Hoffa on self driving trucks

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
From the article in the first post in this thread...

"I spoke with Jim Hoffa last week on a variety of topics, including the U.C. workers his union represents as well as his endorsement of Mrs. Clinton in the upcoming election and his support for a higher national minimum wage. There were no headlines to be had in his answers.

However, when asked if he was concerned about professional drivers losing their jobs as the auto industry rolls out more and more self-driving vehicles, Hoffa raised more than a few eyebrows.

“It’s not going to happen”, said Hoffa.

As in period.

Despite the federal government issuing the first set of national standards for self-driving vehicles and the investment in self-driving technology by trucking industry giants Freightliner, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz and many others, the head of the Teamsters Union insists its all a bunch of hooey.

And I suppose the Internet is just a passing fancy, too."
Yeah I read the article. Like I said an old man with his head in the sand.

LeadBelly

Banned
You do have a lot of good union knowledge to share. We may not agree on the election but..... you could help many of the newbies out with your knowledge.

Peace.
Thanks for your kind words. I will tell you this one last time. You are one of the only reasons that I come to this site. You are an awesome character on this forum. God bless

LeadBelly

Banned
Exactly. Which is why I'd join a site that LB started. Knows his stuff, I'm just not sure this site is the right venue.
It's been proposed already. I have the contacts and resources. I'd rather serve the members of my local. They are the reason I do this chit. That and Kenny. I help real people. I put my career on the line for real people. I have a major cyber footprint. Having a site like this one isn't of interest to me.

Here is how it would go down to get the trucks to go operational in the US on a large scale:

1. If you are going to have a no driver tractor trailers, you are still going to need someone to pre trip and post all the equipment.

2. There is going to have to be a driver that is going to need a cdl to drive the tractor in case it goes off course and needs to be operated. It would be hard to have a good system for directions when things go wrong for the computer. Closed roads and highways, low height underpasses, dead ends, wrong turns and wrong ways. The list goes on. You would have to have a technology revamp on the DOT signs and the regulation laws.

3. Then it's the insurance problem. When company's insure their employees to operate equipment, it's on a payment scale that has been introduced based on statistics. You will not have that until the system has been test on a large scale. It might work ok in the mid west but citys or NJ. Good luck with that.

You might see this system a little bit on a small scale. On a large scale, it looks like a dead end or at least not for our life time. Like the drones. US GOV. might have some issues with this one. I'm not worried.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

@East coast navy you're really complicating this.

1. Sure some part timer or mechanic would be paid to pretrip and such.

2. No driver needed. In fact taxis are coming in the next few years that won't even have driver controls.

3.insurance has already been taken care of in the courts.

It really comes down to public acceptance. That is the largest hurdle by far.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Suddenly... Back on topic.. :D
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/17/self-driving-trucks-impact-on-drivers-jobs-us
Self-driving trucks: what's the future for America's 3.5 million truckers?

Driverless trucks will be safer and cheaper than their human-controlled counterparts, but that doesn’t mean America’s 3.5 million professional truck drivers are giving up to the machines without a fight.

Across the US, truckers collectively haul more than 10bn tons of freight each year, but it’s a tough job – the hours are long and lonely, the pay is low and the lifestyle is sedentary. In many ways it’s a job ripe for disruption; robots v truckers.

To those who believe it won’t happen to their industry or company, Stern has these words of comfort: “Maybe they are right. But when you look at the mining trucks on the roads or the convoy driving across Europe, I wouldn’t bet against it.”

LeadBelly

Banned
I'm no lawyer but what I have read is that to be legally a public figure an individual has to be known by the general public. 300k teamsters have heard of him, not the general public.
I just realized you totally dissed flip flop Freddy. 300 thousand people don't have a clue who the hell he is. Lol.

LeadBelly

Banned
Suddenly... Back on topic.. :D
Self-driving trucks: what's the future for America's 3.5 million truckers?

Driverless trucks will be safer and cheaper than their human-controlled counterparts, but that doesn’t mean America’s 3.5 million professional truck drivers are giving up to the machines without a fight.

Across the US, truckers collectively haul more than 10bn tons of freight each year, but it’s a tough job – the hours are long and lonely, the pay is low and the lifestyle is sedentary. In many ways it’s a job ripe for disruption; robots v truckers.

To those who believe it won’t happen to their industry or company, Stern has these words of comfort: “Maybe they are right. But when you look at the mining trucks on the roads or the convoy driving across Europe, I wouldn’t bet against it.”
The GOP and top 1% want to get rid of all good paying jobs. When all of these are gone people will take what the need from these people in order to survive. No jobs with a future will create more crime.

You do have a lot of good union knowledge to share. We may not agree on the election but..... you could help many of the newbies out with your knowledge.

Peace.

I agree.. It's nice to come on here and get and give info to one another. It's also good to talk union politics especially if we disagree. I prefer that because I can debate with the best of them for my age.. It's nice to answer any questions in a debate and if I'm up to date I'm in a good position. The older I get the slower working and more knowledgeable about the ups contract I get.. This is a bad combo for Ups...

I agree.. It's nice to come on here and get and give info to one another. It's also good to talk union politics especially if we disagree. I prefer that because I can debate with the best of them for my age.. It's nice to answer any questions in a debate and if I'm up to date I'm in a good position. The older I get the slower working and more knowledgeable about the ups contract I get.. This is a bad combo for Ups...
Tell me about it.
I should change my name to turtle...lol

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
@East coast navy you're really complicating this.

1. Sure some part timer or mechanic would be paid to pretrip and such.

2. No driver needed. In fact taxis are coming in the next few years that won't even have driver controls.

3.insurance has already been taken care of in the courts.

It really comes down to public acceptance. That is the largest hurdle by far.

There is still the problem of rain, fog and snow.

The sensors and cameras in use now don't work very well in those conditions.

Brownslave688

There is still the problem of rain, fog and snow.

The sensors and cameras in use now don't work very well in those conditions.
Yeah but this is something that's only seriously been worked on for a few years. And I expect it to ramp up greatly over the next 5.

I don't see this as a major hurdle but I could be wrong.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yeah but this is something that's only seriously been worked on for a few years. And I expect it to ramp up greatly over the next 5.

I don't see this as a major hurdle but I could be wrong.

I don't know if your new ride has lane assist (or whatever GM calls it) or not, but all the current systems need to see the painted lines to work.

If the lines aren't there, or are obscured, no workee.