Hey! (New UPS Employee)

stoavio

CTOTH said:
I work local sort. This is my second time around. The first time I shed about 20 lbs by the end of August. This time I've only been working for 2 weeks but everyone is right. Prepare for physical agony, especially in the morning.
Tip: Protein shake before bed. The reason your muscles hurt is because there is small tears in them and all muscle is made of protein. This will give them [muscles] a chance to heal overnight. You will still be in pain but it'll be more bearable.

Best of luck.

Thanks! I drink whey protein as it is but now I'll drink one before bedtime.

B

brownISer

try to form your own opinions...some folks that post to this site are just not happy working at UPS, but they won't leave for some reason--??

stoavio

brownISer said:
try to form your own opinions...some folks that post to this site are just not happy working at UPS, but they won't leave for some reason--??

Understandably, not everyone is going to be happy with their job, but I haven't seen anyone complaining about that in this thread.

I'm just asking for advice and information about my new job. Anything that will help better prepare me.

aspenleaf

I am a preloader so we do have a quota. . .but it seems there are numbers to just about everything at UPS. Just do what you were trained to do and be safe!

aspenleaf

stoavio said:
Have you shed some weight? Put on some lean body mass? That's one of my reasons for taking this particular job. I'm really interested in being physically active. :)

Oh yes. . .I lost about 20 pounds in my first 4 months. I am too lazy to go to a gym or workout so this is it for me. I love that I get paid to "workout" and it makes me feel good. Some positions in my hub have not been that active for the wokers so it depends on how much lifting and moving you do.

Good luck, hang in there and enjoy! I personally love my preloading job and really enjoy the hours the work and the people I work with. The pay is not bad and the benefits are unbeatable for partimers. Just pay attention to what you do and watch for falling objects!

20_smoke

My advice to you, from a full time supervisor is this. Come to work everyday and on time. Management likes employees that work with a sense of urgency, do not use the "I'm doing the best I can" line. Also, understand that UPS is a place for advancement, we can always use pkg car drivers and P/T supervisors and TSG employees. And make sure you are going to school. Take advantage of earn and learn. After a week ask your supervisor how you are doing. Supervisors like employees that show that they care. This web site likes to bash UPS, but UPS is really what you make of it. Good luck!

disneyworld

20_smoke said:
My advice to you, from a full time supervisor is this. Come to work everyday and on time. Management likes employees that work with a sense of urgency, do not use the "I'm doing the best I can" line. Also, understand that UPS is a place for advancement, we can always use pkg car drivers and P/T supervisors and TSG employees. And make sure you are going to school. Take advantage of earn and learn. After a week ask your supervisor how you are doing. Supervisors like employees that show that they care. This web site likes to bash UPS, but UPS is really what you make of it. Good luck!
I disagree. UPS can have an employee working safe or an employee working fast for them to reach their unrealistic numbers.You can't have both.

stoavio

aspenleaf said:
Oh yes. . .I lost about 20 pounds in my first 4 months. I am too lazy to go to a gym or workout so this is it for me. I love that I get paid to "workout" and it makes me feel good. Some positions in my hub have not been that active for the wokers so it depends on how much lifting and moving you do.

Good luck, hang in there and enjoy! I personally love my preloading job and really enjoy the hours the work and the people I work with. The pay is not bad and the benefits are unbeatable for partimers. Just pay attention to what you do and watch for falling objects!

Sounds awesome. I'm headed off to my first day (of actual work). I'll report back and let you know how it went.

Thanks everyone!

aspenleaf

20_smoke said:

What is wrong with “doing the best you can”? I hope you are referring to the “slackers” who say that but it is obvious that they are not doing their best. If a preloader is doing their best that means they are sorting at the boxline and move packages in optimal loads to the trucks. No stacking, no running. In one pass of a cage the employee should be able to clear most of the packages if they are following the methods. Pulling the large packages out in the first rev and then sorting the smaller ones in the next pass.

I know some supervisors think we can do more but sometimes we really are doing all that we can. If an employee is holding back then they should be dealt with but a supervisor should not assume that all are tying milk the clock. Some people might hold back on purpose so that they can mange what work they have and not have to go load other people’s trucks that for whatever reason are “slow”.

On my side of the boxline all I see are hard workers working as fast as we can and yet we are still not good enough. Another thing that slows down the preload are the over dispatched trucks since we run out of shelf space and have to use the floor and then can only enter the truck sideways. What would you suggest to get more out of us? Just an FYI, yelling, throwing things and cussing at us doesn’t work. We have been desensitized to the temper tantrums of supervisors (who unfortunately are most likely getting yelled at by their manger etc.)

