Helper fun has started

tourists24

Well our center has a new way of dispatching the helpers this year...... in previous years we have had a person come to our center to specifically handle everything (hours, phone calls, meet points, etc...).

Not this year... we have designated an on car sup to use the computer to calculate who gets a helper and exactly how long they get them. No questions asked.... Today was my first day.... I was told "you get a helper for 2 hours, no more. Need a meet point for 11am". I told them it was a waste of time but didnt matter. So I broke off to both pick up and take him back to meet point..... Clock out time 9:30pm.....

Should be an interesting holiday season

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have only had a one day so far, I was told to use him "2.99 Hours and not a second more". I never have understood the .99 part, what diference does another minute make. Its not really worth it to use one for that amount of time, Helper wasn't pleased either.

YesYouDidPushAButton

lol. Yeah I had one already. My route runs 130-150 stops per day. I had 179 the other day, I got a helper (in the middle of my businesses) for 1.99 hours at 11 am that I had to drive out and pickup. Than I have some 1:30 pickups I had to do (still dont need helper) they told me to punch him out and he's to sit in the truck while I make pickups and can bring him back. lol They're like, you didnt make 9.5 ?!??!! You had a helper ! Unacceptable!

"We dont pay helpers to sit while you do pickups !"

iruhnman630

....they told me to punch him out and he's to sit in the truck while I make pickups and can bring him back.
Oh HELL No! No way would I put up with making a helper sit on the car unpaid. Not without a steward involved.

"We dont pay helpers to sit while you do pickups !"
Then maybe they should listen to us when we say having a helper will result in a net loss of time, once meet points are made and breaking off to get the helper off the car before 'not a second more.'

I expect to be dealing with this nonsense on 2 of the routes I will be covering this peak season. Same bs every year.

They make me take a helper on country routes, which is pointless, plus I lose 30-45 minutes picking up and returning the helper to the meet point.

iruhnman630

I have only had a one day so far, I was told to use him "2.99 Hours and not a second more". I never have understood the .99 part, what diference does another minute make. Its not really worth it to use one for that amount of time, Helper wasn't pleased either.
Going over the 'x.99' limit changes your allowance for the planned day. That makes the screen gazers in i.e. unhappy.

iruhnman630

Back to that 'make the helper punch out and sit in the car' thing....

...correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a big no-no regarding insurance liability.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well our center has a new way of dispatching the helpers this year...... in previous years we have had a person come to our center to specifically handle everything (hours, phone calls, meet points, etc...).

Not this year... we have designated an on car sup to use the computer to calculate who gets a helper and exactly how long they get them. No questions asked.... Today was my first day.... I was told "you get a helper for 2 hours, no more. Need a meet point for 11am". I told them it was a waste of time but didnt matter. So I broke off to both pick up and take him back to meet point..... Clock out time 9:30pm.....

We at least have a say in what time we get our jumpers. Sounds like LOGISTICS. :dissapointed:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This won't last long once $hiiit hits the fan you'll be told keep as long as necessary.

Buck Fifty

All they are doing is running their matrix. Just throwing it up against the wall to see how much will stick.

Example : Had a driver go out in a p700 with 273 stops. Told to keep his helper 3 hrs. He did this and at 745 3 other drivers had to go bail the matrix (mgmt) out. Nothing stuck in this example.

Tiny Panda

What do you have your helpers do? Having one this year here in the UK but my center manager doesnt know if he'll be with my doing the running or being dropped with a trolley full of parcels to walk round a housing estate

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Back to that 'make the helper punch out and sit in the car' thing....

...correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a big no-no regarding insurance liability.
Bigger than that, it's a small thing called federal law. I would say if someone's in the package car, they are on the clock.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why does the allotted time for a helper always end in .99???

The way it was explained to me is that the helpers time is factored into the drivers allowance in one hour blocks only.
So if you go over the hour, even by a minute or two, the allowance is penalized as if you kept the helper that entire additional hour.
What a joke, LOL, our super computers can't negotiate minutes vs hours in regards to helpers and our allowances.
The net result, the entire operation jumps through unnecessary hoops during the busiest time of year for our company.
I was recently characterized as "jaded", is it any wonder why?

tourists24

The way it was explained to me is that the helpers time is factored into the drivers allowance in one hour blocks only.
So if you go over the hour, even by a minute or two, the allowance is penalized as if you kept the helper that entire additional hour.
What a joke, LOL, our super computers can't negotiate minutes vs hours in regards to helpers and our allowances.
The net result, the entire operation jumps through unnecessary hoops during the busiest time of year for our company.
I was recently characterized as "jaded", is it any wonder why?
Its all new in our center this year.... Its no longer based on .99.... Now the computer calculates how many stops you have for the day and how many stops per hour you should do and how many you and a helper should be able to do.... yesterday my allotted time was 2.11 hrs with a helper.... today was 1.13...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Its all new in our center this year.... Its no longer based on .99.... Now the computer calculates how many stops you have for the day and how many stops per hour you should do and how many you and a helper should be able to do.... yesterday my allotted time was 2.11 hrs with a helper.... today was 1.13...

Not what I meant.
Reread.
Our helper time cards read the same as yours this year.
Supes still insist you stay under the hour, 3.99, 4.99, etc.

Last edited: