LKLND3380

Hello!

TY for the answers. I am 27 years old. I am 5' tall. Will that matter? I weigh about 110 pounds. (I am only telling you this because I've read that you need to be physically fit...hopefully I am!!)

I don't want to be ruled out because I am "little." I am a tough cookie!! :tongue_sm

Angie

you could be 5' and 190lbs... what matters is if you can keep up the pace continuously for four hours with only one 10 minute break

LKLND3380

One other thing regarding 70 lb packages. If you are in the unload, and you run across a 60-70 lb package, the packages should be on the floor of the truck so just move it enough on the rollers and it will roll down itself to the primary sorter. If you are loading you should not lift it above your head, or for that matter dont lift it at all. leave it on the floor of the truck and use it as a base for your wall. if you are sorting, and you have a 70 lb package, ask for help, for crying out loud. I ask for help if I have a 50 lb package and I have been doing this for almost 30 years. Good luck

LOL:happy-very: Jacksonville sends over 70s scattered throughout the feeder... I saw one over 70 stack on top other packages approx 4' to 5' high. The unload part time supe (about three years ago) pulled a wall down (training a new hire) and had a irreg fall on the new hire...

satellitedriver

Gee Angie, I hate to sound sexist here but one of the criteria I needed to get the job was to be able to lift up to 70 pounds by myself. you weighing 110 that's more than half your weight...could you manage???
I weigh 170lbs and lift/load and deliver 150lb pkg's, by myself, daily.
One of the strongest men in the world stands under 5ft tall.
The only point I am try to make is that it can be done.
Go for it Angie.

dillweed

I've never been hassled to lift any heavy or irregular pkg by myself. Even if it's less than 70 pounds co-workers are more than happy to help with it.
In 15 years I've only had one person refuse to help and he's always been a worm anyway....

HazMatMan

I weigh 170lbs and lift/load and deliver 150lb pkg's, by myself, daily.
One of the strongest men in the world stands under 5ft tall.
The only point I am try to make is that it can be done.
Go for it Angie.

You lift 150's by yourself?? Good way to get a hernia!! What happens when you get hurt?? You being a man weighing 170 is a heck of a lot different than a woman weighing what was it 110?? It was posted so long ago I forgot.. Plus my congrats to the shortest strongest man who has probably been lifting weights since he was 5. A woman coming into UPS at 110 with no prior physical lifting as she will be doing is a lot different..And I do agree with you, it certainly can be done..I wonder if she got the job, she applied for it in February 2007..BTW. Many city jobs (at least New York City) require a physical, this includes heavy lifting (sanitation) obstacle courses with heavy equipment being worn (fire dept.) maybe UPS should adopt something like this..

local804

Wow, I took a lot of heat for this one. Hey I wish you all the luck in your UPS endeavors but in MY experiences working with most women NOT all of them, it's more of a headache than not.. Once again, please do not attack me on this issue, after all I do have freedom of speech in the good old USA...

and to top it off, your a Met fan!~ boooooh

local804

You lift 150's by yourself?? Good way to get a hernia!! What happens when you get hurt?? You being a man weighing 170 is a heck of a lot different than a woman weighing what was it 110?? It was posted so long ago I forgot.. Plus my congrats to the shortest strongest man who has probably been lifting weights since he was 5. A woman coming into UPS at 110 with no prior physical lifting as she will be doing is a lot different..And I do agree with you, it certainly can be done..

Lifting 150 could turn into a failure to follow instructions problem God forbid you get hurt. UPS does not want you to lift it by yourself and neither should your family. We are not as strong as we were when we were teens.

filthpig

Hello everyone!

Haven't been on for a while...been busy with lots of stuff.

I have attempted to search for this answer but have been unsuccessful.

I am interviewing for a PH position in a few weeks. I am curious if package handlers get to wear a uniform. Is it really as easy as I am reading here to get the job? Should I be expecting a large group of people when I go in for the tour? How quickly do you start if they select you?
Just be ready to work hard for about 4 hrs. a day. Turnover is high because no one wants to work hard anymore, so you should be hired and start within 10 days of your interview unless you steal something while you're there.

Thank you all!

:)

thebrownbox

Hello!

TY for the answers. I am 27 years old. I am 5' tall. Will that matter? I weigh about 110 pounds. (I am only telling you this because I've read that you need to be physically fit...hopefully I am!!)

I don't want to be ruled out because I am "little." I am a tough cookie!! :tongue_sm

Angie

geeez I thought I was lightweight.. I'm 5'9" and 125Lb however 6 months of working at UPS I already gained 5Lbs