help me drop weight please

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Based on my doctors BMI chart, I am supposed to weigh between 132 and 167. I am not, NOT, what you would call fat. I am not running a marathon any time soon but I doubt anyone would say I am overweight at all. I am about 5-11 and will never weigh even close to those guidelines. I was an RB in college with a mesomorph build.

Getting old is not for sissies...:angry:
Those charts are always waaay off.

Getting old? Add that to being a UPS guy, a Dad, A Husband.........:knockedout:

A

anonymous6

i agree with STUG. Those charts are way off. i think I read somewhere that the real measure of a healthy body id the fat % and your before and after exercise heartbeat rate.

a lot of skinny people drop dead after exercise because of a weak heart.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i agree with STUG. Those charts are way off. i think I read somewhere that the real measure of a healthy body id the fat % and your before and after exercise heartbeat rate.

a lot of skinny people drop dead after exercise because of a weak heart.
Or the weights dropping on their necks, LOL.:surprised:

Brown_Eyed_Girl

I thought I had the best work out going for me in the world and was getting paid to do it for three hours.

Only problem is while yes muscle has been built, the zipper on my fat suit has been stuck for a year and I can't get it off!

P

pickup

I lost weight recently over a three month period. I was floating around 200 (height 5 feet 11 inches) and tried exercising more to get down to 190 but was still stuck around that number(200) I started looking at the other side of the equation and looked at the side of the 20 ounce soda bottle. 250 calories a pop. I was drinking three a day - two of which were usually doctor pepper. I looked up that 3500 calories is equal to one pound of weight. I figured that no soda would mean 750 calories less a day and that would translate to about a pound and 1/2 a week.

Anyway, I found I still wanted a soda but when I walked to the machine or cooler, I went to a sprite or some other soda that I didn't really crave but would still hit the spot. So I went from three sodas a day to one a day. I weighed myself at the end of the week but didn't detect any change . I put the scale back under the sink and sort of gave up on my plan. I had written 190 on july 31 on the calendar when it was May 18 .I still drank only one soda a day and stopped weighing myself, "knowing" that 200 was gonna be my number for awhile.

Time went by and towards the end of June, my neighbor remarked that I was losing weight. I shrugged it off but wondered. When I got home, I pulled the scale out and weighed myself. I was 194. Hmm! Next day, I turned the calendar page and it was July and noticed the 190 I wrote on the box for July 31. I said to myself, "oh yeah, I remember that and realized I was on pace to hit that number". I continued with my soda plan and kind of made a point to walk a little more. I really didn't walk that much more but noticed how much easier it was to go up the stairs.

Well, July 31 came and I weighed 190. I had it in my head that 185 would be something to shoot for and I weighed 185 5 weeks later. I am a little afraid to move towards 180 because I don't want to dip into the upper 170s .

I just walked over to the scale and weighed myself, 185. 15 pounds lost and they are staying off. I have a mental barrier against going lower but if it went down to a buck 80 , I could live with that. Below that, I don't know.

I basically lost a pound a week. I tell those who asked what I did and they don't like the plan. They feel a diet should have them losing 5 pounds a week, minimum. My feelings are if you are overweight, you probably didn't get that way by 5 pound weekly increments but that it occurred more slowly. My weight is off and it is staying off because it happened so slowly that I feel I didn't deprive myself.

So that is my story. Take from it what you will. Perhaps , I should write "lottery winner" on december 31 and forget about it and see what happens.

Final note: I weighed myself with the same scale and just a pair of underwear on. I didn't want to weigh myself with other scales and wearing clothes and shoes that would differ from weigh to weigh and hence fudge the comparisons.

Adlar

Banned
Hi backinbrown,
Increase your water intake, drink green tea daily and avoid beverages, soda and even diet soda.
Break your meals in 5/6 small meal including snacks and eat slowly and chew food well.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Agree about the "diet" thing. I think that upping the amount of "output" (energy usage) vs altering nutrition (not dieting), results in a more solid plan of action at reducing waistlines and beating the diseases of aging. It HAS worked for me, and continues to do so.

oldngray

nowhere special
Changing diet is the most important thing for me. As you age you can't eat like you could when you were younger. I can exercise but if I don't watch what I eat I easily gain weight now. And I eat a lot less then I did when I was younger. Benefits of an aging metabolism :sick:. But you do have to exercise or your metabolism will slow down and resist you starving yourself.

cynic

I understand gaining weight following surgeries and I also work two jobs so any diet has to be idiot proof for me. I found a product at GNC called Almased that is vegetable based protein powder you mix with tomato juice (cold or warm - idiot proof) and you supplement between shakes with vegetable broth. Worked well for me and since you're already seeing a doc you could maybe ask about it.

Wow, I'd say keep away from P90X until you've quit smoking and gotten some aerobic exercise time in - I tried P90X too early after surgery and it's a challenge.

Cheap way to get around the bottled water vs. tap water are products like a Brita water pitcher or comparable. I'm not an expert on what's in the tap water but I do know I'm no fan of fluoride. (Don't you love the dentist's office wanting to give you/kids fluoride treatment?!?!)

It's a long journey but if it's really important to you I know you will make it. :grouphug: