High volume

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Anyone else filing over the use of Helpers? The contract is pretty clear Helpers are only used between from October 15 -January 15.

MattM

Anyone else filing over the use of Helpers? The contract is pretty clear Helpers are only used between from October 15 -January 15.

I think the only thing that’s clear is the pay rate.

My area is struggling so bad that they are getting helpers from other buildings to come in. We have a new guy who’s been here two months already making top rate driver helping.

This company makes no sense. They’re the same guys firing new drivers for the smallest infractions. Do they have money to burn? Let’s fire the guys making $19-$24, and scrounge up helpers making top rate.

We’ve already been through 30 helpers. Only 2-3 continue to want to do it. Even top rate, the job sucks and you can’t get enough people. 90% would rather stick with their $13 doing a lot less work. Go figure

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We got absolutely blindsided on Tuesday. Every single driver was on the clock and pulling their own stuff off the belt so they sent all the preloaders home at around 10:20 so almost all of our Air was late. They had to adjust all the preload start times to what they were at the height of peak and ran helpers every single day this week. And next week will be worse.
Next week is gonna be an absolute disaster

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think the only thing that’s clear is the pay rate.

My area is struggling so bad that they are getting helpers from other buildings to come in. We have a new guy who’s been here two months already making top rate driver helping.

This company makes no sense. They’re the same guys firing new drivers for the smallest infractions. Do they have money to burn? Let’s fire the guys making $19-$24, and scrounge up helpers making top rate.

We’ve already been through 30 helpers. Only 2-3 continue to want to do it. Even top rate, the job sucks and you can’t get enough people. 90% would rather stick with their $13 doing a lot less work. Go figure
How bout 9.5? Lots of people filing on that too?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How can you file on Helpers when Local 728 gives special permission to the company to use them during heavy days?

MattM

Not sure. I’m a airport worker. They never normally call us or have bid sheets. True desperate times. We have guys getting 25 hrs on one shift at my building , and helping another 20 at another building helping.

Some new guys are making more than any 1-4 yr in progression driver.

Drivers cannot be happy and those that do get help aren’t too excited their times are being cut. Unless they are on a 9.5 list, and a helper is their punishment.

Not a lot of happy workers though. Many of the potential helpers can’t help out of their own building because their shift is active, thus calling other buildings for help. Everyone deserves a shot on that bid list imho.

I agree. Share the wealth and don’t focus on what the next guy is making. But my area is weird. Drivers here don’t like knowing a guy hired in May is making the same as a 25 yr veteran.

Future

Victory Ride
I actually don’t know what volume numbers here are but I know more routes are in and the routes that are in aren’t exactly lighter than years past.

Anyone else noticing higher than normal summer volume?
Yes ... trust me .... volume through the roof....wait till next week