Help please....

I'll try to help you out.
I started in February 2008... didn't get any vacation all year long.
Booked my 2 weeks vacation for August 2009.

But, that doesn't answer your question really.
Here, with 2 weeks vacation per year (low seniority), you get 4% of your earnings towards vacation pay, every week (and it shows on your paystub- and adds up as you go)

i.E : you earn $1000 per week. $40 goes towards vacation pay.
The week after it will show $80.00 (total vacation pay on pay stub).

Ofcourse $40 X 52 weeks = your vacation pay for the year = $2080 (2 weeks).

Now, for the first year I worked.. from Feb - Janaury, I didn't get a pay out. But, it was all added on to my total vacation pay.
So, then in 2009 (the first eligable year).. you make good on it.
(more vacation pay, then if you worked it). Or you can tell payroll to pay you out in February , for the vacation pay earned within the first year.

Thats how it works here, should be the same in the USA.

That was help?

tieguy

Banned
The number of weeks is not the question.... the question is:

Is the vacation you take in 2009 EARNED in 2009

OR

Is the vacation you take in 2009 actually EARNED in 2008 and you are eligible to take it after January 2009 ?

You have to work into 2010 to get any vacations you acrue in 2009. Barring special supplemental language you can't get paid or use any vacations you acrue in 2009 in the same year.

Camping Nana

You have to work into 2010 to get any vacations you acrue in 2009. Barring special supplemental language you can't get paid or use any vacations you acrue in 2009 in the same year.

Tieguy - tell me as a management person - you wouldn't receive the accrued vacation from January - September, if you retired in the middle of the year?

So - if this is true..... why is there any formula for accrued, "pro-rated vacation" in the contract? It should be listed as:

After 1 year of service 2 weeks
After 3 years of service 3 weeks
After 10 years of service 4 weeks
Etc - etc.

The contract does list it as such (with a little more "legal" language. But then goes on to state:

After three (3) years of employment and up to ten (10) years of
employment prorated vacation shall be granted on the basis of one
and one quarter (1 1/4) days for each month of employment.

After ten (10) years of employment, prorated vacation shall be
granted on the basis of one and two thirds (1 2/3) days for each
month of employment.

After twenty (20) years of employment, prorated vacations shall be
granted on the basis of two (2) days and two thirds (2/3) of one (1)
hour for each month of employment.

After twenty-five (25) years of employment, prorated vacations
shall be granted on the basis of two and one half (2 1/2) days for
each month of employment.

After thirty (30) years of employment prorated vacations shall be
granted on the basis of 2.91667 days for each month of employment

rod

Retired 22 years
Some get paid for their earned vacation as they should (if they protest enough)-(and to the right people). Those that don't bitch will get screwed everytime. Every dime they can save getting you out the door is a feather in their war bonnet.:wink2:

Camping Nana

Some get paid for their earned vacation as they should (if they protest enough)-(and to the right people). Those that don't bitch will get screwed everytime. Every dime they can save getting you out the door is a feather in their war bonnet.:wink2:

Okay - so who is the "right people" to protest to?

rod

Retired 22 years
Question everyone- Union and company. This is a real foggy area that no one seems to be able to clarify. Wish I could be more help but its something everyone who retires faces and I know some get it and some don't.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
While this will not totally answer your question I do remember that I, as a lot of others, started as PT. As such I accrued only 20 hrs per vac week, rather than the 45 hrs I do now. When I later became a driver, I asked about my vac hours and was told that they would show up as a payoff on my next paycheck (I got no actual time off that first driving year after leaving the car wash crew) and that I had to start over at driver rate accruing all over again.

This was supposedly because of the drastic pay rate difference. They would not give me 2-3 weks of at full time wage and hours that were earned at the lower rate and hours. If I were going to claim those hours, in my case, I would just go back to when I went full time, not when first I started working PT.

I do believe that if you can prove the hours are owed to you, that you should be entitled to current rate, because all vac is earned at the previous years rate and paid at the current years rate.

old levi's

blank space
The BIG surprise around here is that not only is it NOT automatic - but you have to file a grievance and even your shop steward and BA tell you that you aren't going to get it because you can't prove that you didn't take any vacation the first year you were employed! "UPS records don't go back that far..." :biting:

Give me a break - who keeps their check stubs after 20 years (or more)...

If the money is that important to you, work one week of the upcoming year then schedule all weeks of vacation earned the preceding year and retire at the end of that period. Then you will only lose one weeks worth of prorated vacation earned. Or, you could just be thankful that you are able to retire while you are still alive.

Camping Nana

If the money is that important to you, work one week of the upcoming year then schedule all weeks of vacation earned the preceding year and retire at the end of that period. Then you will only lose one weeks worth of prorated vacation earned. Or, you could just be thankful that you are able to retire while you are still alive.

I am VERY thankful we were able to retire at an age young enough to enjoy it and have our health!

The money is not the issue! It is the principal of the thing.

brownrodster

This was supposedly because of the drastic pay rate difference. They would not give me 2-3 weks of at full time wage and hours that were earned at the lower rate and hours. If I were going to claim those hours, in my case, I would just go back to when I went full time, not when first I started working PT.

My last year of PT I scheduled 3 weeks of vacation for November. I became a driver that summer. I was cashed out for those 3 weeks of vacation at driver wage. I mentioned it to my center manager and steward and each basically told me to take the money and run because it might be a mistake... It's been many years an UPS never asked for any money back. They were full 45 hour driver weeks I was paid for and not the 20 hour pt weeks.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The BIG surprise around here is that not only is it NOT automatic - but you have to file a grievance and even your shop steward and BA tell you that you aren't going to get it because you can't prove that you didn't take any vacation the first year you were employed! "UPS records don't go back that far..." :biting:

Give me a break - who keeps their check stubs after 20 years (or more)...

not to be a wiseass, but I did,..:surprised:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My last year of PT I scheduled 3 weeks of vacation for November. I became a driver that summer. I was cashed out for those 3 weeks of vacation at driver wage. I mentioned it to my center manager and steward and each basically told me to take the money and run because it might be a mistake... It's been many years an UPS never asked for any money back. They were full 45 hour driver weeks I was paid for and not the 20 hour pt weeks.

Absolutely a mistake. As most people know, (and I guess you do) when you go from PT to FT your vacation hours SHOULD be cashed in at PT and you wait until next pick to get FT weeks.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So are you telling me that the vacation you take in 2009 was not accrued and earned in 2008?

Doesn't the following paragraph from the rider indicate that vacation is accrued each year?

"After ten (10) years of employment, prorated vacation shall be
granted on the basis of one and two thirds (1 2/3) days
for each
month of employment.
"

When does your regions hourlies pick vacations by contract?

In our conference, our vaca weeks are determined by how many reports we have the year before. Once you have 156 reports you have earned all of your vaca weeks allotted for the following year based on the number of years with the company. Even if you don't work another day after #156, you get them all. If you have less than the 156 the weeks you get are pro-rated (I have no idea what the formula is). I only had between 70-80 reports for this year and qualified for three weeks for next year. If I get retired before the end of the year I will still get those three weeks of vaca pay automatically.

Hangingon

After twenty-five (25) years of employment, prorated vacations
shall be granted on the basis of two and one half (2 1/2) days for
each month of employment.

After thirty (30) years of employment prorated vacations shall be
granted on the basis of 2.91667 days for each month of employment

Does this mean you get an additional week after 30 years? Ours maxes out at 25 years.

6 weeks vacation, 1 week of optionals, and 1 week sick.

Last edited: