Hired out of the military questions

Boondocksaint

I got hired as a seasonal driver. Served 7 years army work for the DOD for a few years. Spent 5 years of my life in the Middle East. I had 2 letter of recommendations from 25 year drivers and a military union rep backing me for full time. What are my chances of being kept on? During my on road training I had an Orion manger as my trainer. I thought that was odd. He told me I was hired full time. Nobody has said anything to me and I don't even know if I am doing this job well. Any advice, info, or knowledge anybody could drop on me I would appreciate it. I work hard and I don't play around. I just wanna know where I stand.

watdaflock?

First off, thank you for your service. As for getting hired, get contact info for the Union hall bosses and even the stewards at your hub. I'd say if you see union fee's being deducted from pay, you're hired.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, as a fellow vet, I would like to thank you for your service.

Here at UPS the lack of feedback, while frustrating, is actually a good thing, as they would be quick to tell you if you were not meeting their standards.

It sounds as though the Orion manager may be right.

P

pickup

Ups is committed to hiring veterans . Ups is part of Michelle Obama's initiative to have companies hire vets coming out of the services. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that a vet generally has a better work ethic than the average bear so it's good for business to hire them.

That much being said, they can only hire you if they need an extra body after peak. Your manager might have jumped the gun in saying you were hired full time. His intention might be that but it ain't a reality until you get enough time in. And that time isn't accrued during peak.

Good luck!

trickpony1

Ups is part of Michelle Obama's initiative to have companies hire vets coming out of the services.

First and foremost, Thank you Boondocksaint for your service.

Michelle's initiative? Really?

Employers have been hiring Vets long before Michelle and Barry sauntered into the scene. There are tax incentives and quota reasons for doing so as well as Vets are motivated and responsible employees.

There is a good chance the OP could be hired off the street due to:
-recent service;
-awarded a campaign ribbon and/or Armed Forces Service Medal and
-quota's and related laws.

The OP may want explore government jobs that won't beat him to death like a pkg car driver job will. The 5 point Vet preference could help him land a good job possibly related to his MOS. If the OP is disabled, the additional 5 point preference (10 point Vet) could further help with obtaining a government job.

The OP needs to be very concerned if he is offered a management position early in his involvement with UPS. There are numerous related threads on this forum expressing opinions about that.

Good luck.

P

pickup

First and foremost, Thank you Boondocksaint for your service.

Michelle's initiative? Really?

Employers have been hiring Vets long before Michelle and Barry sauntered into the scene. There are tax incentives and quota reasons for doing so as well as Vets are motivated and responsible employees.

Everything you said is true, but it got a lot truer

Remember that "voluntary" self disclosure form we were highly encouraged to fill out. UPS suddenly wanted a head count of its veterans. That's because they need numbers to show compliance with their pledge to hire more vets.

P

pickup

By the way, I am not a fan of Barry and his wife, but no matter how you slice it, it is an Obama administration initiative and since it lines up with one of the causes the First Lady has chosen to champion, I associated it with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Not to pee on the parade but I'd give your chances of being retained after peak Fulltime as very very slim. Even if you center has an opening in the 5:1 ratio UPS will look for a Minority Female to fill the position. It dosent matter how well you did,how well you are thought of,and your service in the military will not put you ahead of a minority female. Management will tell you ANYTHING during peak to squeeze as much out of you as they can
Not trying to be harsh,just being realistic

I;d suggest trying to get on part time and when you gain enough seniority bid to full time

Man Of Brown

There is a difference between full time and permanent. You were hired full time, for the season. The company is allowed to hire one out of six drivers from off the street. If they need another driver right now, which is unlikely, and the 1:6 slot is next then you have a shot.

I was a seasonal driver and then hired on the following summer. So if you did a good job and are interested keep watching the job postings online. As for now keep showing up ready to work until they tell you to stop. After that keep calling in to see if there is work. I think different areas have different seasonal dates. Some Dec 31. Some Jan 15.

Ms.PacMan

I got hired as a seasonal driver. Served 7 years army work for the DOD for a few years. Spent 5 years of my life in the Middle East. I had 2 letter of recommendations from 25 year drivers and a military union rep backing me for full time. What are my chances of being kept on? During my on road training I had an Orion manger as my trainer. I thought that was odd. He told me I was hired full time. Nobody has said anything to me and I don't even know if I am doing this job well. Any advice, info, or knowledge anybody could drop on me I would appreciate it. I work hard and I don't play around. I just wanna know where I stand.
Your chances for being hired as an off the street driver and really only as good as your timing unfortunately. As someone mentioned, new drivers are a 6:1 inside, outside ratio. Good luck though.

Boondocksaint

Nothing is for sure anymore. A lot of people have bitched and said I need to put in my time. Not to be a :censored2: but I believe I already did. 5 tours overseas I sure damn put in my time. People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. I am out of options if I don't get a full time position. Companies and corporations talk about how they love to hire veterans but from my experience I have gotten the :censored2: end of the stick. I have a damn good holy :censored2: resume and nobody cares. I'll wipe the sand out of my vagina now and drive on thanks for listening to my rant. If anybody knows how to help me out shoot me a message. Hooah

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nothing is for sure anymore. A lot of people have bitched and said I need to put in my time. Not to be a :censored2: but I believe I already did. 5 tours overseas I sure damn put in my time. People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. I am out of options if I don't get a full time position. Companies and corporations talk about how they love to hire veterans but from my experience I have gotten the :censored2: end of the stick. I have a damn good holy :censored2: resume and nobody cares. I'll wipe the sand out of my vagina now and drive on thanks for listening to my rant. If anybody knows how to help me out shoot me a message. Hooah

I used to hear the same when I was hired off the street and had a FT bid within 11 months.

Keep in mind that "you don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em."

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

That attitude will take you a long way. Not!
You are in the civilian world now.

If you think your time of service has been overlooked, or unappreciated, you should consider the Vietnam vets.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm in now way discounting your service,but let us not over look the Part Time Employees who have been with the company for years ,making not so great money,putting up with the insanity that is UPS all for THEIR shot at a Full Time Position. Their service should be just as,if not more valued and nothing personal but IMO they should get first shot at a position

No disrespect intended but if you already had 5 years in why didnt you stay another 15 and get a Military Pension?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm in now way discounting your service,but let us not over look the Part Time Employees who have been with the company for years ,making not so great money,putting up with the insanity that is UPS all for THEIR shot at a Full Time Position. Their service should be just as,if not more valued and nothing personal but IMO they should get first shot at a position

No disrespect intended but if you already had 5 years in why didnt you stay another 15 and get a Military Pension?

I had 7.5 in and was on the verge of reenlisting when we together decided that we did not want to raise our kids in a military environment.

Military pensions pale in comparison to Teamster pensions.