All your other advice is great. . .UPS is paying for my schooling. I ask my supervisor everyday how I did the day before and get feedback.

over9five

Staff member
"...no Sex."

TOONER! Are you trying to get him to quit??? He's paobably much younger than us (well, me anyhow).

EVERYONE, please continue to have sex!

(Tooner, I need to talk to you after the PCM!!!)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
over9five said:
"...no Sex."

TOONER! Are you trying to get him to quit??? He's paobably much younger than us (well, me anyhow).

EVERYONE, please continue to have sex!

(Tooner, I need to talk to you after the PCM!!!)

Alright Over9five,
I will talk to my wife and use this as a reason to have sex!:lol:

DS

Fenderbender
Hey 20_smoke...your advice was fine,I just took offence to your comment ...this web site likes to bash ups...that is not true at all.
People come here for advice,to share opinions or to just relate.If someone is treated unfairly by management they have nowhere else to turn except the union,and unfortunately they are for the most part,useless.If a driver or preloader or whatever is being intimidated by a supervisor,they can come in here and talk to people that may have experienced the same thing.UPS is more than what you make of it when the expectations are ridiculously high,and management is production oriented to the point that your 8 1/2 hr planned day takes 12 hours to complete.I`ve been a driver a long time and the truth is ups is what your current management staff makes it.Some people are smart enough to know when the get a new center manager that thinks he`s going to change the world,he will just make your life miserable until he either learns that we are not dogging it out there,or they transfer him to Buffalo.

stoavio

I just got home from my first day at work and it was nothing short of grueling! I really like the job so far, the people are nice and the work is tough (which is what I wanted) but I'm worried a little bit about an existing lower back issue I have. It's intermitten and only occurs when I'm lifting (which is always on the job).

I live a pretty sedentary life as a freelance web and graphic designer so for the past 6 years I've spent a lot of time sitting in a computer chair. I have poor posture and because I've never really done any back excercises I think my lower back may be weak. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Today toward the end of my shift my back started hurting. Luckily we had break and the work I did after break was comparably less strenuous to the work I was doing before break. I don't think I'm going to bring this to the attention of management because this isn't anything new. I'm unsure of the exact cause but am hopeful that with more time on the job my back will strengthen and this annoying pain will begin to dissipate.

What do you guys/gals think about back braces? Are the effective? I've heard from some people that they just provide a false sense of support thus making the wearer injur themselves even worse. Do they work? How much do they cost. Does UPS provide them if one were to be requested?

Anyway, so far I'm really happy about the job. I came home drenched in sweat and like I said everyone was nice and helpful.

Will keep you posted.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Back braces are a joke, like you wrote, they give you a false sense of security. I have had two hernia surgeries about twenty years ago, and that is what the surgeon told me. They don't protect the muscles that we use in this job. Just be careful, lift with your legs, etc., just like you should have been trained using HABITS training. Good luck, you should get used to it after a while. As you earn senority, you will get to bid on other work later. This job is what you make it, have a good attitude and you can go far.

stoavio

scratch_king said:
Back braces are a joke, like you wrote, they give you a false sense of security. I have had two hernia surgeries about twenty years ago, and that is what the surgeon told me. They don't protect the muscles that we use in this job. Just be careful, lift with your legs, etc., just like you should have been trained using HABITS training. Good luck, you should get used to it after a while. As you earn senority, you will get to bid on other work later. This job is what you make it, have a good attitude and you can go far.

That sounds like very good advice and I totally agree. I really like the job so far - I'm just worried about hurting myself (and of course learning how to stack the boxes so as not to look like a chimp.) My walls sucked today lol.

aspenleaf

You made it through day one! I also worked at a desk for 5 years but after the first week I was not sore each day. You should get used to it and use the proper methods when lifting. Forget the brace like everyone said. This board is great to let you vent or just talk to others (it really helps since at work we don't get to talk too much - unless you talk to trucks or boxes!).

Good luck tomorrow.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Stoavio, IMHO if it is just hurting from lack of use, and as you say you have led a pretty sedentary life, suck it up, there is a difference between aching and injured. Although with a back from what I surmise, sometimes you cant tell the difference. It will get stronger, but it will always hurt. The chiro on my route said the human back is only made to lift 50 pds...so you use your legs, and your power zone to reduce the stress on the back.
As far as a back brace, it does nothing but reinforce your back, and can actually cause you to get hurt far worse when say at home you need to move the couch and you dont have your brace on and your back is used to having it on, and SNAP.
Like I said before, do nothing else if you want this job the first couple weeks, except rest for the next day, and avoid anything else strenuous like.........well you know.
And this is JMHO