Help with Scratch

Whitetail3183

I completed driving school in June . Started driving mid July. I drove 1/2 of July and all of August . Met with my sup every morning .. he always says doing great , progressing as I should etc etc .
One day I ran into the center manager and he brought up scratch - I made it 3 days but missed one ( torrential downpours that day) so I had to start over . I cannot hit my 5 days .
Ive been assigned a route where I know the roads like the back of my hand . I do not take lunch , do not take breaks and run like a nut all day long . Im always done 30 mins - 1hour before the end time it tells me . I’ve had my ride alongs and the sup told me if I didn’t make scratch that day he didnt even know what to say I could do different . That day it said I was an hour late .
Finally last week they told me they found an issue and rather than paying me for time worked I was being paid 8 hour guarantee and it was screwing up my scratch times . Ex. Previous Friday I clocked out at 3:30.. due to 8 hour thing it had me at 5:30. They said they cannot fix it because I’ve already been paid for the time . They’re extending me 15 days to qualify and make scratch .
Im panicking . I have had maybe 5 days total in 30 days that I even worked 8 hours . Has anyone heard of this ? I talked to my union steward but haven’t heard back yet .

allahuakbar

She/Her
Tell them to either hire you/offer you a job or you’re leaving before Peak. Don’t let these guys wave a job infront of your face and hold you hostage till after peak. There’s plenty of jobs out there right now.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I completed driving school in June . Started driving mid July. I drove 1/2 of July and all of August . Met with my sup every morning .. he always says doing great , progressing as I should etc etc .
One day I ran into the center manager and he brought up scratch - I made it 3 days but missed one ( torrential downpours that day) so I had to start over . I cannot hit my 5 days .
Ive been assigned a route where I know the roads like the back of my hand . I do not take lunch , do not take breaks and run like a nut all day long . Im always done 30 mins - 1hour before the end time it tells me . I’ve had my ride alongs and the sup told me if I didn’t make scratch that day he didnt even know what to say I could do different . That day it said I was an hour late .
Finally last week they told me they found an issue and rather than paying me for time worked I was being paid 8 hour guarantee and it was screwing up my scratch times . Ex. Previous Friday I clocked out at 3:30.. due to 8 hour thing it had me at 5:30. They said they cannot fix it because I’ve already been paid for the time . They’re extending me 15 days to qualify and make scratch .
Im panicking . I have had maybe 5 days total in 30 days that I even worked 8 hours . Has anyone heard of this ? I talked to my union steward but haven’t heard back yet .
If you are doing everything they ask of you and they are attempting to extend you I would have advised you to not take the extension. The way the job market is currently the company can’t find an abundance of people that truly strive to do “a good job”. Since you’ve already spoken to your steward you should attempt to follow their advise, however I’d be clear to the steward of any concerns you may have. Eventually you have to call the companies bluff. The company likes to string along people that truly want or need the job. They love to “dangle the carrot”. Your management team more than likely knows the chances of you leaving are slim to none and they probably have other drivers that they are less sure of them sticking around. It’s all about your management team setting themselves up to have the staffing in place for peak season. Were you a seniority part time member prior to going to driving school?

Last edited:

nWo

Take your lunch and breaks. If you don't want to sit for 10 minutes. Then code out your break when you piss or when you are sorting your truck or when you are BSing with a customer.

If you are clocking out at 330 they probably aren't giving you enough work . And I don't think the 8 hour guarantee is messing with your scratch time. Whoever told you that is probably wrong.

Take your lunch and breaks. If you don't want to sit for 10 minutes. Then code out your break when you piss or when you are sorting your truck or when you are BSing with a customer.

If you are clocking out at 330 they probably aren't giving you enough work . And I don't think the 8 hour guarantee is messing with your scratch time. Whoever told you that is probably wrong.
You're over undergoes by paid hours

BrownSnowFlake

They're using you for cheap labor and to cover vacations. The number of drivers they qualify depends on their long-term staffing needs and how many people are retiring this year. This is how the company operates and nobody has the stones to say it out loud. Just do your best and if you don't get it try again next time a bid sheet goes up. Or not, there are plenty of other jobs out there.