Help filing grievance. Never filed before.

A.Spooner

I need some direction as I’ve been at UPS about 5 years and have never filed. I mainly just need to know where you get the forms from. Do I go to a show steward or my union president? Also do I fill out the paperwork on my own or do I ask either for suggestions? Also is there any time limit on filing, do I have to file within a certain number of days from the incident?
Any additional information I should know?

Thanks in advance.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I need some direction as I’ve been at UPS about 5 years and have never filed. I mainly just need to know where you get the forms from. Do I go to a show steward or my union president? Also do I fill out the paperwork on my own or do I ask either for suggestions? Also is there any time limit on filing, do I have to file within a certain number of days from the incident?

Thanks in advance.
Find your steward. I’ll jump the gun here and tag @542thruNthru for you, he’s a contractual savant. What’s the issue and what local do you work in?

A.Spooner

Several issues, I just wanted to knock them all out at once. One is constant harassment that I believe is due to me coming back to work after being off for a period of time due to a work related injury. This is tied in with it, a supervisor stated my medical paperwork was not accurate and I should have been back to work sooner, I was threatened to not get paid at all for the time I was on TAW. To note all my previous paperwork had gone to UPS corporate for my injury but my supervisor demanded they get my injury paperwork sent to them now. I called HR and it was cleared up, there were no issues with paperwork, HR had no idea what Sup was talking about, supervisor then called and said medical paperwork was good which I already knew. Next after this incident my pay for the next three paychecks was incorrect I was getting paid inside worker wages instead of full driver wages on TAW. I explained it to supervision multiple times and the issue continued for three paychecks. They eventually paid me the wages that were messed up but it took nearly a month. I’m also being followed around all day everyday, not that I care because i’m working by the methods, but just wanted to see if this is oversupervision. I also get told I need to be more like my old self and move faster like I did prior to my injury.

Lastly on my first day back from my injury to TAW my supervisor said he needed me to go with him to drive to another UPS building nearby as we got 4 of their air packages. I obliged. The next day he said they needed to do a ride along with me since I was off for a long time so they would just use the one from the previous day. None of the stuff that was wrote in the ride along was accurate. It said I back twice, never happened, it said I need to bend at the knees better, keep my work in power zone, amongst other things. I never even went in the bulkhead door. Sup literally handed me two envelopes from the back of truck and he took two. Walked into the other UPS building, dropped stuff off and left. It’s not possible that any of this stuff could possibly be true. He stated we have to write down at least 6 areas of improvement as UPS requires it even though we didn’t do any of the normal stuff in a ride along, and as of the day he rode with me it wasn’t considered a ride along. He just stated the day after it happened, hey I forgot we gotta do a ride along for you so we’ll just make one up. I just don’t want it to look like i’m making mistakes when i’m not.

I’m not sure if any of this is considered harassment, or even grievable, but I figured if anyone could advise it would be someone here.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
A UPS supervisor wrote or said something about you that wasn't true? This is what they do. They are not your friend, I don't care how fast or good you are at your job. You have a target on your back. They were probably setting you up to make their case. You need to keep notes on EVERYTHING that is said and EVERYTHING that happens to you.

A.Spooner

A UPS supervisor wrote or said something about you that wasn't true? This is what they do. They are not your friend, I don't care how fast or good you are at your job. You have a target on your back. They were probably setting you up to make their case. You need to keep notes on EVERYTHING that is said and EVERYTHING that happens to you.

In addition to keeping notes which I do keep notes and photos, should I file on this? What would I even file it as? I can prove I didn’t back that day based on telematics, but can I prove that I didn’t even go into the bulkhead area and pick up a package, and do any of the things mentioned? Should I file just to put something in writing?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
In addition to keeping notes which I do keep notes and photos, should I file on this? What would I even file it as? I can prove I didn’t back that day based on telematics, but can I prove that I didn’t even go into the bulkhead area and pick up a package, and do any of the things mentioned? Should I file just to put something in writing?
First things first, what local/supplement are you in?

Different supplements will handle oversupervision differently, I would guess.
You can find your contract here unless you are in 705, or 710.
UPS and UPS Freight Agreements, 2018 – 2023

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I’m in Central States.

Okay.
So in the master, 3.7:

Supervisors Working (a) The Employer agrees that the function of supervisors is the supervision of Employees and not the performance of the work of the employees they supervise. Accordingly, the Employer agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform any bargaining unit work, except to train employees or demonstrate safety...

So it sounds like their ride alongs are clearly breaking that.

The underpayment should be a grievance in and of itself, if I'm reading this right.
Article 17:
Other shortages involving more than fifty ($50.00) dollars for fulltime employees, and twenty-five ($25.00) dollars for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected.

