Hired as a Seasonal Helper in Massachusetts

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't mind teaching a helper learn the diad but why can't they do this during orientation? They teach all about safety, which is important, but neglect the fundamentals of delivering packages. Top that off with getting a different helper several time during peak and having to train each one, you can understand why drivers tend to be impatient with helpers.

It totally sucks to waste time on route teaching a helper how to use a DIAD then they decide they don't want to work and you have to start all over training another helper. Some peaks I had to train 3 or 4 helpers. Many of them had never even seen a DIAD before. Their training was just watching a couple of safety videos. When you are trying to train a new helper it takes you longer than just doing it yourself and when you spend more time training than really delivering it's better to just do everything yourself without a helper.

capers8

I don't mind teaching a helper learn the diad but why can't they do this during orientation? They teach all about safety, which is important, but neglect the fundamentals of delivering packages. Top that off with getting a different helper several time during peak and having to train each one, you can understand why drivers tend to be impatient with helpers.
Because if a helper doesn't use three points of contact and falls, he sues UPS. If he doesn't know how to use the DIAD he just pisses off a driver :cool:.

But I didn't mean to convey any negativity towards drivers. I have all the respect in the world for them. I completely understand how frustrating it can be. It's pretty ridiculous that they send helpers out having never seen a DIAD before and act like they're doing the drivers a favor.

new_upserMA

Thanks Casper. The diad procedure is pretty similar to the FedEx scanner with driver release packages and signature. I will print out the diagram and let the driver know that I can use one at least for the driver release which makes up most of my area

new_upserMA

I really need the hours this week. Shouldn't be mentioning this on forum but taxes and dmv fees on FedEx truck I bought for peak are around $2500 in NYC plus inspection sticker. FedEx contractors pay all expenses for vehicles

MassWineGuy

I don't mind teaching a helper learn the diad but why can't they do this during orientation? ...

When I was in the orientation for seasonal runners, someone asked about learning the DIAD and the HR person said "The driver will teach you."

Re: the OP: I don't understand at all why anyone would invest in a FedEx Home business. No vacations, no benefits, a lot of expenses and grief. I'm very glad to be working for Express.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I really need the hours this week. Shouldn't be mentioning this on forum but taxes and dmv fees on FedEx truck I bought for peak are around $2500 in NYC plus inspection sticker. FedEx contractors pay all expenses for vehicles
I kind of like this. Working at UPS to pay for FedEx vehicles. I love the irony.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
2500? How much do helpers make an hour in your building? lol

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When I was in the orientation for seasonal runners, someone asked about learning the DIAD and the HR person said "The driver will teach you."

Re: the OP: I don't understand at all why anyone would invest in a FedEx Home business. No vacations, no benefits, a lot of expenses and grief. I'm very glad to be working for Express.
That HR person must also work in the phone center. They also tell customers that we pack their packages for them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

You were very grateful to be working at UPS last peak....let's see what next Christmas will bring!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I kind of like this. Working at UPS to pay for FedEx vehicles. I love the irony.

This isn't irony. This is poetic justice.

An alleged absentee owner of an HD route trying to be a helper (except, 'his' driver talked smack about him so he wasn't called back) expecting to make $2500 as a helper in order to pay taxes and fees for his HD truck.

Absolutely priceless!

MassWineGuy

You were very grateful to be working at UPS last peak....let's see what next Christmas will bring!

I genuinely was. But I'm happier this year.

My latest L.L. Bean catalog promises Chriastmas delivery on orders placed through Dec. 23rd. Let me see... Who has that contract again? Oh, right. Phew!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I genuinely was. But I'm happier this year.

My latest L.L. Bean catalog promises Chriastmas delivery on orders placed through Dec. 23rd. Let me see... Who has that contract again? Oh, right. Phew!
Working hard doesn't bother me....I'd work till noon everyday during peak if they asked me. Fat paychecks to stuff my 401k with...yeah baby!

MassWineGuy

I feel the same way, Bleedin'. I'll definitely be handling many Amazon shipments. Given my age and the late start, my 401(k) needs all it can get.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This isn't irony. This is poetic justice.

An alleged absentee owner of an HD route trying to be a helper (except, 'his' driver talked smack about him so he wasn't called back) expecting to make $2500 as a helper in order to pay taxes and fees for his HD truck.

Absolutely priceless!
I love how it's the driver's fault....not that maybe he just sucked at his helper job...lol. Blame everyone else, take responsibility for nothing! It's the American way! :runcirclsmiley2: