Helpers already??

wornoutupser

Here we go again!

We have drivers laid off yet UPS has decided to continue to cut runs and are already putting HELPERS out on the road!

Is this going on anywhere else?

outamyway

Well, we had 3 EAM drivers who went cover driving a few months ago. Just recently they were told they had to go back to EAM driving. Two of them have been helpers for the last week. I ran into one at a mall driving a truck around delivering packages. The regular driver had a truck and he had a truck. He was getting helper pay.

Just the other day a supervisor an an air driver we're delivering bulk stops of ground. They had no other drivers to take it, because what should be cover drivers are now driver helpers.

Peak should be fun.

upsguysavannah

Going on here, too... I was shocked to see a helper in my neighborhood yesterday, IN OCTOBER, while our center claims to have a shortage of drivers. Just another example of UPS attempting to spend less money to get the job done at the expense of its employees and its customers.

Griff

Ah, seasonal driver helpers, what a hilariously awful idea. I'd love to meet the person who fathered this idea and left it twisting in the wind. Last year it turned into another numbers game here for management, we had to put X amount of stops in DIAD3 while using DIAD4 for the majority of stops. What a great idea guys, show your boss that each helper does 20 stops, except its actually the driver using both boards because YOU DONT BOTHER TO TRAIN THE HELPERS OR EVEN GIVE THEM AN ACCURATE JOB DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO BE DOING OUT THERE. I had 6 different helpers last year, 4 of them only lasted 1 day, none of them were properly informed about the job. I guess it comes down to the UPS montra of "let the driver deal with it".

What's the difference though? As long as you guys can crowd around a conference table and pat yourselves on the back for another peak in the books, job well done, I guess all is fine in paper land.

BCFan

Going on my third week with a helper (ATL) nothing like a young lazy azzed college student....WOOHOO:thumbup1: BC (not busy currently)

Dump and Run

Ah, seasonal driver helpers, what a hilariously awful idea. I'd love to meet the person who fathered this idea and left it twisting in the wind. Last year it turned into another numbers game here for management, we had to put X amount of stops in DIAD3 while using DIAD4 for the majority of stops. What a great idea guys, show your boss that each helper does 20 stops, except its actually the driver using both boards because YOU DONT BOTHER TO TRAIN THE HELPERS OR EVEN GIVE THEM AN ACCURATE JOB DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO BE DOING OUT THERE. I guess it comes down to the UPS montra of "let the driver deal with it".

What's the difference though? As long as you guys can crowd around a conference table and pat yourselves on the back for another peak in the books, job well done, I guess all is fine in paper land.

Yes Griff we had the same DIAD dance. Who is the A$$hat that comes up with these ideas?

705red

Browncafe Steward
My manager said he has the helpers and they are ready to be teamed up with drivers. I informed him if any package driver was sent home for any reason and they used helpers i would gladly grieve him over it. So no helpers here yet.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
YOU DONT BOTHER TO TRAIN THE HELPERS OR EVEN GIVE THEM AN ACCURATE JOB DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO BE DOING OUT THERE. I had 6 different helpers last year, 4 of them only lasted 1 day, none of them were properly informed about the job. I guess it comes down to the UPS montra of "let the driver deal with it".

I agree helpers don't get much in the way of training. I worked with two drivers regularly last Peak. The first one didn't have the patience or the time to spend teaching me the DIAD. The second one INSISTED on taking that time, saying it would save us time if we used both boards. The fact that he was HOME by 7 everynight tells me he was right. So, as we'd leave one stop, I'd be playing 'game-boy' on the board and talking loud enough so he could hear me describing what keys I was pushing. I knew how to 'game-boy' pretty well by the time I was released. I got the hang of Pre-Recording in DIAD 3 the DAY before I was released. Typical, eh? :thumbup1::sad:.

My manager said he has the helpers and they are ready to be teamed up with drivers. I informed him if any package driver was sent home for any reason and they used helpers i would gladly grieve him over it. So no helpers here yet.

Man, Red....how many targets do you have painted on your back for how many management at your hub to shoot at? I respect you standing up like that but still....So, when is North Illinois going to put helpers on-road this year? I'm curious because I'm seeing a LOT of temp cars on-road. Rocky Mountain District rents Budget trucks and I was STUNNED to see several of them in a parking lot the other day, which was the first time I knew they were on-road already. -Rocky

One year I was a helper. (full time driver) I delivered a bulk car. Parked down town walked from building to building with a hand truck.