Honest opinion needed on going from seasonal DH to Package Handler

Brotherrr

So I'm a seasonal driver helper this year. The work is physical, as I expected it to be, and I admit I've come home some days pretty sore. I show up on time, don't complain, and try to hustle. My driver has told me I'm doing a good job and said he'd put in a good word for me if I was thinking of trying to get something permanent inside the building.
UPS benefits (particularly healthcare) are amazing; Obamacare has made the ones we currently have thru my husband's employer pretty bad. Our costs have probably tripled since it was passed. It's a source of a lot of worry and financial strain for me personally.
To get down to the question: I'm a fairly petite female (120 lbs). I'm not sure I would be welcome inside the building because obviously most people (men) would be stronger than me. I don't blame them for wanting to hire young strong males; it makes sense. I don't want to be the weakest link so to speak; I dont want to be the jerk who cant do the job and who someone else always has to help out. Yet I'm tempted to at least try to get permanent work there. Would you guys advise for or against this? I will not be offended by truthful answers. And yes I know the odds of me being hired permanently arent that great to begin with, being just a seasonal DH. Thanks!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Go for it, it doesn't hurt to try. It may take a few months to get hired though. UPS always has a slow period after Christmas with layoffs. We were told this morning that the company is planning on a lot of layoffs right now. It takes nine months before you could get insurance benefits. There are plenty of women working inside jobs, I have a woman smaller than you loading my package car. I actually think that women do a better job than men at that.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
So I'm a seasonal driver helper this year. The work is physical, as I expected it to be, and I admit I've come home some days pretty sore. I show up on time, don't complain, and try to hustle. My driver has told me I'm doing a good job and said he'd put in a good word for me if I was thinking of trying to get something permanent inside the building.
UPS benefits (particularly healthcare) are amazing; Obamacare has made the ones we currently have thru my husband's employer pretty bad. Our costs have probably tripled since it was passed. It's a source of a lot of worry and financial strain for me personally.
To get down to the question: I'm a fairly petite female (120 lbs). I'm not sure I would be welcome inside the building because obviously most people (men) would be stronger than me. I don't blame them for wanting to hire young strong males; it makes sense. I don't want to be the weakest link so to speak; I dont want to be the jerk who cant do the job and who someone else always has to help out. Yet I'm tempted to at least try to get permanent work there. Would you guys advise for or against this? I will not be offended by truthful answers. And yes I know the odds of me being hired permanently arent that great to begin with, being just a seasonal DH. Thanks!
odds are slim to none

Brotherrr

Go for it, it doesn't hurt to try. It may take a few months to get hired though. UPS always has a slow period after Christmas with layoffs. We were told this morning that the company is planning on a lot of layoffs right now. It takes nine months before you could get insurance benefits. There are plenty of women working inside jobs, I have a woman smaller than you loading my package car. I actually think that women do a better job than men at that.
Thank you for your reply. I did read that it can take a while to get hired on, if you even do. I know the odds are not great and that there would be a wait. Are they doing more layoffs than they normally do this year?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

he’s just saying that so you run to the house faster , a driver putting a good word in for a helper means nothing..

Wrong answer......thanks for playing.

I have been able to get three of my helpers hired on after Peak. One of them is still driving today.

I guess it depends upon the driver in question.

Brotherrr

he’s just saying that so you run to the house faster , a driver putting a good word in for a helper means nothing..
I see. Well I do think it was a genuine offer but if you say it means nothing, you would know more than I do, being an actual permanent employee. Thanks for your honesty.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for your reply. I did read that it can take a while to get hired on, if you even do. I know the odds are not great and that there would be a wait. Are they doing more layoffs than they normally do this year?

Presently we don't know how bad or for how long layoffs will happen. That depends on how fast business picks up. Where I am we seemed to be overstaffed. Our HR does ask us drivers if our Helpers did a good job. I have had eight of my Helpers rehired over the years. One became a driver and two were promoted into management.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I got my helper from last year hired here in February when they specifically asked us for references. He’s a FT UPS employee now, 22.4....pretty cool.

Zowert

Depends where you’re at. I hounded management to get my helper (last year) a job inside. He’s been working the small sort for seven months now.

They probably won’t take you in right after peak, but if you’re patient there’s a decent chance you’ll find work inside. A driver vouching for you is hit or miss, your chance of getting hired could be the same if you simply applied online.

This is from my experience. It varies from center to center. Best of luck to you.

Depends where you’re at. I hounded management to get my helper (last year) a job inside. He’s been working the small sort for seven months now.

They probably won’t take you in right after peak, but if you’re patient there’s a decent chance you’ll find work inside. A driver vouching for you is hit or miss, your chance of getting hired could be the same if you simply applied online.

This is from my experience. It varies from center to center. Best of luck to you.
My building seems to hire PT year round. Always seeing new faces every couple weeks. The biggest problem is keeping new hires for longer then a month. Too many easier jobs that pay just as much and offer more hours.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
All you can do is put an app and use your driver as a reference, if they hire you they hire. Your size dont really matter much, you either can do the job or you cant. That is about it

What'dyabringmetoday???

We don't generally see any females that small up this way.

Brotherrr

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I really do appreciate it. It sounds like it really is a YMMV thing. At any rate, it has been a good seasonal job for me and I was glad UPS gave me a chance to do the job (though it seems anyone with a pulse could qualify haha).
One last question: If I were to some day get a job inside the building, would they try to eventually find a job that suits me? In other words, if I did have trouble with really heavy items, is there a job inside that is somewhat easier physically? Is that what small sorts is?