HELP Job Abandonment

YellowSox

You don't have your steward's phone number? You should.
Surprisingly not a lot of ups part timers would. It's not like when new guys get trained in they get introduced to the union stewards or anything. It's all word of mouth. I'm surprised that some of you actually would think that these part timers would know anything in regards to the union at all. Most of the new guys just know that they are in a union and pay union does, and that's pretty much it. They have zero clue about their rights or what the union is for in most situations.

I blame that on both the company and the union for not making that part of the training newcomers should receive after they reach seniority. The people are having dues taken out of their checks every month and don't even have a clue what their union even does for them.

Everything at work is fine at some kid's pt job until 4 years in, sh@t goes down with them and pt/ft mngmnt. And of course you can see why they have no idea what to do or how to properly deal with the situation... Then some people act like it's the kid's fault for not knowing... Sheesh!

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Surprisingly not a lot of ups part timers would. It's not like when new guys get trained in they get introduced to the union stewards or anything. It's all word of mouth. I'm surprised that some of you actually would think that these part timers would know anything in regards to the union at all. Most of the new guys just know that they are in a union and pay union does, and that's pretty much it. They have zero clue about their rights or what the union is for in most situations.

I blame that on both the company and the union for not making that part of the training newcomers should receive after they reach seniority. The people are having dues taken out of their checks every month and don't even have a clue what their union even does for them.

Everything at work is fine at some kid's pt job until 4 years in, sh@t goes down with them and pt/ft mngmnt. And of course you can see why they have no idea what to do or how to properly deal with the situation... Then some people act like it's the kid's fault for not knowing... Sheesh!

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm a PTer.

acblessing

bleedinbrown58, thank you for understanding, the other issue I have is they said I violated article 52, job abandonment, but that term is not mentioned once in article 52 it also said before someone is fired you have to issue a warning, the only time you don't have to issue a warning is list of stuff that doesn't apply to me drugs etc.the words job abandonment is not in that article everyone on here seems to think you get fired for it but how can they fire you for something that's not in writing

UPSGUY72

bleedinbrown58, thank you for understanding, the other issue I have is they said I violated article 52, job abandonment, but that term is not mentioned once in article 52 it also said before someone is fired you have to issue a warning, the only time you don't have to issue a warning is list of stuff that doesn't apply to me drugs etc.the words job abandonment is not in that article everyone on here seems to think you get fired for it but how can they fire you for something that's not in writing

Article 52 is part of your area supplement / rider. Article 52 in other area of the country could cover a different subject.

TheKid99

When I was a mail carrier during our carrier class the NALC came in and talked to us for a half hour selling themselves.

And from day one I knew who my steward was and he is not afraid of management and management is not his friend matter of fact he despise them.

Here its a different story. I never even met the steward until I asked who is the steward at my hub and no union rep came to introduce themselves to us.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You had a meeting with your boss and steward 2 weeks before receiving a termination letter...wouldn't that meeting qualify as a warning?

BrownBrokeDown

I wasn't talking to my supervisor on break
we have one guy who runs the whole building
then underneath him is two guys that run the east wall and the west wall
then underneath all of them are the supervisors, I talked to my east wall boss, he's the one who told me tough :censored2: on switching belts, I did go look for a steward there's was no one there he was on vacation, this is the thing y'all don't seem to understand, all of you have been working years and know all this information, you're not taking into account all of us young guys working here who I have never been taught or told any of this, there is no classes or meetings on it, I don't know the number,
I didn't even know you could have a steward present when signing write ups, they don't tell you this, basically two weeks before like I said me an employee got into an altercation he threatened me and I didn't say anything back me and him are cool now but I got sent home for two days because of it I didn't initiate the argument they were afraid we would fight at work, so when me and my supervisor are about to get into it this time it was worse in the only option I could see was leaving, I know all of y'all are super smart and have all these things you would have said and would have done and could have done, but after 3 years of the supervisor treating me like :censored2: I reach my boiling point, and all of you who are saying that oh it's tough you're not meant to work here,are full of it, I've worked my ass off for this company and all I want is some respect, and in the meeting they lied about me in my steward didn't take my side whatsoever and I deserve my job yes I should've left in hindsight but I left with 30 minutes left because my boss was threatening me and this was not a time were smiling would have helped because if we would have thought I would have lost my job most likely
You say you have been here 3 years. I have been here 4 years in a week. When I started I made sure I got a union book, read it, and asked questions about anything I didn't know or understand. No classes here, was never approached by any steward, I had to go to them. It is your responsibility as an adult to find out the rules. Don't blame anyone else for not knowing them. Harsh...maybe, true...definately. I was only trying to give good advice to help. However, continuing to blame others because you didn't know the rules is crap. You keep mentioning how hard you work, UPS management couldn't give a rats ass when it comes down to it. Ask the thousands that have done it. Every one of them will be screwed by management at some point. Management don't care. You keep bringing up being sent home 2 weeks prior to this instance. Once again, you should have requested a steward. Your lack of knowledge in that area is your fault...not the unions...not management (they don't get paid to tell you your rights, and their job is easier/higher paying if you don't know them)...it's yours for not inquiring into your rights sooner.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You say you have been here 3 years. I have been here 4 years in a week. When I started I made sure I got a union book, read it, and asked questions about anything I didn't know or understand. No classes here, was never approached by any steward, I had to go to them. It is your responsibility as an adult to find out the rules. Don't blame anyone else for not knowing them. Harsh...maybe, true...definately. I was only trying to give good advice to help. However, continuing to blame others because you didn't know the rules is crap. You keep mentioning how hard you work, UPS management couldn't give a rats ass when it comes down to it. Ask the thousands that have done it. Every one of them will be screwed by management at some point. Management don't care. You keep bringing up being sent home 2 weeks prior to this instance. Once again, you should have requested a steward. Your lack of knowledge in that area is your fault...not the unions...not management (they don't get paid to tell you your rights, and their job is easier/higher paying if you don't know them)...it's yours for not inquiring into your rights sooner.
The OP said 2 weeks before he walked off...another employee supposedly threatened him and he said nothing back....but the OP was sent home. Yeah this guy is FOS.

BrownBrokeDown

The OP said 2 weeks before he walked off...another employee supposedly threatened him and he said nothing back....but the OP was sent home. Yeah this guy is FOS.
Now re-read what I wrote. There is no excuse for haveing 3 yrs in, and not knowing to call for a steward in that situation. That is the 1 fundamental rule of UPS. When in doubt, ask for a steward. What I said is that it is crap him TRYINT TO BLAME EVERYONE ELSE FOR NOT KNOWING THE RULES WHEN HE HAS BEEN HERE FOR 3+ YEARS. I will fully admit he got a raw deal the first time. He should have called for a union steward and he would not have got a raw deal, or least had a grievance.

It baffles me how you can be here 3+ years and not pickup up how you need to have a steward with you on all discipline issues. Also, walking out is GROUNDS FOR TERMINATION AT ANY JOB IN THE US.

acblessing

maybe because for 3 years I just was going to work to do my job this is really the first time I've ever got in trouble in most cases you only need the Union for these types of situations, but none of this :censored2: matters I got to keep my job and I'm actually not the one who got fired

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Now re-read what I wrote. There is no excuse for haveing 3 yrs in, and not knowing to call for a steward in that situation. That is the 1 fundamental rule of UPS. When in doubt, ask for a steward. What I said is that it is crap him TRYINT TO BLAME EVERYONE ELSE FOR NOT KNOWING THE RULES WHEN HE HAS BEEN HERE FOR 3+ YEARS. I will fully admit he got a raw deal the first time. He should have called for a union steward and he would not have got a raw deal, or least had a grievance.

It baffles me how you can be here 3+ years and not pickup up how you need to have a steward with you on all discipline issues. Also, walking out is GROUNDS FOR TERMINATION AT ANY JOB IN THE US.
I was calling the OP full of smilet not you.