Hired off the street

Mustacheyouaquestion

60 minute lunch
So I am a little worried I might have made a bad decision. I have someone who is 30+ years seniority getting me in as a full time driver. Already passed the driving test, did the precourse work, and started training.

So the decision I made was to quit my full time job (a job I absolutely hated, a terrible career, but made a decent salary). I made that decision after talking with my friend who got me in, and another family friend who is 30+ years in as well. They said the center I am going to is in desperate need for ft drivers. With all of that I felt pretty secure in my decision, even with the pay cut I am taking to start.

Well now I have found this website, and everything I read about being hired off the street as a driver seems like I am going to get brought on, and then not be able to stick around, or just be kept seasonal or something like that. I consider myself a very hard worked, and really fast learner. You guys have me worried now!

I guess my question is....did I just make a terrible decision for me and my family?

Blah blah blah off the street hires make me sick.

Overpaid Union Thug

Lol few years back my center hired about 10 drivers off of the street.

Some places really have a hard time finding part timers that want to do
It.
That is rare in the Southern region. I'm sure it has happened though. Making $34/hr PLUS benefits, 401K, and a pension is too good to pass up in an area where the cost of living is lower.

By The Book

Our center is like this. None of the inside guys wanted the job, and those that signed the sheets either DQ'd out or wanted to go back to part time.
I do think the fact of part timers having to wait so long has had an impact on them wanting to drive. They have made adjustments because they had to I believe. They no longer look forward to it, or need it. So with that being said don't be surprised to see an uptick in off the street hires. The outside hire is a way for them to get a younger driver, so they don't have to move up a 35-40 year old part timer.

KOG72

I’m full of it
I do think the fact of part timers having to wait so long has had an impact on them wanting to drive. They have made adjustments because they had to I believe. They no longer look forward to it, or need it. So with that being said don't be surprised to see an uptick in off the street hires. The outside hire is a way for them to get a younger driver, so they don't have to move up a 35-40 year old part timer.
People working part time in our building our so use to what they do when they get called to go driving they cannot handle the work,only the temp drivers stay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Blah blah blah off the street hires make me sick.

Yawn.

Last I checked we all put our pants on one leg at a time. I somehow never got hung up on the whole off the street hire thing. People need to stop holding a grudge and get over it because it's not going to change.

...and those of us who were hired off the street really don't care what you "real" UPSers think...

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Yawn.

...and those of us who were hired off the street really don't care what you "real" UPSers think...
no one is saying you guys don't earn your paycheck everyweek. we all do. just a little annoying how upstste doesnt see how lucky he is being able to skip that little decade of part time work in order to get there. but you know, I don't really care anymore.