How about a 40.0 list instead of a 9.5 list...

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
This isn’t really a 40 hour a week job. Don’t know why anyone wants to eliminate overtime because if it actually goes away, which I highly doubt, then people will start to complain about getting less money. Others elsewhere that work 11-12 a day I get it. That needs to be handled but here where I’m at I work 8-9 hours everyday and I’m fine with it.
Only exception is Wednesday.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
you are an insufferable old man. you seem to get your rocks off from belittling people on this forum. may i suggest buying a pocket pusillanimous and utilizing it daily, it will help that tension you feel. If you're married, get a girlfriend since your wife clearly isn't taking care of you.
He's a NJ simp

DriverNerd

How about punching in first and being on the clock to get your diad, call tags, follow ups, etc, then go to your truck, then the pcm? There’s a lot we do unpaid in the morning to be at pcm at start time.
I grab my DIAD and punch in then put my personal stuff (cooler, etc) in the truck. Put my DIAD in my pouch and play on my phone until start time. After PCM I get all my supplies for the day and leave. I don't do anything off the clock. No call tags, no supplies, no totes/bags, nothing.

FromOffTheStreets

Its different for everyone.
Essentially if you have kids that play a bunch of sports or do other activities. Or you want to take part in things outside of work then you push for an 8 hour workday. Multiple people have left because of this and quite a few more will leave in the future because of it. The only exception are those who are in with mgmt & receive "free passes" to get off for the events.

If you have no life outside of work or your kids have no talent then you have no need for an 8 hour workday so you stick around & degrade the guys that only want 8 hours. The other guys that stick around are the multiple divorcees.

I always tell the guys with kids, pay off all of your debt so that you can leave when you need to.

noril

Completely agree. 40 hours would be great. If others want more than that then post a sign up sheet for overtime work.
Most drivers think 40 is enough work, if you want 48 or more than you can sign up for that.
Thank you for these posts. You and I seem to be thinking very much alike on this issue.

I didn't want OP at the start of this thread to be longer than it already was, even though I could have said more...
$41.52 per hour X 40 hours per week X 52 weeks = more than $80,000 per year gross earnings... That's a reasonable sum of money on which to be living IMO. I remember once hearing an anecdote in which some dad eventually came to lament that he struggled so hard trying to provide for his kids all the things that he DIDN'T have growing up, that in the process he ended up failing to provide for them some even more important things that he DID have growing up...

I believe we are all basically the top experts on our own situations, so I have absolutely no desire here to try and hold back people who want some amount of overtime, whatever that amount is. I am just saying that it should be those people who want the overtime that should be the ones filling out a special request form. The "default" setting should be that we are "working to live, not living to work." 40 hours is considered a standard full-time work week. Since when has asking to have ones work week essentially be around 40 hours become a sign of laziness or weakness?

noril

You want the reward for working more than 40 hours to be an unpaid day off? Lmfaoooo. How long you worked here little guy?
No one would HAVE TO sign on to this 40.0 list I am proposing, therefore the extra unpaid day off is basically OPTIONAL... You want the OT...go for it...

As I said toward the beginning of the OP, I have been with UPS for over 23 years now. Your question suggests to me that you didn't read the OP with much care or thought...

My point is that if someone is seeking a better work-life balance by trying to cut back on the amount of overtime, than throwing some extra cash at that person to make up for ongoing unwanted overtime is not the solution we should be settling for in this new contract.

HavenoEDD

A few may not be aware that our current CEO had some success with her stint at Hone depot because she did a few things…one of them was ensuring the 40 hour work week went away.
39.5 hours, you punched out immediately or weren’t paid.
Her run at Home Depot was felt by every employee..the ones that were left anyhow. Her outsourcing HR, removing all jobs seen as unnecessary, minimizing management positions and letting service standards drop were great for shareholders…but it did much for showing how easy it is to turn full time work into part time/gig work.
Teamsters have to stand together. She is her plan and if it wasn’t for our contracts, she would have had her way by now.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

How about punching in first and being on the clock to get your diad, call tags, follow ups, etc, then go to your truck, then the pcm? There’s a lot we do unpaid in the morning to be at pcm at start time.
You don’t have to show up early to do that. I walk in exactly at start, miss the PCM everyday because they start it too early. I’m still punching in in the office while it’s going on. Then grab the tags, check the computer, walk to the car, put my bag away and get my water ready. My time card always shows me one or two minutes late because I wait until exactly start time to punch in. Drove them nuts for about three days they’ve never said a word to me about it since. Just have to get everyone else to do it too.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I keep hearing these horror stories about guys being slammed all the time. I seriously haven’t gotten overtime since summer Covid peak even the last two peaks the only OT I got was from Saturday’s. I picked a new trip with a late letterbox just to get the OT from it and so I got guaranteed time. All the trips around me are cut every other day. None of the covers or 22.4s are working, months now. They call me at least three times a week asking me if I want the day. 8 hours aren’t honored, but they will give you the day. They’re cutting so much now that we are working late and going out heavy but it’s still less than a 9.5 day. Nobody can be pleased on this issue. Either it’s how dare they make us work so much or how dare they take all the overtime away.

