HELP!!!, ive never been so stressed, angry and miserable in my life!!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve is no Psychiatrist, he only plays one on Brown Cafe! :wink2:
I'm the BC Social Worker to dannyboys Psychiatrist.

Steve

Anyone that kills themselves has coping issues.

The problem is that for many people, their job is a serious issue to cope with. The job is responsible for paying the house payment, putting food on the table and clothing the kids. It pays for the car and the truck to get to work. The job is a huge part of our lives, and in many cases defines who the person is.

To have that threatened, or taken away, is a huge stressor, one that is very difficult to cope with. Couple that with a nagging wife who could care less, as long as the direct deposit is there every week, and kids who all have issues and needs, and the smaller issues now seem much larger.

Then you take an already stressfully, physically demanding job, one where you work 10-13 hours a day, give your best, and all you get in return is bs about how you laid down on the job?

Yes, there are days where some drivers need a kick in the pants to get their heads focused on the job. But to daily berate, belittle, besmirch, and bedevil a driver just because you are sadistic makes no sense. It instead is counter productive.

You get the same productivity from that driver as the Nazi's got from the prisoners in the camps, instead of encouragement, there is punishment. Threats instead of council.

People are right, we make more than the job is really worth, but what they dont see(or rarely see) is the head games and bs that people with too much time on their hands invent. With that extra love from management, no, drivers dont make enough.

Getting back to coping, people that kill themselves feel alone. They might have family, they might have lots of "friends", but they still feel alone. Add to that, the singling out by management of the driver for harassment and you have one of the most powerful tools to torture a person with. The feeling of being totally alone. And the sadistic manager thrives on exploiting that feeling of being alone and inadequate.

Ask anyone that has been a pow in the last 50 years what it feels like to be totally alone, with no hope of reprieve.

And that is when you have people that kill themselves.

Of course there are also times where a letter makes its way home to a spouse that is terminally ill, where the spouse kills themselves before they let ups discipline the other spouse for excessive time off to care for the sick one. In that case, IMHO, UPS was entirely to blame.

So please, dont make a blanket assumption that the person just lacks coping skills. They might very well have been dealing with more stressors that would have put others over the edge long ago. While UPS might not be the main cause, they do play a huge part in making the other stressors much larger than they need to be.

d
Didn't I just say this? I may not be one for the long posts with all of the eloquent points, but I think this is the exact point I made.

R.I.P. driver.

I imagine both the center manager and DM will be transferred. Not much way they can still be effective where they now are, everyone must hate them (deservedly).
I doubt it, though a promotion might be in line.:sad-little:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Steve

This post is not a put down or correction on any post you made.

Its that some people cope better than others, just like some people can be a ups driver while others cant.

Not being able to cope properly, and have the depth of support to be able to cope properly is a serious issue. Some are blessed to be able to handle the stress, others are not. Hopefully, we can help the ones that reach out for help before things happen. Before they end up doing things that will forever ruin lives.

And yes, there are times when UPS is very much at fault.

d

Cezanne

Steve

Its that some people cope better than others, just like some people can be a ups driver while others cant.

Not being able to cope properly, and have the depth of support to be able to cope properly is a serious issue. Some are blessed to be able to handle the stress, others are not. Hopefully, we can help the ones that reach out for help before things happen. Before they end up doing things that will forever ruin lives.

d
Let us count heads here, just how many of us have been through a unfair discharge through our careers? I am not talking about a clear cut dischargeable offense, but a change of past practice procedures that the company twisted around on a dishonesty or stealing time incident to teach a lesson. I had mine almost two decades ago and it is still fresh in my mind today. The most troubling aspect of the debacle is the lack of apparent accountability of the management participants, most of them where either transferred to another region to cause havoc or have quietly retired and living the life in florida with their fat pensions and MIP stock when it was worth something. I guess no harm or foul rule goes into effect, just playing games, just kidding, I really didn't mean to fire you mindset goes on unabated. The problem is the destroying effect that it has on the effected employee (hopelessness, and mistrust).

Pretty sure with any tragic sucide, it is not only one incident that makes an individual go down that path. But let us get real here, any job loss is a triggering factor that is as simple as pysch 101. Any time the company is involved in any mickey mouse discharge over work methods it is trying to destroy the employee involved and to say that it was not their fault is equalivent to the nazi concentration camps officers saying that they were just following orders.

Bottom line is that if you encounter any form of depression, please get help. We currently have good insurance and there appears to be good EAP program in effect. If you are frustrated, angry and without hope get professional services, do not expect any help from your fellow employees, most of them are in the same boat and probadly sicker than you.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Cz

Great post.

Or the ever so popularly vague failure to follow?

Getting help is the key, whether from family, friends, coworkers, and if it persists, professional help.

Just like an infection to your skin, left untreated, with additional exposure to the sewer, the results are inevitable

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Great posts, but I will say from my Limited :funny:experience, men do not like to seek help. Whether chemical or event driven depression, no one, especially men like to seek help. No one has a problem seeking help for an injury, a heart problem, a liver problem, a skin problem, the flu, a cold, baldness, or their back but they do have a problem seeking help for their brain, , the most important part of your body. So many people self medicate, when actually that probably makes it worse. Depression is real. It can be temporary, like after a death, divorce, sickness.
But it is all real, and sometimes does not go away. I am the last one to recommend meds, but there are times when they help. And not always do you have to stay on them. Sometimes we all need help over a hump. If you fear UPS will know about it, dont go through EAP, although they are confidential. Go on your own. It will get covered, If not there is no better investment than in yourself.

well, id like to clear some stuff up. while he was nasty and hostile during my OJS 8-10 months ago, this sup doesnt come and badger and attack me verbally persay, its really just the rediculous loads he gives me and his complete refusal to understand whether or not it is possible to do that much work in a reasonable 9.5 day. for instance, i just walked in my house at 10:20 pm. i only have about a 10 minute commute (dont be jealous). in other words i punched out at 10:05 pm and started at 8:45 am. why? routes were cut. and i got the hospitals (3) schools (3) office buildings and other commercials that i mentioned in my original post. i delivered over 100 pieces MORE than my average, and DOUBLED my normal mileage. i imagined that my center manager was with me all day and tried to do everything as "by the book" as possible. while I am a little nervous about what awaits me tommorow, after a 12hour+ day, i am confident that every second of my day was justified.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And that is all you can do. I find myself juggling numbers in my head and how I think it might show up on paper. Bottom line is, Im doing the best I can, as safe as I can, as quick as I can. It may not be pretty tomorrow, it usually isnt. But you know, and that is what counts. As hard as that is to believe, it is all that counts. Hang in there buddy!

pancamo88

abby_normal
I keep hearing this line, and it is only partially true. You can be fired for performance problems, as has been demonstrated by a union shop steward that is no longer working for ups. There was a whole thread here about that, and if interested, we can start a new thread.

But I believe what the guy was trying to say is that you cant be disciplined for performance as long as you work to the best of your ability, you listen to advice from management, and keep a decent attitude. Anything less can land you in the doghouse.

As far as the baby part, you can control that part of your life. It gets very expensive when you start having young ones.

The sup is playing head games.

The job at times is like playing poker. You cant let them see you crack, if you do let them see you crack, they will exploit that to the fullest.

UPS over the years has promoted some real sadists, people that enjoy making other peoples lives a total terror. Not that they really expect you to do much better on road, they just like messing with peoples minds.

You have to shut the games out of your head.

Do your job properly, to the best of your ability, keep your calm always. If you lose it at work, at best you wont have a job, at worst, your wife and kids wont have a husband or provider.

There have been tens if not hundreds of thousands that have gone through what you are going through. Always remember, this too shall pass.

Find some way to rid yourself of the aggression and tension if possible. A gym, ball game, video game, anything. Just leave it at work, dont bring it home.

Keep your chin up, you are one of the proud, the few, you are a good UPS'er.

YIMP

d

Sorry, I have a big problem with your remark about "having kids".
Think about what you're saying to this driver.
'Don't have kids and continue to keep up the good work, find a recreational activity and be proud that you work for a company that stresses you out'......nice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, I have a big problem with your remark about "having kids".
'Don't have kids and continue to keep up the good work, find a recreational activity and be proud that you work for a company that stresses you out'......nice.

How did you get that out of what Danny wrote? That is not what he was trying to say.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Up, dont know how they got that from what I wrote

I did think about what I said to the driver
'Don't have kids
I dont know what planet you are from, but here on earth, kids cost money, lots of money. Kids, and the more you have, the more it is true, are one of the largest expenditures you will have over your lifetime. More than a car, most houses etc.

The last thing that someone needs is to bring children into an already super stressful environment. It only adds to the levels of stress and adds additional problems that would not have to be faced if they were not there.

Of course, that is if you are a responsible parent. If you dont care about responsibility toward your children......

I pick up between 25-28 kids twice a week, sometimes three times a week depending on what gets scheduled. All but 4 are from very high risk families, ie one of the parents is in jail, the only parent is in jail, who knows who the other parent is, etc etc.

These kids did not ask to be brought into this type of situation. I wish you could see the issues they have to deal with because of parents with no responsibility toward the child or its welfare.
and continue to keep up the good work, find a recreational activity and be proud that you work for a company that stresses you out'......nice.

Obviously, you have your own point to make, so make it. As for what my point was, its simple math. You have a job that really sucks, bad enough that you really cant take it anymore. You really want to quit and go elsewhere, but where and how, because in this environment, jobs are hard to find.
But then of course, you could let the rest of us keep your kids up for you............

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Steve

d
Danny, it's funny that I should be reading this right now as I am out on disability at my request. I went to my sup last fri and asked for some time off, I couldn't handle work, for personal reasons. You are very right. Not everyone handles stress the same way. I usually have a very high tolerance for stress but not this time. This time I needed to take some time for me so I didn't make a serious mistake at work. So far my mistakes had only been minor ones but I couldn't take a chance that they would become major. I am fortunate enough to have a sup that is understanding and willingly gave me the time that I needed. It will take longer than a week to heal but at least I don't have to deal with this and deal with trying not to cause any damage at work. I learned along time ago to reach out for help but taking the first step is NOT easy. It never has been for me and never will be but I have a great network of friends. Thank you for your words. They help reinforce what I already know to be true.

SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got a nice talking to be the District Manager this morning adn, YUP, you guessed it, ANOTHER OJS TODAY !!!!!!!!! YAAYYYYYY

Im at home having lunch right now and preparing myself to keep it under 50 stops in the next 2.5 hours. when i saw him behind my truck this morning i flipped out and started scream ( not literally) harrasment, i went over to talk to my shop steward who gave me the old. "do your best, dont let him push you, do it by the book" when i got back to my truck the center manager was there asking me if I had a propblem and of course I did so I told him that it was BS that because of ne bad day where i was basically doing TWO routes i get a ride along. i forget what he even said. so before we left the building i told the sup. fine your with today whatever just be professional and spare me the attitude cuz i dont tneed it. he hasnt been too bad so far but i have a feeling that as we get closer to the end and he starts to see things turning in my favor, he'll turn up the heat. wish me luck!!

update: my OJS wasnt too bad today. of course it was a super easy day. he didnt get on my case too much at all. we did get into it at the end of the day when he got pissed that i drove around to the back of the building to unload clerk pkgs and airs. but thats what im supposed to do. his claim was that i could have parked the truck and carried the stuff in. i said to him " you just cant NOT be a d*ck, can you?" and when he started to reply, i yelled, "stop talking! i dont want to hear you anymore!!" we didnt say another peep to each other, i punched out and went home.
i think the numbers may come out a little bit on my side, fingers crossed.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
well, id like to clear some stuff up. while he was nasty and hostile during my OJS 8-10 months ago, this sup doesnt come and badger and attack me verbally persay, its really just the rediculous loads he gives me and his complete refusal to understand whether or not it is possible to do that much work in a reasonable 9.5 day. for instance, i just walked in my house at 10:20 pm. i only have about a 10 minute commute (dont be jealous). in other words i punched out at 10:05 pm and started at 8:45 am. why? routes were cut. and i got the hospitals (3) schools (3) office buildings and other commercials that i mentioned in my original post. i delivered over 100 pieces MORE than my average, and DOUBLED my normal mileage. i imagined that my center manager was with me all day and tried to do everything as "by the book" as possible. while I am a little nervous about what awaits me tommorow, after a 12hour+ day, i am confident that every second of my day was justified.

And that is all you can do. I find myself juggling numbers in my head and how I think it might show up on paper. Bottom line is, Im doing the best I can, as safe as I can, as quick as I can. It may not be pretty tomorrow, it usually isnt. But you know, and that is what counts. As hard as that is to believe, it is all that counts. Hang in there buddy!

update: my OJS wasnt too bad today. of course it was a super easy day. he didnt get on my case too much at all. we did get into it at the end of the day when he got pissed that i drove around to the back of the building to unload clerk pkgs and airs. but thats what im supposed to do. his claim was that i could have parked the truck and carried the stuff in. i said to him " you just cant NOT be a d*ck, can you?" and when he started to reply, i yelled, "stop talking! i dont want to hear you anymore!!" we didnt say another peep to each other, i punched out and went home.
i think the numbers may come out a little bit on my side, fingers crossed.
Hey, look at it this way. Your job isn't to be concerned about numbers, but to deliver pkgs, safely and at a good pace. No where does it say you have to run or even care about your boss's numbers. Do YOUR job and let them worry about THEIR numbers. If you resort to name calling, you're falling into their trap. Just get behind the wheel and be the Method Man/Woman. There is no such thing as over/under in your world. Just deliver the pkgs the best YOU can do and get home to your family.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Does anyone else smell the BS?

Posting about his OJS from his home computer while he is eating lunch at home???

When cows fly.

d

air1ups

Sorry to hear about your Stress!!! Try to remember it's their unrealstic numbers and you can not be disciplined for working or driving safely. Mention to the "spy" that your area needs a legitimate time study. Without one, it is their numbers not yours. I have been terminated 4 times in 5 months for failing to follow proper policies, methods and procedures. I am still working under Article 7. and have yet seen a day off! No I am not bragging......i have made it very clear that I have a rather exiensive notebook and if at anytime they wish know something about my day please ask. I have nothing to hide. I also take pictures of my perfect load all the time. Did I mention I am also a Steward? They are doing to you what they have done to me the last year and a half. Mine all started after filing 57 grievances. Don't be afraid, relax, and do the job using their methods!! Who acres what their production numbers say . On your next OJS ride if after you get direction from the person riding on how to do your job more effectively and efficiently........request that person to demonstrate your next 10 stops please and make sure you point out each and every method they skip or fsail to follow. I guarantee it will happen! make sure you document everything they do wrong if you can even get them to demonstrate. Also, There is nothing in the contract that says you must sign anything. So DON'T. Get a copy of everything they fill out on your behalf especially if you sign it!!!!!!! I could go on for hours but i will not. Good luck and remember relax and don't worry about unattainable goals that they themsleves can not accomplish. AND NEVER SKIP YOUR LUNCH OR BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Does anyone else smell the BS?

Posting about his OJS from his home computer while he is eating lunch at home???

When cows fly.

d
Why Danny? I've come home for lunch dragging a sup with me. There are times when I really do not understand your attitude. Are you going to tell me I am saying bullsh******* too?