Again, 542 will probably have better insights. But that's what I'm reading.

542thruNthru

Several issues, I just wanted to knock them all out at once. One is constant harassment that I believe is due to me coming back to work after being off for a period of time due to a work related injury. This is tied in with it, a supervisor stated my medical paperwork was not accurate and I should have been back to work sooner, I was threatened to not get paid at all for the time I was on TAW. To note all my previous paperwork had gone to UPS corporate for my injury but my supervisor demanded they get my injury paperwork sent to them now. I called HR and it was cleared up, there were no issues with paperwork, HR had no idea what Sup was talking about, supervisor then called and said medical paperwork was good which I already knew. Next after this incident my pay for the next three paychecks was incorrect I was getting paid inside worker wages instead of full driver wages on TAW. I explained it to supervision multiple times and the issue continued for three paychecks. They eventually paid me the wages that were messed up but it took nearly a month. I’m also being followed around all day everyday, not that I care because i’m working by the methods, but just wanted to see if this is oversupervision. I also get told I need to be more like my old self and move faster like I did prior to my injury.

Lastly on my first day back from my injury to TAW my supervisor said he needed me to go with him to drive to another UPS building nearby as we got 4 of their air packages. I obliged. The next day he said they needed to do a ride along with me since I was off for a long time so they would just use the one from the previous day. None of the stuff that was wrote in the ride along was accurate. It said I back twice, never happened, it said I need to bend at the knees better, keep my work in power zone, amongst other things. I never even went in the bulkhead door. Sup literally handed me two envelopes from the back of truck and he took two. Walked into the other UPS building, dropped stuff off and left. It’s not possible that any of this stuff could possibly be true. He stated we have to write down at least 6 areas of improvement as UPS requires it even though we didn’t do any of the normal stuff in a ride along, and as of the day he rode with me it wasn’t considered a ride along. He just stated the day after it happened, hey I forgot we gotta do a ride along for you so we’ll just make one up. I just don’t want it to look like i’m making mistakes when i’m not.

I’m not sure if any of this is considered harassment, or even grievable, but I figured if anyone could advise it would be someone here.

I don't believe you can file a grievance for penalty pay because the issue has already been resolved but next time file a grievance under Article 17 of the NMA for any shortages on your pay check.

Get as many witnesses as you can and file a grievance for harrassment under Article 37 of the NMA. Talk to your shop steward about these issues and he/she should be able to help you file as well.

When they reviewed the S&V with you did you sign it or write anything down?

I’m in Central States.
I'll correct this before BUG sees it.

Central Region... :)

542thruNthru

Find your steward. I’ll jump the gun here and tag @542thruNthru for you, he’s a contractual savant. What’s the issue and what local do you work in?

Not a savant but I is very...
tumblr_f001a0a38cb796fcc99c430beb798e75_74f0bd5f_500.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I need some direction as I’ve been at UPS about 5 years and have never filed. I mainly just need to know where you get the forms from. Do I go to a shop steward or my union president?

You Local Union Steward will have grievance forms, and will help you fill them out.

Also is there any time limit on filing, do I have to file within a certain number of days from the incident?

Absolutely.

Responded above in comments. In the Central Region.

ARTICLE 5—GRIEVANCES

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18centralregionsupp.pdf

A.Spooner

I don't believe you can file a grievance for penalty pay because the issue has already been resolved but next time file a grievance under Article 17 of the NMA for any shortages on your pay check.

Get as many witnesses as you can and file a grievance for harrassment under Article 37 of the NMA. Talk to your shop steward about these issues and he/she should be able to help you file as well.

When they reviewed the S&V with you did you sign it or write anything down?

I'll correct this before BUG sees it.

Central Region

No I did not makes any comments on the ride along. I know I should have, and that was surely a mistake. Does that immediately toss that out the window as me not having any recourse?

A.Spooner

What is the timeframe to file? I may have misunderstood the contract but from what I read it’s 5 days. Is that correct, if so all of the above is null and void because it’s been longer then that. I’ve just been holding onto them for about a month and a half just to see what else they would do and file them all at once.

The grievance shall be discussed with the employee’s immediate supervisor or with the aggrieved employee and his/her shop stew- ard. If the grievance is not resolved within one (1) working day;
It shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the griev- ance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union and have it submitted to the company within five (5) working days.
Upon proper notification by the Employer to discipline an employ- ee, the employee shall have ten (10) calendar days to file a griev- ance in protest of the discipline taken.
If the parties fail to reach a decision or agree upon a settlement in the matter, it shall be submitted to the State Committee or UPS Joint Area Committee, whichever is applicable, and docketed in accordance with established panel rules and procedures.

ManInBrown

Thanks in advance.
No you don’t fill anything out. You’re steward fills them out and you just sign them.