noril

And the ones who only want 8 that are under five years, I really would not care if they quit. This job probably is for isn't for them.
I have met people who I don't think really want to work any hours and those are NOT the kind of people I like being around. You obviously know the people you are thinking of far better than I do, but I would remind you that 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week has been considered "standard" for a full-time job, in large part thanks to the hard work of labor unions over time.
OK come on I’m truly not understanding this rant. Here’s the thing that I have a problem with when you take the job you see people out late at night and you also are aware that they force employees sometimes to work on Saturdays and then you get the job in the beginning. You love the overtime then we get fat and sassy and now we complain about working overtime. It’s no different than a teacher they go to school for several years, knowing that they don’t get paid well and then they get the job and then a couple years later they’re wanting to strike and not go to work due to the fact that they want more money what gives here you know what you’re getting into when you take the job, so why complain after the fact truly don’t understand for the record. I’ve been doing this job since 1987 so I’ve seen a lot but the current workforce in the last 10 years is pathetic. Now I understand there have to be an equal median, but either way you can’t be surprised that you’re forced to work overtime when you take the job and know it.
This isn’t really a 40 hour a week job. Don’t know why anyone wants to eliminate overtime because if it actually goes away, which I highly doubt, then people will start to complain about getting less money. Others elsewhere that work 11-12 a day I get it. That needs to be handled but here where I’m at I work 8-9 hours everyday and I’m fine with it.
I am not sure what part you consider to be a rant. That is certainly not the way I intended my OP to be seen... This is contract negotiation time and the union has sought the input of the rank and file. Many other people have complained about excessive, unwanted overtime and I have tried to present a workable solution here with the hope that an idea will work its way up...

I get that you have to accept certain challenges or discomforts which simply come with some particular job. I understand that long haul truck drivers need to accept that they will spend days away from home at a time. Also, driving for UPS will always be a different, grittier experience than say working the front desk at a doctor's office, and there is absolutely no language that can be written into our UPS-Teamster contract to make that unchangeable reality otherwise, but I do believe that at least most drivers SHOULD be able to have 40 hour a week jobs at UPS, IF THEY SO WANTED, at least for most of the year. If someone's ideal is working 8-9 hours per day, I am fine with that too. I have no desire to impose a fix on something which someone doesn't view as broken. Ditto for the person who has concluded that 11-12 hours is what ultimately works best for him.

I want to say again what I said in my OP: As best I remember from recently looking at the package car driver rosters at the hub out of which I work, approximately 10% of the people on the lists are out longer term due to some injury. I strongly suspect that this level of driver injury occurs as a result of all the overtime full time package car drivers have typically had to put in all throughout the year and that we would all be better off - rank and file workers and the corporation - if full-time drivers at least had an easy option of working right around the standard 40-hour work week and getting the off time to rest and recover properly in order to stay safe and in good health.

On a more personal level, after spending close to four years as a preloader, I went on to become a part-time air driver nearly 20 years ago where I have chosen to stay and it has worked out for me so far. One reason among others I have not wanted to go full time is because of all the overtime I know I would be required to put in whether I wanted to or not. I can list in my mind plenty of people who went full time package from part time air driving only to then find themselves getting injured after say 1 to 4 years. Some of those drivers eventually took some settlement and left UPS altogether. It is my thinking that if their hours hadn't been quite so long, they would have managed as full-time drivers just fine...

noril

A few may not be aware that our current CEO had some success with her stint at Hone depot because she did a few things…one of them was ensuring the 40 hour work week went away.
39.5 hours, you punched out immediately or weren’t paid.
Her run at Home Depot was felt by every employee..the ones that were left anyhow. Her outsourcing HR, removing all jobs seen as unnecessary, minimizing management positions and letting service standards drop were great for shareholders…but it did much for showing how easy it is to turn full time work into part time/gig work.
Teamsters have to stand together. She is her plan and if it wasn’t for our contracts, she would have had her way by now.
Just curious, was there some benefit to keeping people just under as opposed to a bit over 40 hours per week?

I am not one to make an issue of 39.5 hours versus 40.5 hours in some week, personally.

noril

I keep hearing these horror stories about guys being slammed all the time. I seriously haven’t gotten overtime since summer Covid peak even the last two peaks the only OT I got was from Saturday’s. I picked a new trip with a late letterbox just to get the OT from it and so I got guaranteed time. All the trips around me are cut every other day. None of the covers or 22.4s are working, months now. They call me at least three times a week asking me if I want the day. 8 hours aren’t honored, but they will give you the day. They’re cutting so much now that we are working late and going out heavy but it’s still less than a 9.5 day. Nobody can be pleased on this issue. Either it’s how dare they make us work so much or how dare they take all the overtime away.
I'm fine with the idea of working more than 8 hours on some given day if that extra work gets balanced with some extra days off

Thebrownblob

I have met people who I don't think really want to work any hours and those are NOT the kind of people I like being around. You obviously know the people you are thinking of far better than I do, but I would remind you that 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week has been considered "standard" for a full-time job, in large part thanks to the hard work of labor unions over time.

