How about a 40.0 list instead of a 9.5 list...

FromOffTheStreets

I am sorry to read something like this because you seen like a decent man and a good worker who is perfectly willing to put in an honest days work for an honest days pay, but I believe I understand why you feel the way you do.

Your experience is a big part of why I have chosen to remain a part-time air driver. The hourly wage is $7.585 less and the part timer pension isn't as good, but I may have made a good trade off since I am planning to stay for at least a total of 30 years.
Fortunately I've been able to handle the "driving $" wisely. We're completely debt free & can save everything the next 5 years & then go to a 9-5 job.

We've had 3 guys (all solid drivers) with almost 20 years driving quit so they could be apart of their kids lives. It is what it is.

We've had around 10 guys with under 2 years quit & a lot of part timers not want to go driving. I always try to explain to them that they just need to put in about 10-12 of these hard years so that they can get ahead financially & then coast out. It really makes a difference when you can make 100k for 6-8 years compared to 30 or 40k through that time.

You bring up some interesting points, but let it be known that I have also saved some of the money I have made. UPSers who live more fugally and save are the more "dangerous" ones who need to be especially "feared" because we can easily handle going without a few paychecks if a strike should occur. Anyway, I may have digressed...

Now raises are needed just to keep up with inflation and the increasing cost of living... so the adequate 85K of 2023 will not be the same adequate 85K of 2028.
I'll tell you now, the $118k of 2020 was not near the same as $116k in 2022.

Brownwind

Working until 8pm every day would piss me right the :censored2: off.
Yeah it’s not fun. I got the opportunity to go in early and it helps out getting in plus I get a lot of overtime.
But you’re correct when I had the chance to work less in January it definitely helped with my morale. I fortunately have a route near family and friends that helps the social life.

Yeah it’s not fun. I got the opportunity to go in early and it helps out getting in plus I get a lot of overtime.
But you’re correct when I had the chance to work less in January it definitely helped with my morale. I fortunately have a route near family and friends that helps the social life.
I'm rural and live in a small town, so I'm always around friends and family. I just :censored2:ing hat working after dark, and I hate 930-1000 start times. Working 10s and starting at 1000 would make me boil. Idk how many days you give me for a weekend.

JustDeliverIt

I'm rural and live in a small town, so I'm always around friends and family. I just :censored2:ing hat working after dark, and I hate 930-1000 start times. Working 10s and starting at 1000 would make me boil. Idk how many days you give me for a weekend.

You hit it perfectly, the start times are garbage. I don’t think anyone would mind working 9/9.5 daily if we left the building at 8 to 8:30 at the latest. A handful of routes with late start times because at late pickups should be the exception, not the standard.

ThePackageDeli

This post goes hand in hand with what I've been saying about PVD's the last couple days.

How will we ever achieve a 40-hour work week without putting more drivers on the road? (which has never happened)?

The only other solution I can think of is to turn to all those teamsters who are only getting about 25 hours a week for help.

Let them sum' beeches get 30-hours a week, c'mon baby! Woo!

Oh Get there! Get there! Get there!

Last edited:
This post goes hand in hand with what I've been saying about PVD's the last couple days.

How will we ever achieve a 40-hour work week without putting more drivers on the road? (which has never happened)?

The only other solution I can think of is to turn to all those teamsters who are only getting about 25 hours a week for help.
Like I posted before what about the liability of delivering your personal vehicle?

JustDeliverIt

Because you're using your personal vehicle for business not personal use

That's why you can get a ride or on your insurance policy for being an Uber driver

He doesn’t get it or he doesn’t want to get it, take your pick.

He’s hell bent on getting PVD’s all the time without the consideration of long term damage. You’re wasting your time friend.

Brownwind

But you're still self insured correct? UPS can't insure an automobile that it doesn't own.
The Teamsters fought hard for me decades of good jobs and I was young guys because they're a bunch of Karen's are willing to give it up
Instant gratification. First time they get in a wreck and get a ten million dollar lawsuit against them because of their actions then it will sink in. Once a few of these guys get pushback legally and left with the bill they will change their attitude. Made 60 bucks though.

rod

Retired 22 years
Damn this younger generation is LAZY. If you were looking for a 40 hour week WHY in hell did you decide UPS was the place for you?