How Big (or small) is your center

hexmurph

Last I checked we had about 1250 employees. 120 overhead doors. 6 outbound air belts. 4 inbound air belts. Our building doesnt have ground routes anymore, only run EAM and OCA. We get about 30-40 or so inbound flights a day. And lots of feeders coming and going.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
25 PD’s, 100 unload doors, 4 package centers with 300+ total drivers, 500 feeder drivers and counting.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I worked: 22-23 drivers ------1 and half 53 footers for the average daily load.

Now: 38 drivers 9-10 of the smaller trailers a day I'm told.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had 53 footers back then?
Must have been 48 drop frames. I remember getting one of those heavy plywood doors on my head a few times and having to lift all the crap that was packed under the rollers up out of your power zone. Have i told you lately how tough we had it?

trickpony1

Maybe 48 ft drop frame. When was the last time you saw one of those on the road

Our hub was built 1978-1979.
They doubled the hub size, but not the yard size, around 1987-88.
Back then we had 40 foot drop frames and 26 foot (yes, 26 foot) drop frames.
As time went by the trailers got bigger but the yard didn't.
It's a 3 ring circus now.

I've never seen a 48 foot drop frame.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Our hub was built 1978-1979.
They doubled the hub size, but not the yard size, around 1987-88.
Back then we had 40 foot drop frames and 26 foot (yes, 26 foot) drop frames.
As time went by the trailers got bigger but the yard didn't.
It's a 3 ring circus now.

I've never seen a 48 foot drop frame.
I haven’t seen a drop frame of any length in over a decade, those things went the way of the dodo. They were a rolling safe work methods nightmare whether you were loading the belly out of your power zone or loading on top of the flaps having to bend all the way over to the floor for every box. Don’t even get me started on how many times I’ve had my head or fingers slammed by those damn flaps.

Last edited: