Helping other drivers

MrBates

There are a few new drivers in my loop that would call me asking if I needed help with covering pick ups. They would do this on their own without any prior direction from a supervisor.

I was never a big fan of this practice. I prefer to let the office do their job and make the decision to send help. They know exactly how many stops each driver has left.

take your time

If you are done, and the green light of death comes on, do not touch your board until you get back to the building. When you get to the building, message back, "I am at the building, do you want me to go back out." Then sit and wait for an answer. NEVER use your phone if they are forcing you to help. Tell them to set up the meet.

If you are on the 9/5 list, reply to every 'can you help' message with, 'am I being forced.' Wait for an answer. If they are telling you to help with the 1st message, reply with, "what is the meet point.' If they do not reply with a time, ask for that, do not move until you get a reply.

You have to work as directed, but make it as painful as possible.

just out of curiosity, why should we never use our phone?

barnyard

KTM rider
just out of curiosity, why should we never use our phone?

It takes more time. If I have to help someone, it is because of a crappy dispatch decision. Those decisions should be expensive. Expensive mistakes get fixed. If I use my phone to set up the meet point, it takes a minute. If I send a message back and then wait for the answer, it takes a minimum of 10 minutes. If I sit until I get a response, it takes that much longer to get to the meet point.

All of this is a pain in the can to the person in the office. Make it harder for them and they are less likely to ask you again. You want to know how I know??

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Some people take their lunch at the end of the day in the building. If I get a message to help, "I have to take lunch, set up meet for after (whatever time I am done with break.) If you know the area you will be helping, make sure to take break far from there.

At some point, I will also reply with, "You need to fix your dispatch errors before we leave the building."
We cannot take lunch late. Must be done by 3PM. Taking late lunch speeds up the paid day.

bumped

There are a few new drivers in my loop that would call me asking if I needed help with covering pick ups. They would do this on their own without any prior direction from a supervisor.

I was never a big fan of this practice. I prefer to let the office do their job and make the decision to send help. They know exactly how many stops each driver has left.

Are you in a bonus center? Those types of drivers only want the real easy pickup volume to pad their bonus.

Yolo

Spend 30 minutes to drive to meet another driver. Take 15 stops. Take a hour to deliver them. 30 minutes to drive back to the building. Easy 2 hours of Overtime.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Some people take their lunch at the end of the day in the building. If I get a message to help, "I have to take lunch, set up meet for after (whatever time I am done with break.) If you know the area you will be helping, make sure to take break far from there.

At some point, I will also reply with, "You need to fix your dispatch errors before we leave the building."

I started taking my break with 5-10 stops left for about 2 months in a row. I would take my.hour lunch so I didn't have to help the sams guy every night who is out there dicking around on purpose. It didn't matter what route I was on or how far away I was from him. So I found my own way to say :censored2: to management. Took 2 months but they got the message. Not saying it's right or that I want to do it but damnit I don't want to be punished for doing my job efficiently either.

bumped

If I come to help you

I’ll be telling YOU what stops or pickups I’am taking

If I come to help you

Why didn't you quote the message I quoted as well. This isn't management telling you to come help me. These are drivers calling on their own to do the gravy bonus work.

Anyway, I would refuse to meet you as I don't get help. If I'm not seeing my kids anyways it doesn't matter if I world 10,11,12,13,or 13.99 hours.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Why didn't you quote the message I quoted as well. This isn't management telling you to come help me. These are drivers calling on their own to do the gravy bonus work.

Anyway, I would refuse to meet you as I don't get help. If I'm not seeing my kids anyways it doesn't matter if I world 10,11,12,13,or 13.99 hours.

Calm down Suzy it’s Sunday afternoon

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If I come to help you

One time I let the center know that I wouldn't be making 9.5 and they sent a driver to take some work off me, he showed up all mad telling me he was only gonna take X amount of stops, I said "That's fine bro, take what you want". After he left I called the center again and let them know I still wasn't going to make 9.5 cuz the guy only took about 15 minutes worth of work. About 20 minutes later he showed up again, and this time he was really mad!