Hired as a Seasonal Helper in Massachusetts

new_upserMA

Ok things going pretty well. Driver like it that I am quick he hands me package I run it to the address either in front of door or garage.
Now how should I let hr or helper coordinator know that i really want to work after holidays are over even if it's some sunrise shift as package handler in building to get my foot in the door

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ok things going pretty well. Driver like it that I am quick he hands me package I run it to the address either in front of door or garage.
Now how should I let hr or helper coordinator know that i really want to work after holidays are over even if it's some sunrise shift as package handler in building to get my foot in the door
images-1.jpeg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let your driver know that you are interested in a permanent position and, based upon your work ethic and performance during Peak, he may or may not recommend to HR that you be kept on after Peak.

capers8

Just let it come up naturally. Every driver I've worked with has asked what I'm going to do after peak. As you can see on these forums, drivers get easily annoyed by helpers who constantly ask about getting rehired. Maybe ask about it once if it doesn't come up, but definitely not more than once. Probably best to wait til further into the season.

new_upserMA

Let your driver know that you are interested in a permanent position and, based upon your work ethic and performance during Peak, he may or may not recommend to HR that you be kept on after Peak.

I know with UPS you have to start at bottom which means working a sunrise shift (ex. 4am - 9am) as a package handler but trust me I will kick a** and move up quickly. The only thing that may work against me is my driving record, not the greatest several minor accidents most recently spinning out into the woods...
the only thing is I will be starting 20 years over the average age but I am in excellent shape
But nothing in life is guaranteed except for death & taxes

PT Car Washer

20 years over the average starting driver age? In the past new drivers had to have 5 to 10 years PT before they had a chance of going driving. That would make them 25 to 30 and often a few years older then that. That means you are pushing 50. 25 years for a decent retirement pension and you will be working into your 70's.

bowflex

Not the case anymore. I see new hires off the street on a regular both in Philly,NJ and Baltimore. This is my second year as a reg temp. I won't take full time even if it is offered. I like working for a months and having the rest of the year to do me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I know with UPS you have to start at bottom which means working a sunrise shift (ex. 4am - 9am) as a package handler but trust me I will kick a** and move up quickly. The only thing that may work against me is my driving record, not the greatest several minor accidents most recently spinning out into the woods...
the only thing is I will be starting 20 years over the average age but I am in excellent shape
You will not be hired as permanent most likely...if you are over 40. Too much of an injury liability. And kicking azzz doean't help you move up quickly...seniority does!

PT Car Washer

I have seen a few over 40 hired into feeders. Very few, must have know someone. Never off the street into package car. A few that did their time PT and started package car in their 40's, but very few.

bowflex

I got hired reg temp 2 years straight at 2 different hubs. I am 44. Two other reg temp driver that got hired were older than me. Some hubs must be desperate.

new_upserMA

I got hired reg temp 2 years straight at 2 different hubs. I am 44. Two other reg temp driver that got hired were older than me. Some hubs must be desperate.
The unemployment rate is under 6.0% and most millennials aka the trophy generation want some white collar job where they sit in front of a computer all day. Not to mention many work 60 hours a week and get paid only for 40

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
The unemployment rate is under 6.0% and most millennials aka the trophy generation want some white collar job where they sit in front of a computer all day. Not to mention many work 60 hours a week and get paid only for 40

What would you call Gen Y and X?

new_upserMA

Gen Y =millennials somehow raised to this trophy status by today show and cnn. Can't do no wrong. They don't mention rampant heroin epidemic or drug use though since mommy and daddy can influence town law enforcement

bowflex

Temps and seasonal don't count as regular package car drivers.
Hey genius the people I am referring to got hired full time as drivers. I don't want full time so I don't accept it and just apply again next year. That's why I am only reg temp this year as well. They all have been working straight through as drivers.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Gen Y =millennials somehow raised to this trophy status by today show and cnn. Can't do no wrong. They don't mention rampant heroin epidemic or drug use though since mommy and daddy can influence town law enforcement

Even Gen X and the Baby boomers have drugs as an evil.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's not derailing simply because you didn't like what I said.