HELP Job Abandonment

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If the sup touched me with his chest to mine the cops would be called and restraining order filed.

Think smarter not harder.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I been here 3 years, Im not new, it might be different for yall, but we only had 1 union rep in the building that night and he was best friends with my boss so it didn't help, and the whole smiling routine only works or so long, when someone is chest to chest with you screaming at you with spit flying out, it was either knock his ass out or leave, in my building anytime ive filed a grievance it never gets filed, anytime you file anything they take sides
When was the PT sup in your face chest to chest...outside on your break in front of your boss? I don't buy it. And in that situation...you back up and ask him to back up out of your personal space. Walking away to cool off is one thing...we're allowed to do that.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sorry....one more question. So, between the time of your meeting with your boss and steward...until you received your termination letter, did you contact your steward to see what was going on? Or you just went to work and management was being super nice, and you thought everything was cool?

You've been here 3 years....sups being nice should've been your first red flag!!

Z

ZQXC

A lady sup. touched my chest.....
I leaned in to her hand, for a while :blushing2:

Last edited by a moderator:

UPSGUY72

I had been on this belt 3 years taking :censored2:, anytime fights almost break out at work they move you to a different belt that the only reason I asked, it wasnt a "im offended you cursed at me" it was a fist fight situation

Telling us you been working at UPS for 3 years after telling us you walked off the job because you didn't want to work were your SUP told to to go doesn't really make a good impression.....

Ouch

Brownslave688, post: 1385194, member: 34439"]This is why all new employees should get to know their stewards and go to meetings.

You are under no obligation to call your sup. If he can't handle his job that's tough. You can't just walk out of work its that simple really.

Why would you ever discus stuff with a sup while on break? I would of went and done the job he told me to do and it would of backed up like he'd never seen before.[/quote]
Absolutely! Very good post. If only everybody would do this.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
You are in a world of hurt. You need to think before you act. Not easy thing to do when your young and being pressured by these a hole ups sup's I know. Best thing I can advise is file grievance and when you go to panel tell them how you realize you were wrong and love the job and want to work for ups ...name reasons why. Beg and plead for your job. It's your only hope.

acblessing

I appreciate all yalls input and I am not trying to be a jerk, Im just so confused and stressed, so I go into work tonight after getting the letter saying I am fired and they let me work....they 2 guys who wanted me fired are now saying they want me to stay and to fight the letter and file a grievance on them? wtf...here is the problem I didnt even know what a grievance was until year 2.....we dont have any type of training or knowledge on the union and the reps we had are clueless, I mena literally its like they just walked around with badges and said "who wants to be a rep?" My problem is that I didnt think of myself leaving as abandonment, I was trying to escape a situation of violence and everything yall say sounds easy "you should have stayed and filed a......"
In my building they dont help you they dont work like that and we have little knowledge on it, I told the rep to wait for me after work and he left and my other rep is on vacation. I didnt know walking out we cause all this and they are playing mind games lettting me work 2 weeks after the fact then sending me a letter then saying "o wait we want you to stay"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our stewards are in some instances racist, bigoted, sabotaging pieces of garbage. In the back pocket of management.
So tread carefully when dealing with them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I appreciate all yalls input and I am not trying to be a jerk, Im just so confused and stressed, so I go into work tonight after getting the letter saying I am fired and they let me work....they 2 guys who wanted me fired are now saying they want me to stay and to fight the letter and file a grievance on them? wtf...here is the problem I didnt even know what a grievance was until year 2.....we dont have any type of training or knowledge on the union and the reps we had are clueless, I mena literally its like they just walked around with badges and said "who wants to be a rep?" My problem is that I didnt think of myself leaving as abandonment, I was trying to escape a situation of violence and everything yall say sounds easy "you should have stayed and filed a......"
In my building they dont help you they dont work like that and we have little knowledge on it, I told the rep to wait for me after work and he left and my other rep is on vacation. I didnt know walking out we cause all this and they are playing mind games lettting me work 2 weeks after the fact then sending me a letter then saying "o wait we want you to stay"
You don't have your steward's phone number? You should.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
U need to contact your union hall immediately. This is not acceptable behavior for union representation.