I am not sure what part you consider to be a rant. That is certainly not the way I intended my OP to be seen... This is contract negotiation time and the union has sought the input of the rank and file. Many other people have complained about excessive, unwanted overtime and I have tried to present a workable solution here with the hope that an idea will work its way up...

I get that you have to accept certain challenges or discomforts which simply come with some particular job. I understand that long haul truck drivers need to accept that they will spend days away from home at a time. Also, driving for UPS will always be a different, grittier experience than say working the front desk at a doctor's office, and there is absolutely no language that can be written into our UPS-Teamster contract to make that unchangeable reality otherwise, but I do believe that at least most drivers SHOULD be able to have 40 hour a week jobs at UPS, IF THEY SO WANTED, at least for most of the year. If someone's ideal is working 8-9 hours per day, I am fine with that too. I have no desire to impose a fix on something which someone doesn't view as broken. Ditto for the person who has concluded that 11-12 hours is what ultimately works best for him.

I want to say again what I said in my OP: As best I remember from recently looking at the package car driver rosters at the hub out of which I work, approximately 10% of the people on the lists are out longer term due to some injury. I strongly suspect that this level of driver injury occurs as a result of all the overtime full time package car drivers have typically had to put in all throughout the year and that we would all be better off - rank and file workers and the corporation - if full-time drivers at least had an easy option of working right around the standard 40-hour work week and getting the off time to rest and recover properly in order to stay safe and in good health.

On a more personal level, after spending close to four years as a preloader, I went on to become a part-time air driver nearly 20 years ago where I have chosen to stay and it has worked out for me so far. One reason among others I have not wanted to go full time is because of all the overtime I know I would be required to put in whether I wanted to or not. I can list in my mind plenty of people who went full time package from part time air driving only to then find themselves getting injured after say 1 to 4 years. Some of those drivers eventually took some settlement and left UPS altogether. It is my thinking that if their hours hadn't been quite so long, they would have managed as full-time drivers just fine...
Eight hours has indeed always been what most consider a normal work week.

But anybody who came to this job thinking ever going to work just 8 hours, was definitely not pay attention. That’s the reason we had an eight hour request for production of work since I’ve been here.

FromOffTheStreets

Eight hours has indeed always been what most consider a normal work week.

But anybody who came to this job thinking ever going to work just 8 hours, was definitely not pay attention. That’s the reason we had an eight hour request for production of work since I’ve been here.
I think everyone is aware that they are getting into a more than 40 hour job. The dollar signs overrule the hesitation in the beginning & up to the point where a decision has to be made on what is more important, money or family/self.

The family/ self people are advocating for 8 hour days, knowing it will probably never happen. They like the job & want to stick around but will leave in the end.

The money people are either divorcees or have no reason to get off of work to do anything.

It just comes down to your circumstance, unless your buddies with mgmt & they let you off whenever you need it.

Thebrownblob

I think everyone is aware that they are getting into a more than 40 hour job. The dollar signs overrule the hesitation in the beginning & up to the point where a decision has to be made on what is more important, money or family/self.

The family/ self people are advocating for 8 hour days, knowing it will probably never happen. They like the job & want to stick around but will leave in the end.

The money people are either divorcees or have no reason to get off of work to do anything.

It just comes down to your circumstance, unless your buddies with mgmt & they let you off whenever you need it.
Well, I’m privy to everybody’s hours in my center there is no one working over 95 more than a couple times a week. Matter fact now people are starting to volunteer for Saturday because they’re not getting any hours.
And I will reiterate, with the rare exception, the people who leave and go to Feeders have absolutely no problem working 11 or 12 hours every day. They love it. There is no eight hour days. There is no 95 in feeders.
What are boils down to is people don’t like the kind of work they’re doing most likely because they’re running their nuts off and are too afraid to actually follow the methods and stick it back in Managements face.

Followed me last week and did a safety audit and DR audit on me. They were agitated they couldn’t find anything wrong with either because I follow the methods a lot of those packages went to the back door because there was no safe place to DR.

I would have so much fun if they put 200 stops on me they would be pulling their hair out.

bdmiz

Go drink some Bud Light you little dicked tranny, I’ll rip your eyebrows off. You want a part time job go work at Macys with your gay father.
I don't drink beer. I work 50-55 hours a week on average and I never stated I wanted a part time job. My father is quite masculine and not gay, he has a son. I'm a bit perplexed I had to explain these things to you.

See original statement. You need to get laid. I can feel the tension through the text.