Helper fun has started

Indecisi0n

I'm just hoping I don't get have to be a "helper" this year. As a utility driver I find it rather demeaning to have to go on-road with another driver as their bitch. We have helpers already and they have been cutting routes like mad, makes me crazy.

That's idiotic. You are getting driver pay for only doing half the work.

undies

That's idiotic. You are getting driver pay for only doing half the work.

My main point is, like yesterday, I had a supervisor shuttling me out to drivers to help them because they didn't want me to drive at all. They only let me work 8 hours while everyone else is still dying and over dispatched. I want my damn overtime and I feel like a waste when I could be in an empty package car taking work of drivers and REALLY doing some good.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
If HR actually told the helpers the truth when they are hired, they couldn't get any helpers to work. Here they have to hire 10 times as many as they need and still won't have enough by Christmas eve. Helpers are told they will work all day and probably for Nov and Dec. Then they get 2 hours a day for the last 2 weeks. After a couple of days they just quit answering their phones. Plenty of times I have gone to pick up a helper and they never show up.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It's been two years since I've been in PC, but our building did all of this anal crap with us. You get helper for 2.5 hours, no longer, etc. That ended--for the drivers who pushed it--when we said never mind then, because 2.5 hours doesn't help at all. That, and they never took into account that we had to stop working at point A, drive over to the meet point, hopefully the helper would be waiting, pickup helper, drive all of the way back to where you left off at point A. Usually, at least 30 minutes, and more likely, an hour has past between leaving point A, and picking up at point B. And of course, management took all of this into account, right? HAHAHA.

This all MIGHT go a little smoother if the ties hadn't squeezed all of the blood out of their heads, and if they would have asked for just a LITTLE driver input. By I've heard that doesn't go into effect until 2057, so in the meantime, we're left with the stupid people holding onto the steering wheel. I called UNCLE, quit smoking dope and went to feeders. Now I yell at package car drivers for driving too fast in the yard and thank my lucky stars that when those PC drivers are heading out with over 200 stops, I'm heading home to go to bed. And I haven't even gotten fat! But I still love my PC drivers. They throw the greatest parties...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I am happy with the Helper that apparently has been assigned to me this year. He is a Preloader and also the son of one of our members on here. I was off last week and this past Monday, so I have just about worked him to death the last two days. He hustles and is entertaining to talk to. I had 198 stops Tuesday and 225 yesterday, and I kept him until I was through. I actually worry about him over doing it, so I will try to ease up on him a little next week. My regular Preloader got hurt and was out this week, so I had a new one just off the street that just trashed my package car the last two days, we lost a lot of time looking for stuff loaded in the wrong part of the car. The last two days were pretty tough, I appreciate the effort my Helper put out to get us through the day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was off this week and had a chance to meet my helper when the cover driver came by as I was outside raking leaves Wednesday. He seems like a good kid--we'll find out what he's made of next week.