Home for Lunch?

Overpaid Union Thug

For me one of the best things that can happen while driving is to be on a route that includes the area you live in because you can take your lunch at home. Which is what I'm doing now. :) It's a break from fast food or having to worry about packing a lunch. It's even better when I remember to call my wife ahead of time so she can cook something and it'll be ready when i get there. The only thing that sucks is sometimes I sit down and get to relaxed and it's hard to get going again. I used to avoid comming home for lunch but now I like it.

ImpactedTSG

The best thing about going home for lunch is catching your wife with one of her girlfriends and having them ask you to join in. :thumbup1: Not that it has ever happened to or anything, but it sure would be a reason to call off the rest of the afternoon.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Even better than going home for lunch is having to wait at the end of the day for letter boxes on your route. Then I go back home for dinner! And dinner always tastes better at time and a half.

retired2000

i use to habe a route where i could go home for lunch. i had a ride along one hot summer day. sat the sup over the cool air vent. we stayed there for 1 1/2 hours. even stopped back for break.

SmithBarney

... And dinner always tastes better at time and a half.
Dinner tastes better at dinner time when its still hot and not wrapped up in the fridge... ;)

I've taken many lunches at home.. it really is the "cats meow"
perfect for getting ready for the next 8 hours of work..(seriously
took lunch at noon and still had 8 hrs of resi's left)

tups

The best thing about lunch at home is the swimming pool!!! Lately during this weather, at the end of the day before going in, there are 3 or 4 trucks parked on the street in front of my house and we're all in the pool in our brown shorts cooling off. After two or three days of this our sup even asked why drivers in my town looked so cool at the end of a 95 degree day. We just tell him not to worry, and what he don't know wont hurt him. Just know that we got it done and everything will be fine.

upsdude

I stay on my route for that very reason, going home for lunch. It’s also nice sometimes to take a quick shower and change into a fresh uniform. The pool? No way, I’d be done for the day!

Upslady20

Apparently you don't have the GPS turned on in your diad boards yet. Ours is activiated so I would be very leary to ever leave my area. I never have in the past without permission and I should would not with them knowing where I am every second. I do live on the way back to the center so I can stop at my house and eat dinner before heading in.

over9five

Staff member
"I may not wake up from my nap after a sandwhich."

Christ, that's my biggest fear! Always set that cell phone alarm!

(Oops, is "Christ" OK???? Sure would hate my post deleted. I did not mean to offend anyone)

moreluck

golden ticket member
OVER......stop the back pedaling......it's not your normal cool self !!

Say whatever you want & we'll attack if necessary. :)

Sammie

Yup. Before we moved and when Mr. here was in packages, he came home for lunch. The center also used our garage during peak as a place to store excess packages while the drivers returned to the center for more volume. (Not to worry, everything was always delivered the same day)..

over9five

Staff member
"The center also used our garage during peak as a place to store excess packages while the drivers returned to the center for more volume."

We had a driver helper do that one peak.

"(Not to worry, everything was always delivered the same day).."

However, he did not do that! Didn't have enough time. He would deliver them on the weekend!

(Oops, was that information supposed to get out? Hope I didn't offend anyone. Hope my post isn't deleted)

over9five

Staff member
"OVER......stop the back pedaling...."

LOL, More, didn't see that! OK, I'll stop.

(I didn't offend you, did I More? Please don't ask for my post to be deleted...)

HAHAHAHA!

hdkappler

becareful about going off route for lunch.about 5 years ago a driver in the east peoria,il center drove off route to go home to see his wife because she had gotten out of the hosiptal and some one told on him he got fired.but later got his job back.course the c.m. at the time had it in for him like he did all east peoria drivers he isn't at that center anymore which a lot of drivers are happy.that c.m.they hate his guts.

SmithBarney

Yup. Before we moved and when Mr. here was in packages, he came home for lunch. The center also used our garage during peak as a place to store excess packages while the drivers returned to the center for more volume. (Not to worry, everything was always delivered the same day)..

Sounds like a driver I know... 3 story townhome.
P1000 packed top to bottom front to back,
had to unload like 500 pieces in order to work...
WHY a sup would let this even happen(loading this extreme
and allowing unloading at a home)
is beyond me..

Cementups

Box Monkey
Quite a few years ago for peak, when i still lived at my mom's home, I started dropping stuff in her garage to make space in my P5. It would have over 200 stops in it including Dells and Omaha coolers. The one day it was packed to the gills. I told my boss that my first stop was going to be at my house to dump half the load and I would come back and get it later. It sarted working out that other driver's would then use her garage (with her permision of course). When I would dump half the load I would always seperate everything into neighborhoods so it would be easier to pick up later. Wroked out very well that way in case another driver was coming to help me I would just tell them to go to my mom's and take such-and-such neighborhood(s). They used my mom's garage for 3 years witht he understanding that everything had to be out by 6p.m. so my mom could prk in there at night. some drivers even took advantage of the fact that there was a toilet just inside the basement door and used the facilities while they were there. It all ended though when my mom finally had a garage door opener installed and we didn't want to be giving out the code to the world.