Hey! (New UPS Employee)

teamsterdan

hey, fyi most locals have "initiation fees" which is a set amt. taken out of your first few checks during your probation period and as odd as it sounds I believe they are non-refunable, the initaial fee is nominal abt. $100.... imho the camel back is abt. as dumb as the guy I work w/ who wears a bike helmet....no joke....you need breaks to rest and replenish your fluids, If you can't get through a trailer w/ out water (except on high heat days) perhaps you should follow the advice of "ducky13swing".............

hoser

Industrial Slob
brothers and sisters let me remind you especially (20_smoke) of article 37 section 1 of our contract which clearly states "The EMPLOYER shall not... OVERLY SUPERVISE any employee in the performance of his/her duties.

Now I see why slackers get away with slacking! Gee, thanks teamsters!

A

Anon [Gauk]

Re: Hey! Hernia Question

Back braces are a joke, like you wrote, they give you a false sense of security. I have had two hernia surgeries about twenty years ago, and that is what the surgeon told me. They don't protect the muscles that we use in this job. Just be careful, lift with your legs, etc., just like you should have been trained using HABITS training. Good luck, you should get used to it after a while. As you earn senority, you will get to bid on other work later. This job is what you make it, have a good attitude and you can go far.

Hey, I've been loading at UPS Baltimore hub for 1.5 years and on a routine checkup the doctor found a small inguinal hernia. Any way I can pin this on UPS and/or get them to pay for surgery? I have a friend who has had surgery on both sides, his recent one was done with the new mesh technique that has lower recurrance and faster recovery. If/when I have surgery, I'll definitely opt for that.

C

ChillN666

If you all lose so much weight going to work for UPS how come we have so many fat drivers?

helenofcalifornia

My doctor told me that after work I should go to the gym and do cardio for a 1./2 hour. Your body gets used to the work and thinks delivering is normal and that that much work is regular. Wait until you are off on disability for a bit and watch your weight REALLY balloon up. I can gain 15 pounds in a month not by overeating, but just by not working and burning those calories I do when driving. Believe me, if you are a fat driver, it doesn't mean you are not a fit driver. Maybe not in perfect health, but not the same as a fat person on the street.

BrownKnows

So what happened to STOAVIO??? Did he quit? He hasn't been active here since November of last year. After reading through all of this, I'm really interested to know what happened!

stoavio

So what happened to STOAVIO??? Did he quit? He hasn't been active here since November of last year. After reading through all of this, I'm really interested to know what happened!

Hey BrownKnows. Thanks for the PM!

Yep, I quit! I lasted about 30 days, maybe a little more. It wasn't the physical aspect of job that drove me a way, entirely anyway, but mainly because they were basically starving me out by giving me less than 6 hours a week. I needed a more consistent income.

Not everyone is meant for this type of work. It is grueling, demanding, and everything they say it is. It certainly gives you appreciation for hard work though. I think everyone should spend a week or two in a feeder.

My SUP was a jerkoff and to be honest I just wasn't cutting it physically. The job isn't about strength either -- it's about endurance and stamina, both of which I lacked. I did my best, and they said I was doing fine, but I knew that maintaining that pace under those conditions wasn't something I wanted to continue doing.

My advice to anyone considering this job: Be sure you WANT to be physical. Understand that the job likely will not be fun and you will be sore. Also realize that if you're taking this as a summer job, the heat and humidity will only compound your suffering.

Whoever wagered that I wouldn't last more than 30 days was wrong, but not by much.

So there's your update! :)

Told ya I wouldn't disappear for good. :P

HazMatMan

Just wanted to post back with an update. Right now they've got me on a call in basis which is a real pain in the ass. I have to call at 4:30PM everyday and speak to my sup. He'll let me know if they've had a call-in and if not, he'll tell me to call back by 6:00PM. I have to do this everyday. There have been a few times (2 or 3 at the max) that they've had me come in on the second call but usually they tell me they're all set for the night. So far I've worked about 18 hours since I started on July 17th and made $90.00. My first check was for like $63.50 and my second check was closer to $70.00 but they took $36.00 out in union dues. I didn't think I was apart of the union yet because I'm still a seasonal employee? Isn't that how it works?

Anyway, I haven't worked since last Thursday but have called in 2 times a day everyday last week. Is this how all locations do it or am I getting dicked around? I'm wondering why they hired me since it appears they really don't need me except for on days when someone calls in sick.

Come to my building there's at least 10 call ins a night, that's on a good night too.

They tell you don't come in, they are set for the night. TRANSLATION- Don't come in, our sups will work for the absent ones.

Did you pay initiation fees yet? Or did 36 dollars a month just happen to start coming out of your check?

HazMatMan

Hey BrownKnows. Thanks for the PM!

Yep, I quit! I lasted about 30 days, maybe a little more. It wasn't the physical aspect of job that drove me a way, entirely anyway, but mainly because they were basically starving me out by giving me less than 6 hours a week. I needed a more consistent income.

Not everyone is meant for this type of work. It is grueling, demanding, and everything they say it is. It certainly gives you appreciation for hard work though. I think everyone should spend a week or two in a feeder.

My SUP was a jerkoff and to be honest I just wasn't cutting it physically. The job isn't about strength either -- it's about endurance and stamina, both of which I lacked. I did my best, and they said I was doing fine, but I knew that maintaining that pace under those conditions wasn't something I wanted to continue doing.

My advice to anyone considering this job: Be sure you WANT to be physical. Understand that the job likely will not be fun and you will be sore. Also realize that if you're taking this as a summer job, the heat and humidity will only compound your suffering.

Whoever wagered that I wouldn't last more than 30 days was wrong, but not by much.

So there's your update! :)

Told ya I wouldn't disappear for good. :P

Good luck with your life's endeavors!! Sorry, didn't see your final post about quitting..

username

BoOmBasTiC
Stoavio,
I woudn't worry about the bickering anymore. Teamsterdan pretty much kicked 20_smoke's ass. Hey Teamsterdan, once they start picking on your spelling you pretty much won. It's pretty funny when all they can do is turn into "spelling nazis".

Listen to Stoavio and keep his thread on topic. BTW Stoavio, I still feel that you will quit before your 30 days. Why? I'll tell you when you either quit or when you hit seniority. Don't lie either and don't disappear. Let us know.

-Pylon

P.S. winny + deca + UPS = Hercules

H0w did you know he was going to quit?

kmac126

I literally can not figure out how to start a thread... so im really sorry about posting on here, but i just have a simple question.

Ive been working at ups for awhile now and yeah the work is repetitive and tough but i still actually like it.. ive had my bad off days but i stick it out bc i want to work at ups for a long time and make good money when i work my way up, BUT
every morning the drivers come in and all they do is complain... now i understand some of the things they would be bothered about, but nearly every driver complains about their job, is it really that bad? its almost gotten to the point where im wondering if i should start a career somewhere else?

isnt the pay good once you work your way up?
and all the benefits worth it?

ive just started getting doubts, but i really want to start my career here, im just curious!

thanks guys