Here is a question: The logic behind eliminating an "A" car?

NI1

Now, this isnt a trick question. This isnt a rookie question, in all my years with UPS driving, I need to know what is the logic on eliminating an "a" car instead of "d" car?

This is a habit in my center now and I still dont understand it. they would eliminate an 'a' car maybe twice a week but yet they keep the 'd'? shouldnt it be the other way around? :confused:1

Am I missing something here? isnt this suppose to be common sense or logic?

discuss

NI1

If that happens, then the driver with 'seniority' which happens to be driving the 'a' car should be able to 'bump' the next car in line right? wrong....lol im confused haha...

Just Lurking

devils advocate - How do they eliminate an entire route if the driver would just follow the majority of the delivery area that moved to another route? ;)

It like removing your from your bid area for an 8 hr request. I'm pretty sure that I will deliver more on my area in 8 hrs than I would a new area. :)

We still have baselines and run loops?

NI1

^ a very valid point. However, I saw it happening alot lately.

Is there such a thing as 8 hours in UPS? lol Its either I call in or dont request it at all. :cool:

Golfnut54481

I'm the 66E and Mondays my route gets busted. 66F is still in....They say my route is easiest to break cause I have no pickups.....Atleast this Monday I have off....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
One year I had a bid route that got cut almost every monday, I rather enjoyed it. If I wanted to work there was always something else available (usually a senior driver with a gravy run who wanted the day off), other wise I took the three day weekend :cool:.

mason575

will you get your holiday pay? I dont know if its the same there but if we dont work the day prior to or the day after a holiday then we dont get the holiday pay.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Around here, you only lose holiday pay if you call in sick the day before/after. If you're laid off you still get paid.

over9five

Staff member
Happens here too.

If only all these drivers who have their rts cut would DEMAND THEIR 8!
Would make them think twice about cutting rts!

Golfnut54481

I usually work when my route is broke unless I am going to get stuck on one with late pickups. Was really nice a couple of years back when one guy would take Mondays off and I did his route...A true gravy run.....

over9five

Staff member
"when one guy would take Mondays off and I did his route..."

It's these company bootlickers who get the rest of us 11 hr days when their routes are cut.

If everybody stuck together and demanded their contractually agreed upon 8 hours...

JustTired

free at last.......

It's these company bootlickers who get the rest of us 11 hr days when their routes are cut.

If everybody stuck together and demanded their contractually agreed upon 8 hours...

That's true! But what is also true is that when this guy goes home, they still have to pay his benefits for the day. And 99% of the time they end up paying time and a half to get his work done. A real savings, isn't it?
Of course some one will give the old "one less car on the road" and all of the cost savings that will be. You know.....saved 15gal. of fuel, wear and tear on the vehicle, one less potential for an accident. Well how about 4-5 overdispatched, overworked drivers and how the potential for accidents go up in that case. How about late deliveries and pickups because those drivers have to alter their days to accomodate the change.

Just another case of spending a dollar to save a dime, but it looks good on paper. maybe dudebro can shed some light on this.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

It's not that simple, and I would think you've been around long enough to know that. If everyone demands their 8 hours they won't put in a route to accommodate them, they'll just lay drivers off from the bottom up. And then some junior guy who wanted to work (because he needs the money) will be laid off while a senior guy who wanted to take the day off (because he can afford to) will end up working.

We don't have any "bootlickers" around here, most of us run over allowed more often than not. But we do have extra drivers on most days, which gives people the opportunity to take a day off during the week if they need to. I see that as a good thing.

Megansman

Here's a related question... suppose managament eliminated the C route, giving 1/3 of the work to B and the rest to D. Now C has no route. C files a grievance, want's B's route... management refuses to rename the D route to C to protect D driver (he's a runner). Can C take B's route (he has more seniority) or should he follow the majority of his work and take D (he has more seniority than D as well)?