HELP!!!, ive never been so stressed, angry and miserable in my life!!!

ups79

You are working for a pension and retirement. Very few of my sups or center managers or other management people that I knew ever retired. They eventually find a way to be terminated before reaching retirement age.

papasteve

All of this advice is great. Every worker, whether it be driver,pre loader,or clerk has a different stress threshold. Sounds like yours is maxed out. Before it gets any worse get some help. I've seen many drivers in this situation on this site and hope they got through it without losing their jobs or health. I really enjoyed my job until this modern technology came along. Sure, I was stressed from day one ,but somehow managed to give UPS 30+ years before retiring, I guess because I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and it finally came. (WHEW) Anyway, it was tough ride especially towards the end when they started questioning every move I made. That helped me to decide to hang it up. You have to think about whats best for you and your family. It will be a challenge and struggle and I hope UPS management sees what they are doing to their dedicated and hard working employees before its too late. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

thank you, all of you , very much. this has been incredibly helpful. of course the source of all this suffering was an OJS where he pushed me far beyond what i am comfortable doing on a daily basis. he was yelling at me for drinking water, he was harrasing me to walk faster. the guy is 6'5 and was practically running saying, "dont you realize that im always 5 steps ahead of you!!" i said if i was walking as fast as him, he'd STILL be 5 steps ahead of me and im not stupid. but i am not good with confrontation, i dont like to be on the radar, so i tried to hard to impress, so he would leave me alone, and the whole time i was thinking, "i am SCREWING myself!!" but he got me. plain and simple, he did what he set out to do, and now im hurting.

I still take my lunch and breaks EVERYDAY. and as far as having kids, my wife and I have an idea of how we want our family to be, ill be damned if UPS is going to interfere with that.

lastly, as i said, im not one for confrontation, so i know little to nothing about the greivance process. perhaps in the future if he gets on my case i will tell him i want another OJS, but im sure he will say something like. " we did an OJS and we wont do another just so you can try to drag it to make life easier" which of course would be right. LOL.

Thanks again everyone for you insight and opinion.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
HFS

and as far as having kids, my wife and I have an idea of how we want our family to be, ill be damned if UPS is going to interfere with that.
Glad you have great plans. But plans have to change based on financial ability. The more children you have, the more you lock yourself into having to work at ups. That is the point I was trying to make.

Now, you have introduced another variable. Wanting to have as many kids as you and the misses want. Regardless of outside influences. And that is fine, just understand, the responsibility of having more children limits your ability in the future to just walk away.

As for drinking water, unless you were sipping when you should have been drinking, he is off base. Proper hydration is very important for a driver. Even corp and the safety department recommend staying hydrated.

At 6'5, any time he used to document can be discounted at a panel, because his pace will be faster than yours, he can almost double your single step with one of his. So a fast walk for him would be a dead run for you. Document, and move on.

Now, if there are other things you screwed yourself over, then they also need to be documented just in case.

But I would bet you are just the flavor of the week or month. It will pass. Just do the job the best you can, use methods, and be safe. Period.

d

Overpaid Union Thug

thank you, all of you , very much. this has been incredibly helpful. of course the source of all this suffering was an OJS where he pushed me far beyond what i am comfortable doing on a daily basis. he was yelling at me for drinking water, he was harrasing me to walk faster. the guy is 6'5 and was practically running saying, "dont you realize that im always 5 steps ahead of you!!" i said if i was walking as fast as him, he'd STILL be 5 steps ahead of me and im not stupid. but i am not good with confrontation, i dont like to be on the radar, so i tried to hard to impress, so he would leave me alone, and the whole time i was thinking, "i am SCREWING myself!!" but he got me. plain and simple, he did what he set out to do, and now im hurting.

I still take my lunch and breaks EVERYDAY. and as far as having kids, my wife and I have an idea of how we want our family to be, ill be damned if UPS is going to interfere with that.

lastly, as i said, im not one for confrontation, so i know little to nothing about the greivance process. perhaps in the future if he gets on my case i will tell him i want another OJS, but im sure he will say something like. " we did an OJS and we wont do another just so you can try to drag it to make life easier" which of course would be right. LOL.

Just tell him to go re-read his spread sheets and to leave the dirty work to you. LOL!

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
in the last 18 months my stop count has gone from 135-145, where it had been for most of my 6 years on the route and 11 years of the guy before me, to 170-180 everyday. today it was 200 with an extra huge bulk stop that isnt mine. i called in sick mon and tues so i expected to get it hard but gimee a break. ( yes i was really sick. very, very sick) on the rare occasion that i call in over 9.5 or 10 i get a message saying that my numbers better be in line with OJS numbers. but they change the routes around so much, sometimes im doing a completley different route than what i was ojs'd doing. for instance when they cut routes during the summer, i get stuck with a split that has 4 hospitals, 2 schools and 2 medium office buildings, not to mention a pickup, that is anywhere from 20 to 60- 50lb boxes on the third floor ( with elevator and dock, but still, can only put 4 on 2wheeler at a time) they call THAT A SPLIT! our sup is just the most ruthless, inconsiderate jerk, we all hate him so much. last week i called in over 10, within an hour he was following me, spying on me, and taking pics. the best he came up with was that i didnt put a cone in back of the truck at a few stops. this past bid there were guys bidding out of the building just to get away from him. 20 year guys!! didnt even care where they were going just as long as they get away from him. im sure he looks great to UPS, but im so stressed out. i find myself ready to snap, sometimes even at customers. im being mean to people because im so upset all the time. sometimes ill even throw packages out of anger. i have grown to hate this job so much because of this guy. this is my 10th year driving and ive never been so miserable in my life.

If this supervisor is truly giving you more stress than you can handle, and you find yourself with zero options left, then post his name and location and he will be dealt with accordingly.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I've got a supe that is a big bully, as well. I have filed several harassment grievances on him and my center manager has finally taken notice, putting him in his place. Here's what you do. When the offender approaches you, announce in a loud voice that he/she needs to stop harassing you. This will draw onlookers who will witness this supes bullying ways. Loudly declare that you will no longer deal with that supe unless a shop steward is present. File grievances using article 37 "harassment, intimidation. Tell them that you fear for your life. I guarantee that this supe will stop bothering you.

DS

Fenderbender
Home stevetheupsguy ,in my opinion has given the best advice yet, you will have to take a stand.Not wanting confrontation is something you must overcome.Everybody is different and every location has their own unique way of dealing with things,only you know the real specifics.In my area those 30 extra stops they decided to up your stop count by would equal an extra hour and a half on the road,and you should demand a 3 day ride that is not determined by intimidation..One thing is for sure,if you keep your cool throughout this hell,take your breaks,call for help every day,it will eventually change.If I remember correctly the same thing happened to toonertoo a couple of years ago and she may have some insight about dealing with pressure.Hang in there.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have no insight, other than, they only yell in the morning, as someone said somewhere else on here, it is suppose to make you go faster when you are ticked off. I had a ride, several rides, they just tell me I need to go faster, they cant tell me exactlly what I am doing wrong yet, but I still need to be better, but cant tell me how.
So I just get there really late, and then I go to work.

I hear "you need to have a better day", I say "yeah I sure do".............and when are YOU going to ride with me and help me get things in line?
Pas could be a wonderful thing, for some reason it takes me 2 miles to make 2 stops at the beginning of the day, and 2 miles to do 2 more at the end. I of course do it when it makes sense, but it still doesnt make sense, it just makes the most sense of the crap they gave me.

I recently tried to talk to a sup about how it makes no sense and adds miles, while giving my close stuff to another driver who has to pull to deliver mine, this driver and I tried to talk to him and the response was "Well Ill just leave it all on you then" So since trying to give input, seems to be unwanted, I just ... Big sigh..... go deliver what they give me. Ive been 2 hrs late all week, but Im not the worst. And Ill be damned if I know why.
Snow up to the butt cheek, surely doesnt slow you down, people in the streets, water main breaks, and also SAFETY TIP of the day, I sent back after getting a Lift with you legs not with your back........."watch for falling gutters". If someone hadnt blown the horn (because I was blocking the road, because I have to walk to the back of the truck to make a delivery across the street, because Im to stupid to look left right left on a little piece of crap 2 lane street, and I have to park in the middle of the road and block traffic, where I will get side swiped, or get a union letter,if I dont) I would have had a gutter from a 3 story house full of ice crash on my little slow, stupid driver body. But everything they tell me to do or not to do, takes more time not less. So whatever Big Brown, when the stress is too much, I stop, look and listen. I have no control over slow customers, stupid people or weather, construction, police and fire activity, or any of the numerous things that can slow us down.
Am I slow, probably, I have 40 hrs in this week, Im tired, can they fire me for it? No. Not if I am doing all the silly things they tell me I have to do to be safe.
So Home, you have a long way to go.
Would I do it again? take this job, Heck no.
Should you stay, I would not. No kids yet, and a happy wife, get out. Ive got less to go than you, and wish I had left. You might make less for a while, but you might have a happy life, time with family, and actually see the children you want to have. The UPS of before was better than the UPS of now.

All Day

I feel the same way he OP does. This company is not what it was when I started. I don't understand why they treat us they way they way they do...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've had six or seven On Car Supervisors in the last two years, they get moved around a lot. Hopefully this Supervisor is ready to go somewhere else too. I can't even most of the names I have worked for over the years, most of them are long gone from UPS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I've had six or seven On Car Supervisors in the last two years, they get moved around a lot. Hopefully this Supervisor is ready to go somewhere else too. I can't even most of the names I have worked for over the years, most of them are long gone from UPS.
Yes we seem to outlast them although I doubt you have ever been the considered "slouch". But we all go through the same thing. we have had guys with exemplary attitudes and years of safe driving and service get letters for for silly things, and that is killing the last of the good people. You cant treat people like crap and expect a better result. Pretty soon you have a pool of people who really care about the service end of the job, irking customers, because of the stress, put on them unnecessarily. Its a viscious circle, I dont know what outcome they expect.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Let me add this.

I have had a ton of sups tell me they were going to fire me, because of this or that, and that I worked for them. When I politely pointed out that I worked for ups and not them, it seemed to agitate them more. But it is interesting to note that every one of them moved on, or got terminated, while the whole time, I kept working for UPS.

Again, do your job as best you can, be safe, and be honest. The rest will work itself out, I promise, unless you lose your cool and do something stupid.

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I developed the same attitude as tooner and just gave up trying to tell people who "know it all" that there was an error. My center manager came out with me this week and asked why I don't speak up about things that are wrong. I told him because I'm tired of wasting my breath. I've talked to them time and again, just to be shot down. I get to work as close as possible to start time, brown up and take off. I deliver my stops, make my commits, do all of my pick ups at near 100%, hardly have send agains and don't crash the pkg car. I don't think I can do a better job than this. Oh, and did I mention that the vast majority of my customers love me?:happy2:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

We used to have a preload sup who had an awful attitude toward the loaders and drivers. Always telling them how good they had it and how he could easily best them at their own job. He got the chance to go driving and did not even last one year. He skipped all breaks and lunch and went full tilt constantly and it became so difficult to keep the pace, he decided it would be easier to quit than to have to do the job correctly.