Mack Grant

Two Fridays ago at work I was picking off (usually I am loading).
the belt was getting hammered and my supervisor said to call him if the Dothan truck was backing up,15 min before break boxes were piling up all the way down to the "L" where I was picking off, I kept calling my supervisor before and after the fact,finally he appears and says "ANDREW! Why the :censored2: didn't you call me" and then preceded to insult me etc. I said that I had called him 5 or 6 times. He denied that happening and said "You know what, I dont want you picking off for me ,after break grab a damn scanner and get in Dothan,and you better not let it get backed up". When break came around, I climbed down and went outside to talk to my boss (well he is the head of my side of the building) and I said "Br** I need you to move me to a different belt" (tensions had been building up for a while now) and he said smirking "How are you gonna tell me what to do? People gotta do stuff everyday they dont like" then my belt supervisor came outside and started bitching at me to go get into Dothan and saying dont let it get backed up and shouting. I stood there for a minute shocked my boss wouldn't defend me and walked out and went home. Yes it can be considered job abandonment, but weeks before a coworker got angry at me (were cool now) and threatened me in the parking lot I didnt say a word or antagonize him but I still got sent home from work because of it. That was my reasoning for leaving, the situation would have definitely escalated if I would have stayed and we could have gotten into a fight. I know the difference between yelling at work and being malicious. The next day I came in trying to get moved to a different belt,and I didn't want to have to file a grievance because Id rather take the high road. There was no human resource people there and I was recommended to talk to my boss from the night before, I said I tried already, but they insisted. So we found him and he said "whats to talk about your fired" so I said "Well I need to talk to my union rep"
Me the union rep and supervisor and boss sit down.
They said that they found out I was telling the truth about calling my supervisor. But none of that mattered because I left.

I brought out articles saying that a supervisor always has to treat and employee with respect etc.
they dismissed it and said none of that counts once you leave work and to give them my time card. The union rep who is longtime friends with my boss hardly stood up for me or took my side he just nodded along with my boss and said he wished he could of had this talk last night. I said my supervisor was too angry and we couldnt have and things would have escalated and that I got sent home before for just arguing so I didn't want to risk it. My boss shouted over me the WHOLE meeting and didnt let me get in a word edge wise. They said they were going to fire me and if I needed to file any grievances to do it soon but I shouldn't I should just quit but I could do work till termination. The meeting ended and I said I needed to talk to my union rep and my boss said not on my time. (the rep didnt wait for me after work)I worked that night and my supervisor apologized and said I could still work for him and from then till last night everything was cool. I worked about two weeks and my bosses were being super nice to me and asking if I wanted to do United Way this year (I took that as I wasn't fired because why would the ask a question about me giving money for a whole year) anyway I got a letter today saying I was fired for walking off the belt. I texted my supervisor and boss and said should I come in and they said yes. Then I mentioned the letter and they said "ooooo I guess not Im sorry how everything went down"

what should I do?
Bottom line is "you let them get to you" and you quit. Job abandonment is a cardinal sin at UPS and I never saw anyone return from it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Easiest way for them to get rid of someone as they don't have to fire you if you leave voluntarily.
If it's a case of workplace violence, and the union was notified, I'm going to say that the management team had a change of heart because such things can get back to Atlanta and/or a good attorney.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you didn't consider walking out as job abandonment..then why didn't you find your steward and ask your boss to go home?

acblessing

I wasn't talking to my supervisor on break
we have one guy who runs the whole building
then underneath him is two guys that run the east wall and the west wall
then underneath all of them are the supervisors, I talked to my east wall boss, he's the one who told me tough :censored2: on switching belts, I did go look for a steward there's was no one there he was on vacation, this is the thing y'all don't seem to understand, all of you have been working years and know all this information, you're not taking into account all of us young guys working here who I have never been taught or told any of this, there is no classes or meetings on it, I don't know the number,
I didn't even know you could have a steward present when signing write ups, they don't tell you this, basically two weeks before like I said me an employee got into an altercation he threatened me and I didn't say anything back me and him are cool now but I got sent home for two days because of it I didn't initiate the argument they were afraid we would fight at work, so when me and my supervisor are about to get into it this time it was worse in the only option I could see was leaving, I know all of y'all are super smart and have all these things you would have said and would have done and could have done, but after 3 years of the supervisor treating me like :censored2: I reach my boiling point, and all of you who are saying that oh it's tough you're not meant to work here,are full of it, I've worked my ass off for this company and all I want is some respect, and in the meeting they lied about me in my steward didn't take my side whatsoever and I deserve my job yes I should've left in hindsight but I left with 30 minutes left because my boss was threatening me and this was not a time were smiling would have helped because if we would have thought I would have lost my job most likely