Helper Hours

bham brown

Just wondering if any of the other centers are using the formula we use for helper hours. If they tell us you can use one for 4, 5, or 6 hours or any other number they say you have to have them off the clock 10 minutes before that hour you were told. So 4 hours would be 3 hours and 50 minutes. My msg Friday said 4.9 hours. I had 6 stops left when I had to break off and have my helper off before he went over 4.9. Makes no sense to me but then again nothing does in the new UPS matrix.

Magnus

Just wondering if any of the other centers are using the formula we use for helper hours. If they tell us you can use one for 4, 5, or 6 hours or any other number they say you have to have them off the clock 10 minutes before that hour you were told. So 4 hours would be 3 hours and 50 minutes. My msg Friday said 4.9 hours. I had 6 stops left when I had to break off and have my helper off before he went over 4.9. Makes no sense to me but then again nothing does in the new UPS matrix.
Every Peak, been a Helper since '08 and it doesn't make a lick of sense to me either. By wasting time from being kicked off early, most of the "help" we have just provided gets canceled out as the SPOHR drops during that pure waste of time and money driving us back and then the Driver driving him/herself back to where they broke off at and then the Driver's workload gets heavier and more time consuming - 50 remaining stops turns into nearly two hours with just the Driver alone, as opposed to one hour's worth of work with both Driver and Helper in tandem. But, that's what they want... so that's what they'll get.

Until they finally wake up and realize this isn't working out in any sense whatsoever, they'll just keep at it. We've all just got to pray they wake up soon and leave us both alone to get the job done and without playing these screwy games with either party.

Because of them pulling these games on me my last three Peaks now, I've had some weeks where I could barely afford to make it out to meet my Driver(s) the later days of the next week, some even having to put me up for a spot of gas themselves on an IOU (my first Peak especially, when I was getting maybe 1 to 2 hours, $40 per week)... that's how bad this situation sometimes gets with this mess of a game they are playing with us. It just doesn't work for anyone, not us Helpers, not our Drivers and certainly not for UPS itself as a whole. Something's got to give here... :knockedout:

NHDRVR

We are getting the matrix requests during the day but our onroads, all of them, are informing the drivers to keep their helpers as long as they need to. I go out w/165-185, pick up my helper about an hour after I start, and drop him off as I go home for lunch at the end of the day.
I agree that the "You can keep your helper for 2.45 hours today" request is pure crap but, as are most things in UPS, the message is sent by those who don't know or have forgotten what it's like to work during peak.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is where your driver having seniority really helps. The first day that I had my helper I was told I could use him for 2.25 hours--I used him for 3.99 hours. The helper coordinator yelled at the helper about the excess hours. When he told me about that I told her that if she had any problems with my helper hours that she should say something to me. I have not heard a peep since nor have I been told how long I could use him. I have used my best judgement and we have been at least .75 under each day.

Your driver needs to use his best judgement. If it would make more sense to keep you for an extra 30 minutes or so to finish the work rather than break off, drop you off and then go back on area then that may be what he should do. That is of course up to him as he would be the one to catch flak for his decision.

The .99 thing has been going on for as long as I have been with UPS.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was told that I need my helper no matter how many stops I have, even if I could go it alone and make 9.5. I asked why and was told that upper mgmt wanted driver's kept at a 8.5 paid day. How this makes sense, I don't know. I guess it's time to "work as directed".

cino321

I was told that I need my helper no matter how many stops I have, even if I could go it alone and make 9.5. I asked why and was told that upper mgmt wanted driver's kept at a 8.5 paid day. How this makes sense, I don't know. I guess it's time to "work as directed".

Same here, Weds-Friday I was off the clock in 8 hrs with the helper all day. Could of finished the route by myself in 10. I'm cool with it though, I get to go home early and have some company the entire day. I also don't mind the helper it's easier physically.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Same here, Weds-Friday I was off the clock in 8 hrs with the helper all day. Could of finished the route by myself in 10. I'm cool with it though, I get to go home early and have some company the entire day. I also don't mind the helper it's easier physically.
Ditto that, brotha!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In past years I have ignored whatever arbitrary limits were placed upon my helpers hours and gone ahead and made the best business decision that I could based upon whatever issues and variables happened to occur. No one ever said anything to me and I never got in trouble. I have more important things to worry about during a 60 hour peak season work week than meeting irrelevant quotas.

I refuse to "abuse" my helper. If the guy has spent 2 hours riding public transportion or burned $10 worth of gas to get out to the route and he is on time with a good attitude and willing to work, I will make sure he gets a minimum of 4 hours. To do otherwise is to risk having the guy get fed up and quit on me when I need him the most. These people are making minimum wage and it is morally wrong to nickle-and-dime them to death with 2.5 hour shifts.

This year, our management has made the intelligent decison not to try and micromanage an exact number of helper hours for 100 drivers. We have been instructed to use common sense and make good business decisions so that the packages get delivered. I'm sure some cubicle dweller in Atlanta is probably getting his shorts in a knot over it, but out here in the real world its working pretty damn well.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In regards to the .99 thing. I was told that your helper time counts against the driver in one hour increments. One more click and you get nailed for another hour, killing the already unrealistic helper standards. I kept mine 3 hours and 20 minutes today. That oughta put me on some report.

dorhugs

I was told that when a driver does pick ups his driver helper doesn't get paid for that time spent with him as he makes pick ups. Is this normal?

soberups

I was told that when a driver does pick ups his driver helper doesn't get paid for that time spent with him as he makes pick ups. Is this normal?

No, that isnt normal, that is a big steaming load of bulls$%it.

If you are in the truck you are on the clock. Period.

Whoever told you that was ignorant of company policy.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've gotten the message telling me that I can only use my helper for 2.99 hours, I just ignore it. Once I pick my guy up he's down for the ride.

dorhugs

No, that isnt normal, that is a big steaming load of bulls$%it.

If you are in the truck you are on the clock. Period.

Whoever told you that was ignorant of company policy.

Can you tell me where I can find that company policy in writing? I know someone who is a first time driver's helper and he goes out for 4 hour and is getting paid for 2 hours. The driver told him he's not allowed to pay him when he does pick ups, only when he uses him and he can't use him for pick ups. The driver offered to drop him off earlier or stay with with him and get an extra hour after his pick ups. I just don't want my friend getting ripped off. He really likes the driver, he's a nice guy otherwise.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Can you tell me where I can find that company policy in writing? I know someone who is a first time driver's helper and he goes out for 4 hour and is getting paid for 2 hours. The driver told him he's not allowed to pay him when he does pick ups, only when he uses him and he can't use him for pick ups. The driver offered to drop him off earlier or stay with with him and get an extra hour after his pick ups. I just don't want my friend getting ripped off. He really likes the driver, he's a nice guy otherwise.
That sounds like the driver is puting the helper on break, with the helper's permission. The helper has the choice of being cut loose or riding along in hopes of an extra hour "after" pick ups. Tell your "friend" that indtead of riding with this guy for 2 hours and then getting an hour, he should call the helper coordinator who could have him working those 2 hours.

dorhugs

Thank you. That makes sense. He really likes the driver he's with. He's only been working a week and a 1/2 so he wants to make the best of things before the season is quickly over.

soberups

That sounds like the driver is puting the helper on break, with the helper's permission. The helper has the choice of being cut loose or riding along in hopes of an extra hour "after" pick ups. Tell your "friend" that indtead of riding with this guy for 2 hours and then getting an hour, he should call the helper coordinator who could have him working those 2 hours.

What the driver is doing is cheating the helper out of 2 hours of pay.

Company policy is that we are not allowed to have passengers in the vehicle. If the helper isnt on the clock, then he is a passenger. And getting bounced around on a crappy little seat in the cab of a package car for 2 hours is sure as hell not a "break".

I have a pickup route, and my helper stays with me the whole time and assists me with loading packages. I am well aware of the fact that that is not the "optimum" way to utilize a helper, but I really dont care. Im not going to kick the guy out onto the street for 90 minutes and then waste time and miles driving all the way back to where I left him. And I sure as hell am not going to ask him to sit in the truck for 90 minutes and not get paid for the time.