Helper Not All That I Thought

I'm a driver helper in Ohio and it has been a gross disappointment so far. I was asked to start calling in on November 29 and I worked for the first time yesterday. I worked 2.5 hours yesterday and 3 today, my only two days on the job!!!! Now i realize i shouldn't make any assumptions, but i ASSUMED that they would need more help than what i've been used. Any opinions are appreciated.

porkwagon

Cdawg,
How loaded was the driver? I've had a helper since the Mon after Thanksgiving. Didn't need him till this week. Last week I kept him between 3 and 4 hours per day. This week between 5 and 6 hours and from here on out I wont keep him for less than 6. My stop count has been in the 290 range. Ask the driver to keep you longer or ask the helper supe to assign you to a driver that needs help.

Slowestdriver in America

Drive to stay Alive
They will give you just enough hours to keep you until they bsolutely need you for the 8 hour days. Then for a week or so it will be crazyville. Do not expect them to "give" you anything.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The he** they put the seasonal hires through is awful I am suprised any come in. You go through orientation usually far from your home, then you call and call and then 8 days before Christmas you work a few hrs then they want you all day, then its over. We have a room full of jumper/helper uniforms never touched. What a waste of time for a kid wanting to make a few bucks on break from college.

xkingx

funny, this week i got to keep mine for 8 hours..last week (with 40 more stops) I could only use them 3-5hours max.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have been using a Helper since October 18th. The boss wanted me to use him two hours a day the first week, but I used him at least four hours a day to make it worth showing up. I start him at 11 AM, and work him 5-6 hours a day the last few weeks . He is a great helper, young, eager to work, and always shows up on time. We average 30-35 stops an hour, we usually get done by 5PM. I will give him a good tip next Friday, he's a "keeper" and will get a Hub job after Peak.:thumbup1:

I agree 100%.

I am not impressed with UPS whatsoever. Not only did everybody I met at UPS do nothing but complain about the company and tell me "Don't even get caught in this mess, do something else", I also got completely screwed on the "Driver Helper position".

About two weeks before Thanksgiving I filled out the application online, and they said to come in for an interview for the driver helper position. I went in, they said I "passed", and that I should come in tomorrow to watch a video and do some paperwork as an "orientation". After that was done, they said I would start the Friday after Thanksgiving, and work everyday until December 31st.....

Over a MONTH later they called me out of nowhere "by this point in time I had already taken a full time position", they asked if I could work December 14th-December 22nd.

Okay, let me get this straight, my almost 2 month job turned into a 5 day job?

Screw you UPS.

I think as a customer from now on I'll go with Fed Ex or USPS, your company is a joke.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
My helper has been working everyday, at least 6 hours a day for the last two weeks.

I have been using a Helper since October 18th. The boss wanted me to use him two hours a day the first week, but I used him at least four hours a day to make it worth showing up. I start him at 11 AM, and work him 5-6 hours a day the last few weeks . He is a great helper, young, eager to work, and always shows up on time. We average 30-35 stops an hour, we usually get done by 5PM. I will give him a good tip next Friday, he's a "keeper" and will get a Hub job after Peak.

What is considered a good tip? I want to give my helper something next Friday.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What is considered a good tip? I want to give my helper something next Friday.[/quote]

I have never tipped a Helper before, but this one has impressed me so much I am going to give him a hundred bucks next Friday. UPS used to give a bonus to a helper if he showed up everyday and worked hard, but none of my management team has heard of anything like that this year. My helper has ran his tail off for two months now for $8.50 an hour, I feel guilty about his low pay. I have been lucky to have a great Preloader the last five years too, she is going to get something also.

bsbmc

I'm in KY and my center has been using driver helpers since october...as for me i'm a part time pre-loader / saturday air driver / seasonal driver.... i have been getting 45-50 hours a week since a few weeks before thanksgiving...its been great but i'll be back down to 28 hrs a week after the new year .. what a joke... this company should hire more divers instead of loading down all the new drivers and just add more routes... its not like the company is hurting for money... thoughts???? anybody else's center running like this....??

tieguy

Banned
I'm a driver helper in Ohio and it has been a gross disappointment so far. I was asked to start calling in on November 29 and I worked for the first time yesterday. I worked 2.5 hours yesterday and 3 today, my only two days on the job!!!! Now i realize i shouldn't make any assumptions, but i ASSUMED that they would need more help than what i've been used. Any opinions are appreciated.

Its an entry level job at best. Not meant to be a career. It does give you an introduction to the work ethic of UPSers

InTheRed

What is considered a good tip? I want to give my helper something next Friday.

I have never tipped a Helper before, but this one has impressed me so much I am going to give him a hundred bucks next Friday. UPS used to give a bonus to a helper if he showed up everyday and worked hard, but none of my management team has heard of anything like that this year. My helper has ran his tail off for two months now for $8.50 an hour, I feel guilty about his low pay. I have been lucky to have a great Preloader the last five years too, she is going to get something also.[/quote]

$8.50 an hour?!! I thought helper pay was like $13.40ish...that's what they're doing out here in the northeast.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Just $8.50 in Atlanta, I saw his paycheck. I won't show him mine with fifty hours a week. I'm glad he hasn't asked!

Its an entry level job at best. Not meant to be a career. It does give you an introduction to the work ethic of UPSers

The work ethic of most people is good and honest. Let's talk about the lack of ethics by UPS management. (in most locations) You have to admit based just on this fourm that UPS has serious issues on how to treat people. The introduction most new hires and temps get is that UPS is awful. Why would any one want to make a career/slave job with UPS after the great intro they get. Again why put up with it for even $13 an hour just for a slim chance at getting on full time. Then you get full time sh**.

disneyworld

I agree 100%.

I am not impressed with UPS whatsoever. Not only did everybody I met at UPS do nothing but complain about the company and tell me "Don't even get caught in this mess, do something else", I also got completely screwed on the "Driver Helper position".

About two weeks before Thanksgiving I filled out the application online, and they said to come in for an interview for the driver helper position. I went in, they said I "passed", and that I should come in tomorrow to watch a video and do some paperwork as an "orientation". After that was done, they said I would start the Friday after Thanksgiving, and work everyday until December 31st.....

Over a MONTH later they called me out of nowhere "by this point in time I had already taken a full time position", they asked if I could work December 14th-December 22nd.

Okay, let me get this straight, my almost 2 month job turned into a 5 day job?

Screw you UPS.

I think as a customer from now on I'll go with Fed Ex or USPS, your company is a joke.
I've been hearing alot about UPS telling helpers they will work until Dec 31st. In my 20 yrs I have never seen a helper work past the 24th.

sendagain

I suppose you have to use seasonal help at Christmas, but the applicants are largely terrible. You force the drivers to work during their most difficult period in a way they haven't in 11 months, with newbies that often are poorly trained. I refused helpers the last few peaks on my route and rid myself of the headache. I can remember helpers that would get lost in my buildings, and many they showed up late or not at all. I was always glad when they didn't show because then I could stop thinking for two people and kick it into maximum overdrive.