Hoffa on self driving trucks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Turn it off. Or make sure you use your signal before you change lanes.

It's worse in some cars that 'nudge' you back into your lane.

I do turn it off when I am driving just back and forth to work but leave it on when I am on the interstate.

It does not "nudge" me back in to my lane-----that would drive me crazy.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I think it depends on how hard you're crossing the line. Ease over and it'll ease you back. Cross it hard and it'll jerk you back.

If you come into even a gentle curve, it'll jerk you back with a vengeance.

Kinda scary playing with someone else's 60K Caddy. I turned it off right away.

@East coast navy you're really complicating this.

1. Sure some part timer or mechanic would be paid to pretrip and such.

2. No driver needed. In fact taxis are coming in the next few years that won't even have driver controls.

3.insurance has already been taken care of in the courts.

It really comes down to public acceptance. That is the largest hurdle by far.
Do you think Ups is just going to say "Hey, let's buy a crap lot of the driverless equipment and try it out with have no idea how it's going to play out". Like I said. It's alot of work, money and unknowns. The company just bought a crap load of equipment the past few years. Don't think it's on their radar anytime soon. Least at a larger scale. You might see some in the fleet soon, some meaning a couple. Like drones. I believe when I see it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Much like the conversion to alternate fuels, I think the conversion to autonomous vehicles will start with one symbolic run out of Hotlanta and then be slowly implemented over time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Much like the conversion to alternate fuels, I think the conversion to autonomous vehicles will start with one symbolic run out of Hotlanta and then be slowly implemented over time.
Unless someone comes up with. Way to retrofit old vehicles. After all think about how much this company spent on telematics.

542thruNthru

Anyone ever wonder what tyep of retaliation would be taken if this were to ever happen? I mean you already see people shooting up the work place for losing their job.

I can already imagine people purposely getting into accidents with the driverless vehicle. Multiple truck tires slashed a day. It would be crazy. Because if UPS can get rid of us than you know many other companies have already done the same thing.

Sorry to kinda of go off topic. Just always wondered how people would react to losing their livelihood.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Anyone ever wonder what tyep of retaliation would be taken if this were to ever happen? I mean you already see people shooting up the work place for losing their job.

I can already imagine people purposely getting into accidents with the driverless vehicle. Multiple truck tires slashed a day. It would be crazy. Because if UPS can get rid of us than you know many other companies have already done the same thing.

Sorry to kinda of go off topic. Just always wondered how people would react to losing their livelihood.
I hope you have managed to remain anonymous on this site?...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Nothing would happen. Technology has been replacing humans for centuries. Nothing like you talk of has ever happened to my knowledge.

542thruNthru

Nothing would happen. Technology has been replacing humans for centuries. Nothing like you talk of has ever happened to my knowledge.

That's true. Though look at Uber and the cab companies. That has gotten pretty violent at times. I have a few friends that drive for lyft and uber. Cabbies will try and get into minor accidents with them because the company will not let them drive if the vehicle isn't %100.

Not saying it would happen it's just food for thought.

DOK

I heard the interview while listening to a morning talkradio show. I had never heard Hoffa speak before. He seemed articulate, until the guy interviewing him asked him about self driving vehicles. To say it's never going to happen is ridiculous. That technology is here and doesn't necessarily replace a human job.

Self-Driving Trucks Will Actually Be Great For Truckers, For Now | Huffington Post

Self-driving semi hits the road

Self-driving trucks: what's the future for America's 3.5 million truckers?

Reminds me of the talk about drones making deliveries...