Hired off the street

minttoast

So I am a little worried I might have made a bad decision. I have someone who is 30+ years seniority getting me in as a full time driver. Already passed the driving test, did the precourse work, and started training.

So the decision I made was to quit my full time job (a job I absolutely hated, a terrible career, but made a decent salary). I made that decision after talking with my friend who got me in, and another family friend who is 30+ years in as well. They said the center I am going to is in desperate need for ft drivers. With all of that I felt pretty secure in my decision, even with the pay cut I am taking to start.

Well now I have found this website, and everything I read about being hired off the street as a driver seems like I am going to get brought on, and then not be able to stick around, or just be kept seasonal or something like that. I consider myself a very hard worked, and really fast learner. You guys have me worried now!

I guess my question is....did I just make a terrible decision for me and my family?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
So I am a little worried I might have made a bad decision. I have someone who is 30+ years seniority getting me in as a full time driver. Already passed the driving test, did the precourse work, and started training.

So the decision I made was to quit my full time job (a job I absolutely hated, a terrible career, but made a decent salary). I made that decision after talking with my friend who got me in, and another family friend who is 30+ years in as well. They said the center I am going to is in desperate need for ft drivers. With all of that I felt pretty secure in my decision, even with the pay cut I am taking to start.

Well now I have found this website, and everything I read about being hired off the street as a driver seems like I am going to get brought on, and then not be able to stick around, or just be kept seasonal or something like that. I consider myself a very hard worked, and really fast learner. You guys have me worried now!

I guess my question is....did I just make a terrible decision for me and my family?
In centers like mine at least, full-time drivers are here to stay. There's no such thing as seasonal full-time and if anyone is only to be kept seasonally they're hired as "reg temps" and considered part-time regardless of how much they drive until then.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

No stranger on the internet knows better than your friend who actually works at that location, its different everywhere. Quit stressing it won't do you any good at this point, you'll get enough of that when you start driving. Good luck.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

How did another driver pull enough strings to get you a job? I've heard of supervisors getting their friends son a job, or something like that...but as far as drivers getting their friend a job...would never happen at my hub...how old are you? And do you like the smell of vasoline?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Most of the people come here to bitch and let off steam.
  • UPS is a tough place to work.
  • Just do the best you can.
  • Learn the DIAD.
  • Get out and ride your area in off hours such as the weekend.
  • Get the methods down first and then try to work fast.
In a year, you'll be on here bitching like everyone else.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

UPS driver is not a job suited for everyone; you will soon discover that.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

While you were reading, did you happen to see where many part-timers work for years in order to claim the opportunity that has been gifted to you.

Make the best of it.

nystripe96

The biggest thing I've learned as a UPS driver when trying to make book is 1.Always show up to work on time. 3. Scratch your training route. 2. Don't get into an accident or have an injury. 3. Say 'YES' every time a supervisor needs you to do a pickup or help a driver. After you've made book your career is set, albeit a very tough career at that.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Nope. I just get tired of those people who say that anyone hired off the street has been given a gift.

I wasn't given anything. I was hired, in part, because I am a vet, and I have earned every penny that I have made ever since.
I'd say being spared ten years or more in this six day, work/no work, phone tag jerk-off fest like I'm in is kind of a gift.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Nope. I just get tired of those people who say that anyone hired off the street has been given a gift.

I wasn't given anything. I was hired, in part, because I am a vet, and I have earned every penny that I have made ever since.
I bet you get tired of hearing of how easy of a run you've had at ups compared to everyone else who had to earn their full time spot.

jr32bad

What area of the country did u get hired in , I got hired off the street 11years ago went right onto a route sat on it for 3 years by then I had enough seniority on the list to work every day . Every center has at least 3 people who like going home on the drop of the hat find them learn there routes . Now I am entering the next faze in ups as a feeder driver not high on list but not on q list work 5 days a week Ups is a hard company to work for there expectations of the package car drivers is ridiculous to many stops now a days all I can tell you is hang in there if want a good retirement great benefits and u will make a lot of money