Hired as a Seasonal Helper in Massachusetts

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I
You are right read what. I wrote. I am an owner in a FedEx HD llc. I also believe in blunt honesty even if the news is less than nice.
Chances are high I know the driver you work with, from what I have read. And yes, many are two faced as well as arrogant without reason. Overpaid delivery drivers with egos ..lol. Thick skin would help you.

At least you work in the best center in the building, and probably a good route.

new_upserMA

No it's the
Wait, is all this crying still just because you were told not to come in Wednesday?

It's the principle not the $40 or whatever after taxes but it meant that the driver didn't like me or talked :censored2: because I wasnt perfect to his standards. As I said I want to get a perm job with ups eventually drive in 2 years or so but from what I have read here the chance of seasonal helper staying on past dec 24th is less than 0.1%. I know that the union contract dictate a lot of the rules and helpers are seem as the lowest of the lows by both the drivers and mgmt of ups.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No it's the

It's the principle not the $40 or whatever after taxes but it meant that the driver didn't like me or talked :censored2: because I wasnt perfect to his standards. As I said I want to get a perm job with ups eventually drive in 2 years or so but from what I have read here the chance of seasonal helper staying on past dec 24th is less than 0.1%. I know that the union contract dictate a lot of the rules and helpers are seem as the lowest of the lows by both the drivers and mgmt of ups.
Do you have any proof that the driver said anything to anyone about you? Why all the GD speculation? FFS....most of us have or will have more hours than we want crammed down our throats by next week. Your incessant whining is a tad pathetic....do you need a tissue?

Last edited:

capers8

Dude, I already posted this. I'm a helper. I work with 5 or 6 other helpers. We were all told not to come in Wednesday, and we were also told we weren't needed for Black Friday. The driver didn't talk :censored2: about you. He probably doesn't even know your name, and he may have even forgotten you exist. Expect a call next week.

As far as getting hired when the season is over, just work hard and you'll get hired. That 0.1% number is pretty exaggerated, but the reason for it is that 99.9% of the helpers are terrible. Didn't you look around during orientation? Not exactly a bunch of astrophysicists. I read earlier that you haven't learned the DIAD yet. If you don't learn it you have a 0% chance of being rehired. Learn it, work hard, maybe quit this forum, and just relax. It's a long season, this was only week one.

MassWineGuy

You probably won't get hired for a while if at all. UPS hires so many temps for peak and calls so few of them back to actually do some work. Then when they call and the person got another job UPS wonders why it can't hire enough good people.

By the way, FedEx is paying temps $20 an hour to work peak.

PT Car Washer

You probably won't get hired for a while if at all. UPS hires so many temps for peak and calls so few of them back to actually do some work. Then when they call and the person got another job UPS wonders why it can't hire enough good people.

No kidding? $20/hr for PT work at FedEx? UPS is advertising $14/hr for seasonal workers then telling the applicants they are going to be hired as permanent PT hires for $10/hr.

new_upserMA

. I read earlier that you haven't learned the DIAD yet. If you don't learn it you have a 0% chance of being rehired. Learn it, work hard, maybe quit this forum, and just relax. It's a long season, this was only week one.

They didn't say anything about learning how to use the DIAD during orientation.. Should the helper ask the driver about learning to use the DIAD? or wouldn't it make them uncomfortable.. The DIADs are similar to the scanners at FedEx. Not exactly rocket science...

new_upserMA

No kidding? $20/hr for PT work at FedEx? UPS is advertising $14/hr for seasonal workers then telling the applicants they are going to be hired as permanent PT hires for $10/hr.

The job at FedEx is much harder and longer. the workers load the trucks then have to drive & deliver.. think about this 300 stops with 350 packages to be delivered, sometimes the workers didn't get home until 2am and then have to be back at terminal by 8am.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Seriously? That's what they're paying up there?

capers8

They didn't say anything about learning how to use the DIAD during orientation.. Should the helper ask the driver about learning to use the DIAD? or wouldn't it make them uncomfortable.. The DIADs are similar to the scanners at FedEx. Not exactly rocket science...
You'll see a lot of drivers here piss and moan about teaching the helpers to use the DIADs, but the truth is it really is in their best interest to do so. Going in with some knowledge will help a lot. They'll never admit it, but drivers aren't the best teachers in the world. They go too fast and use words we've never heard before. They do these steps every day, hundreds of times a day. It's like asking them how to breathe. They've been doing it so long they don't know how to explain it to a rookie.

I'm assuming you'll be using the DIAD 4. If not, all these steps are very similar on other DIADs. Probably all you'll ever do is DR packages (Driver Release, just drop them at someone's door) and sometimes get signatures. Both of which are pretty simple when you get the hang of it. I made some diagrams. It's tough to remember the order without actually doing it but I think these are correct.

To DR Packages:

DIAD4_DR.jpg

1. Press the barcode button and scan the package. You'll probably suck at it at first, but it'll come quickly.
2. Press the big down arrow. The big arrows are on the right of the barcodes, the little arrows are on the left. If something goes wrong during this whole sequence it's probably because you forgot to press the big down arrow.
3. The bottom right of the screen will have an option to "Deliver." Press the button just under this option.
4. A menu will come up with various locations for where you left the package. Use the number pad to select which location you left it.
5. The check mark button in the upper right of the keypad is the "Stop Complete" button. Press that to complete the stop (duh).

To Get a Signature:

DIAD4_Signature.jpg

1. Press the barcode button and scan the package.
2. Big down arrow. Get in the habit of scanning the package and pressing the big down arrow.
3. In the upper right of the key pad there's a button that looks like a hand holding a pen. That's the signature button, press it.
4. The button that looks like a big right arrow is the enter button, press it.
5. Have the customer sign the screen (it'll look upside to you, right side up to them).
6. Press the signature button again.
7. Ask the customer their last name and type it. The DIAD 4s suck because they have this stupid toggle button to toggle the letters on and off. It's in the upper left and looks kind of like a backwards Pac-man. When you press this an "ABC" will light up between the two barcode buttons. Make sure this is on before you type letters and off again before you type numbers (or need to use the B and friend functions but don't worry about those yet).
8. After you type the name press the enter button again (big right arrow).
9. A menu will come up on the screen asking where you delivered the package. Use the number pad to select the appropriate location.
10. Press the stop complete button (check mark).

Practice these in your head. You'll learn them very quickly when you actually get a chance to use the DIAD. Hopefully the driver will let you use one. It makes the job much better to be able to work as a team instead of just being a runner.

MassWineGuy

Seriously? That's what they're paying up there?

Yes, at least here in northeastern Mass. They started at $12 or so but no one was biting. Also, it's pretty much assured that folks will get eight hours a day of work.

No temps will be driving any FedEx vehicles. A lot of hours? Wow, what a drag. Time and a half on $20 an hour.

Capers, great post and diagrams on the DIAD. Very nice of you to take the time.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yes, at least here in northeastern Mass. They started at $12 or so but no one was biting. Also, it's pretty much assured that folks will get eight hours a day of work.

No temps will be driving any FedEx vehicles. A lot of hours? Wow, what a drag. Time and a half on $20 an hour.

Wow! That's crazy! That must be PO some of the permanent people.

MassWineGuy

Wow! That's crazy! That must be PO some of the permanent people.

I was tempted to apply, but 1) I'll still be working after peak and make more money; and 2) I get at least a few company benefits.

From what I can tell, FedEx and UPS are both equally terrified of being overwhelmed by peak. Hence these extreme measures. One day UPS may wake up to the real world and pay runners more than the poverty wage of 9.50 an hour.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You'll see a lot of drivers here piss and moan about teaching the helpers to use the DIADs, but the truth is it really is in their best interest to do so. Going in with some knowledge will help a lot. They'll never admit it, but drivers aren't the best teachers in the world. They go too fast and use words we've never heard before. They do these steps every day, hundreds of times a day. It's like asking them how to breathe. They've been doing it so long they don't know how to explain it to a rookie.

I'm assuming you'll be using the DIAD 4. If not, all these steps are very similar on other DIADs. Probably all you'll ever do is DR packages (Driver Release, just drop them at someone's door) and sometimes get signatures. Both of which are pretty simple when you get the hang of it. I made some diagrams. It's tough to remember the order without actually doing it but I think these are correct.

To DR Packages:

View attachment 20770

1. Press the barcode button and scan the package. You'll probably suck at it at first, but it'll come quickly.
2. Press the big down arrow. The big arrows are on the right of the barcodes, the little arrows are on the left. If something goes wrong during this whole sequence it's probably because you forgot to press the big down arrow.
3. The bottom right of the screen will have an option to "Deliver." Press the button just under this option.
4. A menu will come up with various locations for where you left the package. Use the number pad to select which location you left it.
5. The check mark button in the upper right of the keypad is the "Stop Complete" button. Press that to complete the stop (duh).

To Get a Signature:

View attachment 20773

1. Press the barcode button and scan the package.
2. Big down arrow. Get in the habit of scanning the package and pressing the big down arrow.
3. In the upper right of the key pad there's a button that looks like a hand holding a pen. That's the signature button, press it.
4. The button that looks like a big right arrow is the enter button, press it.
5. Have the customer sign the screen (it'll look upside to you, right side up to them).
6. Press the signature button again.
7. Ask the customer their last name and type it. The DIAD 4s suck because they have this stupid toggle button to toggle the letters on and off. It's in the upper left and looks kind of like a backwards Pac-man. When you press this an "ABC" will light up between the two barcode buttons. Make sure this is on before you type letters and off again before you type numbers (or need to use the B and friend functions but don't worry about those yet).
8. After you type the name press the enter button again (big right arrow).
9. A menu will come up on the screen asking where you delivered the package. Use the number pad to select the appropriate location.
10. Press the stop complete button (check mark).

Practice these in your head. You'll learn them very quickly when you actually get a chance to use the DIAD. Hopefully the driver will let you use one. It makes the job much better to be able to work as a team instead of just being a runner.
I don't mind teaching a helper learn the diad but why can't they do this during orientation? They teach all about safety, which is important, but neglect the fundamentals of delivering packages. Top that off with getting a different helper several time during peak and having to train each one, you can understand why drivers tend to be impatient with helpers.