Hour Break vs accidents...they ARE related

5yearsleft

They have implemented the "1 hour break if you go over 8 hours" several times in the last 4 years at our station. We are told it's a directive from the VP for our district. The managers tell us that stops per hour go up significantly when they do this. (because people are running their butts off & working on their breaks!) But if freight is late (about once or twice a week lately?) then they throw the rule out the window. How convenient!! If I end up taking an hour break, I just go into slow mode.

Sniper

Thank you all. The "rule" at our station is over 7:59 mandatory hour break, and no break in the last hour. No exceptions, no excuses...drop to the next route beside you because "stop counts" are way down. Of course the accident/incident levels have skyrocketed due to the new policy. The desired outcome is achieved, reduce the hours, reduce the delivery window, add unnecessary pressure to get the job done and make the outbound pull. Several routes in our station drive 50 miles to make the first stop of the day. Of course service is suffering, morale is in the sewer and they wonder why accidents have gone through the roof. Our station is composed mostly of 15+ year vets. Most of us have seen it all and done it all, but yet, despite the changes over the years we still bleed purple and we try our best to take care of our customers.

It is very aggravating when the "bean counters" set us up for failure before we even start the truck in the morning.

They have tried this at our station before and it did not work. It's not working very well now but the policy is still in place. I just hope no one gets seriously injured or killed because of the "numbers/budget".

It will be an interesting peak...to say the least. Please be careful. When we physically bleed it won't be purple.

Guapo

Thank you all. The "rule" at our station is over 7:59 mandatory hour break, and no break in the last hour. No exceptions, no excuses...drop to the next route beside you because "stop counts" are way down. Of course the accident/incident levels have skyrocketed due to the new policy. The desired outcome is achieved, reduce the hours, reduce the delivery window, add unnecessary pressure to get the job done and make the outbound pull. Several routes in our station drive 50 miles to make the first stop of the day. Of course service is suffering, morale is in the sewer and they wonder why accidents have gone through the roof. Our station is composed mostly of 15+ year vets. Most of us have seen it all and done it all, but yet, despite the changes over the years we still bleed purple and we try our best to take care of our customers.

It is very aggravating when the "bean counters" set us up for failure before we even start the truck in the morning.

They have tried this at our station before and it did not work. It's not working very well now but the policy is still in place. I just hope no one gets seriously injured or killed because of the "numbers/budget".

It will be an interesting peak...to say the least. Please be careful. When we physically bleed it won't be purple.

I hadn't really thought of the reduced delivery window...all that has meant is me and the guys in my loop are having more SO lates than ever.

mitchel

this may be the wrong thread for this question..but anyways..... I had to do a route today where my last sos was almost 1500. I started at 0600. last p1 was 1027, then p2 had me doing 73 before sos ended. is there any inside fedex policy that dictates this is wrong? I took one hour lunch at 1505 to come back to do 11 more. whats the point of an hour? I called the reg guy who does the route...he was like...dude, I don't follow dra...IM a swing driver I have to, but friend this taking an hour lunch after 1500

hypo hanna

this may be the wrong thread for this question..but anyways..... I had to do a route today where my last sos was almost 1500. I started at 0600. last p1 was 1027, then p2 had me doing 73 before sos ended. is there any inside fedex policy that dictates this is wrong? I took one hour lunch at 1505 to come back to do 11 more. whats the point of an hour? I called the reg guy who does the route...he was like...dude, I don't follow dra...IM a swing driver I have to, but friend this taking an hour lunch after 1500

Best thing to do is follow DRA and work as directed. This would include taking your break in the middle of your day. If this results in late SOS and P2, so be it. Just because the regular driver chooses to ignore DRA, doesn't mean you should.

Guapo

Best thing to do is follow DRA and work as directed. This would include taking your break in the middle of your day. If this results in late SOS and P2, so be it. Just because the regular driver chooses to ignore DRA, doesn't mean you should.

Exactly... I eat from 12-1 every day follow dra and whatever happens...happens.

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

Mitchel, come to Ground. I have colleagues who make about 37-40k per year salary. They work 6-2, including any lunch break they want, or none. No bennies, but also no micro managing. Just don't run anyone over and your job is secure. People have low expectations for ground, so there is lots os latitude to make silly mistakes.

mitchel

Mitchel, come to Ground. I have colleagues who make about 37-40k per year salary. They work 6-2, including any lunch break they want, or none. No bennies, but also no micro managing. Just don't run anyone over and your job is secure. People have low expectations for ground, so there is lots os latitude to make silly mistakes.
lol. I almost thought about ground several times...but I still made almost 60k last year as a swing driver, and im not even topped out. it sucks most of the times now, but thank god I don't have kids and my house is paid off. I can put up with the crap, just pisses me off that they expect me to take a lunch at 1500...I am however taking hannas advice from now on...taking a break at 1300 regardless of the route assigned. if this gets me fired..then ground will be looking good

mitchel

I guess my point/question was..isn't there a fedex policy that states you cant go that long without a break.. in this case I worked from 6 am until 1500 pm without one. I thought there was one that states you cant do that, I may be wrong. anyone know?

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

@Ground... There was a policy here in place but it was just reneged. No one paid any attention to it. All of the drivers have 40+ minute lapses waiting for PUPS

Sniper

Wow...60k....been there 21+ years and topped out and never gotten close to that... congrats but I know you EARNED every penny as a swing/cover driver.

As stated above...take the full hour in the middle of the day and let the lates fall where they may....that is the only way. If everyone did this one of two things would happen, cut support routes in...or the hour break policy would go away, just like it will in December. Be safe.

hypo hanna

I guess my point/question was..isn't there a fedex policy that states you cant go that long without a break.. in this case I worked from 6 am until 1500 pm
without one. I thought there was one that states you cant do that, I may be wrong. anyone know?
i
​ts not FedEx policy, its DOT regulations.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I guess my point/question was..isn't there a fedex policy that states you cant go that long without a break.. in this case I worked from 6 am until 1500 pm without one. I thought there was one that states you cant do that, I may be wrong. anyone know?

I have been told by management forever, that policy is that we must take a break between our fourth and sixth work hour. I haven't seen the policy though. Of course they NEVER enforce that and look the other way when you don't. You can look it up yourself in the computer under Policy and Procedures. Just print a copy and if they say anything, show them the policy in black and white. That will shut them up.

overflowed

Your question depends on your state law. Look yours up. Some states you have to, no exception but to take a break before 5 or 6 hours. Some you can take a break anytime during the day. Depends on your state laws with your concern.

whenIgetthere

lol. I almost thought about ground several times...but I still made almost 60k last year as a swing driver, and im not even topped out. it sucks most of the times now, but thank god I don't have kids and my house is paid off. I can put up with the crap, just pisses me off that they expect me to take a lunch at 1500...I am however taking hannas advice from now on...taking a break at 1300 regardless of the route assigned. if this gets me fired..then ground will be looking good

As a swing myself, when I sign on to dispatch in the morning, whatever the time listed as lunch break on the signed on screen is when I take my break. If I have lates, tough, I leave it up to the manager on the belt I may be working that day to figure it out. WAD.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As a swing myself, when I sign on to dispatch in the morning, whatever the time listed as lunch break on the signed on screen is when I take my break. If I have lates, tough, I leave it up to the manager on the belt I may be working that day to figure it out. WAD.

A perfect example of WAD (taking the break as directed by the PowerPad screen)/ Bravo Zulu!