Help me! I'm too slow working the inbound.

P

pgraening

I'm terribly worried. I'm halfway through my pre-seniority period and I'm still only getting 800-900 packages an hour unloaded. Granted, I'm not in shape, but the minimum performance requirement is 1300. Any tips and/or tricks that can help me get a better count are highly appreciated.

And yes, I realize that not meeting expectations can mean not getting seniority and not keeping my job, and, unlike some of the other people I work with, I like my job for the people and the work, not the money. I already talked to my super about this, and he was very sympathetic - so, before you guys bash my supervisor, he is a nice guy, so go easy on him.

In then end, working at UPS has been rewarding in many, many good ways for me. And I want to stay here.

P

proups

First, get in shape! If you put forth more effort, the job will do that for you.

I started out loading, and it wasn't until after about two weeks that I finally "got it" and was able to load 600+ PPH and keep the chute clean. I was loading two 40 foot drop frames a night. My sup wanted to see if I could cut it - and I wasn't about to let that beat me.

It's all about attitude. If you think you can do it, you can! Good luck.

T

tieguy

In a perfect world you would unload a 160 foot trailer in 4 hours and never have to leave the trailer. All packages would be the same size and there would be no irregs. Three key methods i found to be a big help are:
1) Minimize walk time in and out of the trailer. consolidate trips to remove irregs and retrieve tote boxes.
2) push the package far enough to make room for the next package but no further. Too many new unloaders push the packages way too far. All they end up doing is wasting time and burning excess energy.
3)The preselection process. knowing what package you will grab next. top down , middle out. As you learn to use your eyes and keep a smooth flow going by preselecting well your unload rate will improve. Its not about working harder but smarter.

P

pgraening

The irreg/tote boxes tip sounds good... and that would work with bags, too. Thanks for that. As for pushing, I have learned how to use the weight of the package to my advantage - you really do waste energy if you push them too hard or too much.

And, a few weeks ago, I had a flare-up of tendonitis, but it wasn't job-related. Just recovering from that injury has made me focus on making my methods better, and not only has it made me safer, but it's helped me speed up some.

The most important thing all the management has told me, and I don't know if it makes a huge difference, but they have said my attitude and attendance are excellent, and that as long as I show improvement, even if I'm somewhat shy of the (I was wrong, it's actually) 1200 pph, and still show signs of growth, then I will probably make it into seniority.

Add to that, the turnover rate is pretty high at our facility, with the average new hire, at least, in the inbound, lasting about a week, and deciding that it isn't worth the money. But I took this job for a challenge, not for the money, and I think that attitude helps me a lot.

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">One of the most important things I can bring up about unloading based on my experiences is NEVER go as fast as you can! Trust me. Just concentrate on standing at a 45 degree angle while facing the load you are unloading. This keeps you from turning and bending as much. Also drink plenty of water before during and aftr the sort. If you concentrate on those three things (combined with anyting else you are taught) the speed and ease that you unload at will basically improve based on muscle memory. The muscles involved in unloading will start getting used to the work and the repitition and you'll speed up without even realizing it. When I started unloading my only problem was dehydration and my sups never even knew about it until a few days later when I told them and they actually suggested pacing myself and worry more about drinking water. </font>

P

pretender

Great tips--Especially standing at a 45 degree angle. You will be amazed at how much easier it will be. Also, preselecting your next package is a tip that I still use today, 30 years later, as a driver. Using these two tips will help you develop a rhythm. Finally, I used to freeze water in a gallon milk jug, and take it to work with me.

A

antimatter

Let the box do the work for you.

Don't stress to much. We have trouble finding anyone that stays in the unload (according to the part-time sups out here in my building on the West Coast). If you show up on time and do a good job, they will probably keep you.

My first sup told me "If you are honest, show up on time and do a good job, you'll have a job here as long as you want it."
How true it is.

A

P

pgraening

I'm going to complain about one thing on here, if there are any loaders on the board, I'm sorry.

Some of the loads I've had to work are terrible. Last night I had a 105-lb package UNDER a rear flap, while the nose had been mostly empty and the shelves completely empty. I had a chance to watch our loaders and they never do anything like that.

Add to that, we get those annoying 50-70lb boxes of screws, and they're ALWAYS under the flaps. Always.

Someone needs to get the idea that good loading means faster unloading and equals higher productivity.

M

mr_roboto

pgraining...too bad mr roboto is not your clerk! if over 70's are loaded on the floor of feeders in my center i raise a fit. no problems like that will last in my center. notify your clerk of each such instance. it is up to your clerk to file the proper papers to raise the awareness of the offending party.

