help me drop weight please

moreluck

golden ticket member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOFchester
Just a quick update and a pat on my own back.....still smoke free after 2 months

Congrats! Next week will be 14 months for me, you can do it!

Almost 8 months for me and it's hard everyday, but so worth it.

DS

Fenderbender
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOFchester
Just a quick update and a pat on my own back.....still smoke free after 2 months

Almost 8 months for me and it's hard everyday, but so worth it.

I'm curious how you did it too kingOfchester, I'm trying too, but I'm copping out by letting myself have a few at night. I seem to be able to get through till 8:30 pm by chewing gum and refusing to give in all day.

more,after 8 months you still crave them? what magic words do you say to yourself to get over it? advice...sheer will power?
I want to quit totally.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm curious how you did it too kingOfchester,I'm trying too,but I'm copping out by letting myself have a few at night.I seem to be able to get through till 8:30 pm by chewing gum and refusing to give in all day.

more,after 8 months you still crave them? what magic words do you say to yourself to get over it? advice...sheer will power?
I want to quit totally.
DS, I do to.

moreluck

golden ticket member
DS. I distract myself for just a minute or two and the craving passes. For example, I put my coffee cup at the computer and I get an urge to light up, so I grab the cup and sit in my recliner and read the newspaper for a couple minutes.....the feeling passes.

I don't think the craving really ever goes away. If I smell second hand smoke, I inhale deeply !!:wink2:

kingOFchester

]

:woohoo::congrats:Good job!

Thanks!!

fethrs said:
We can keep track with each other and compare notes..whadya think
Sounds great! Take car of that knee.
pickup said:
How did you do it?
Cold turkey. I also kept myself a few smokes on top of the fridge. I said to myself I could smoke anytime I wanted to but if I did smoke I had to smoke one of those smokes. On each cig, I wrote a name of someone close to me that I wanted to be around for. Whenever I had an urge, I would think of those people and my reasons for not smoking. Corny I know...but it is working.

upsdude said:
14 months for me
WOW great job!!!

moreluck said:
Great job!!

Another trick is a mind game. When I get the urge, I tell myself "dude.....you can have a smoke at any point.......just wait the urge out and see if you HAVE to have that smoke." Funny thing is after a few minutes my mind is on to something else and the urge passes. I consider myself smoke free and if I take one inhale, then I am a smoker again and it will take a lot to get back to where I am now today...a NON-SMOKER!

One method that works pretty well for some people, when you feel the urge, close you eyes and pretend you are taking a puff and inhale deeply clean air, hold it for a couple of seconds and blow out as if you were actually smoking. That was a tip from an hypnotherapist.
BTW, I was quit for 9 months and a long story to tell why I started again, I will spare y'all the details. What it boils down to was a personal weakness.

Congratulations to all that have stopped, keep up the great work.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thats great man...did you quit beer?
I mean 154 is not fat unless your a little person

Thanks. I'm right around 5'10 143. Grand total: Dropped from 167 to 143 in 1 year. Drink occasionally but not a big drinker or smoker. (10 years ago different story)

The only thing I changed was diet improvements. I don't eat anything unhealthy except a peice of chocolate and a bowl of ice cream a month.

To quit smoking:

My suggestion - slowly cut down until you do not smoke anymore. Fight off the urges whenever you can. The drive to work, at work, lunches, breaks....at home, learn how not to smoke if not just for that urge or instance one cigarette at a time.

The distraction idea is a great one. instead of smoking a cigarette, grab a quick snack to eat. or a popsicle, or lollipop. they should help with the hand-to-mouth habit which is part of the addiction.

Eventually you will be down to 3-5 a day from a pack or wherever you are at and not even realize it.

Make smoking a cigarette a treat rather than a habit. Reward yourself with a smoke. It's as much mental as it is physical, obviously.

Also another good way to quit smoking at home - keep your wife or SO( if applicable) in charge of your cigarettes. What I did was gave them to my fiance and told her to never give me one when I'm home. Never smoked much at home anyway, maybe once or twice a week. It was really the ONLY time I didn't smoke, only smoke at work! but I learned to not smoke at home at all because they aren't available anymore plain and simple! If you can't control it, have someone else control it for you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thats great man...did you quit beer?
I mean 154 is not fat unless your a little person
Quitting beer is a great way to lose weight. If I was so inclined to quit drinking beer I could probably lose 20/30 lbs that I should lose. :surprised:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, are you a girl? You're kinda light, weight wise, for a guy, at 5'10". Are you a runner or sports freak? Just curious.

im neither a runner or sports freak. do yoga and lift weight in moderation. also working in the building at UPS keeps me going , as well as playing and practicing drums 2-3 hours a day.

my father is 60+ and a long distance runner (qualifies and runs the Boston marathon among many others) which im sure you can relate to- and as you know you can't have much of any excess fat to be a successful runner at that age with the body generally slowing down. he's around 5'9 145 also

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Quitting beer is a great way to lose weight. If I was so inclined to quit drinking beer I could probably lose 20/30 lbs that I should lose. :surprised:

It depends. If you exercise regularly and have a normal metabolism, and aren't past say 50-60 years old, there should be no issue with the carlories and carbs from drinking beer or anything else. If you don't do much , differnet story

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It depends. If you exercise regularly and have a normal metabolism, and aren't past say 50-60 years old, there should be no issue with the carlories and carbs from drinking beer or anything else. If you don't do much , differnet story
Well I work 5 days a week, 9-10 hrs a day, have a normal metabolism (I think), and am not over 50 quite yet and have stayed at the weight I am at right now for a few years. I am ok with it. :happy-very:

UnloaderAM

Just a quick update and a pat on my own back.....still smoke free after 2 months or more and lost about 10lbs. But I lost more then 10lbs of fat as I have been going to the gym 5 days a week. So congrats to me!!!

Congratulations!! Does anyone know if backinbrown has an update for us? I only ask since he did start the thread and because I am curious to see his progress.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
im neither a runner or sports freak. do yoga and lift weight in moderation. also working in the building at UPS keeps me going , as well as playing and practicing drums 2-3 hours a day.

my father is 60+ and a long distance runner (qualifies and runs the Boston marathon among many others) which im sure you can relate to- and as you know you can't have much of any excess fat to be a successful runner at that age with the body generally slowing down. he's around 5'9 145 also
Good for you, Sleeve! You 're right, a runner needs to be thin, and I am far from thin, LOL. I'm 5'9" and between 175 and 180lbs. My problem is that, though I love to run and want to be way fast, I also want to have a nice built body. Body builder/Track star is something I've never heard of, LOL. I'm thinking about giving in to my running side and trimming down, so's I can smoke some of the people I compete against.

My wife has the biggest problem with this, as the divorce papers will be waiting, if I drop to under 160lbs.:happy2:

Congratulations!! Does anyone know if backinbrown has an update for us? I only ask since he did start the thread and because I am curious to see his progress.
I'd like to hear an update, as well.