P

pgraening

There's actually official action that can be taken about o-70's?

T

tieguy

With scanning technology we can actually tell who loaded it and get back to that person. How does mr reboto get the info back to the orgin sort?

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Our people on my sort have at least SOME intelligence and don't load anything over 70 pounds under the flaps. As far as load quality goes...I've noticed that the trailers loaded at hubs are usually the worst. Lack of good training or training at all is why that happens and also those guys are all usually loading 3 or 4 trailers by themselves while people where I work have it easy and load one. The hub loaders don't always have time to make good loads but it is possible.</font>

R

rushfan

1) Look Sharp, Don't get cut.
2) Keep Your eyes ahead of your work.

I don't know how I was able to get the job done, but I must have used the methods. Learn the ups methods, and "phraseology". i.e.
"All Good Kids Like Milk"
(If you don't know, that applies to drivers)
Here's another good one:
HABITS

M

mr_roboto

and don't forget DEN...don't touch/evacuate the area/notify your supervisor (or in my center >> the clerk)

pgraening ..once i punch in...everything is official!
and thanks for the information concerning my upser.com registration.
i'm in!

tieguy..every morning i complete a feeder load quality audit and submit that report to my supervisor. any problems relating to load quality, or even the physical condition of the trailer itself are noted. any problem that may persist is followed up with a phonecall by my supervisor to the load/sort supervisor at the other end (with mr_roboto watching over my supervisor's shoulder).

mornings run very smoothly at my center!

L

local804

Pgraening,
Sounds like you have a very good attitude towards work. Speak with the supervisor and ask him what you can to to get the job done quicker.One of his jobs is to train you the right way so you dont have any problems down the road. If you are as gung ho for the job as your post seems, I dont think you will have a problem.
Good Luck
LETS GO YANKEES!!!!!

T

tieguy

I think he already has his answer. The guy is real concerned about doing a good job. He wants to stay and enjoy what UPS has to offer. He'll do fine. PG after you get your thirty days become involved with employee retention. Help those that are struggling through their first 30 days get through it. This in turn will help your operation and make your job easier. Good Luck

U

ups_vette

480:
It's not the number of trailors a person loads that determines his capibility. It's the number of packages going into that trailor every hour that determins it.

Rule of thumb is one person has the capibility of loading 600 packages per hour. If the trailor gets around 600 packages an hour, then one skilled loader has the ability to load by themself. If there are more than that per hour, that person requires help. If there is less than that, the loader has the ability to load additional trailors, with the time required to walk to and from the additional trailor(s) reducing the capibility from 600 per hour. That number depends on how any additional trailors need to be loaded. Three trailors require more time than two, foure requiire more time than three, etc., due to the amount of time needed to walk back and forth.

I hope this gives you some understanding of work assignments. Your local I.E. rep can give you a more indepth view of your particular situation.

P

parttimejon

these are all great ideas. But the truth is you just load as fast as possible without overexerting yourself. There aren't any production clauses in the contract. although there are some to be hired. don't worry about being the fastest just do a good job and you'll be fine. i loaded for 5 years and its really not that bad a job but it can get very annoying sometimes. good luck

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">The "numbers issue" is probably why so many people have so much trouble with loading. These assessments are based on a select few people that were tested by being fed a certain number of packages (600?) and the results were based on those people. There are thousands of loaders out there and not all of them are going to do exactly the same job as the people that the numbers were based on without proper training. Yes, it is possible to keep up with the numbers stated but regardless...there is still a lack of good training at allot of UPSs even though there has been efforts to improve it over the past few years. I see too many programs that have fancy names and acronyms and involve fancy "training booklets" but the actual physical training is usually a sup or "trainer" going up into a trailer for 5 minutes and then leaving them alone for the rest of the night. This goes on for a couple of days and the packet is filled out by the sup and then that's all she wrote. That's not enough.</font>

(Message edited by upslocal480 on August 25, 2003)

F

fups

i mean come on!!!! how hard is it to UNload a truck..... that's a cake walk,but i don't like doing it , i'd rather load. Just grab a package and throw it on the belt... i mean place it on the belt! No skill there. Kick all that other crap off to the side ( irregs and smalls ) till you're done with that trailer, then do whatever Ya'll do with the irregs and smalls ...do that, then on to the next trailer.

Does everyone have training Sups in their hubs??? thats the dumbest **** i've ever heard of!!!! UPS needs to find something else to throw their money away on...